1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Massively Dysfunctional *MDF* (Update Nov.30th... Final Pics!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by youeffsee, 6 Aug 2009.

1. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

Paintmaster.

2. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

great job on the fabrication. the paint looks great. Imho - photos never do a mod justice so I bet they are better then what we can see. :thumb:

great job on the garage - I also mod my garage... frequently. lol but being in California - I dont have to deal with your temps, though it should help out with overclocking. :D

3. youeffsee

youeffsee What's a Dremel?

Flashback!

Thanks guys!! All your feedback has inspired me to enter the modding showdown @ NMC. Ive had a ton of fun so far building this case and have become a full fledged modder... It basically consumes all my free time and Ive made some coin off it, Im already looking forward to my next project (with planning this time)

So to every1 that has replied to my threads so far... Cheers boys, I owe every1 of ya a beer!

@ bootupbuddha - I would give up winter freezeout OC runs to trade you places. :thumb::p

Quick update... Flashback!

I found some missing pics while I cleaned my computers this weekend. I knew I had pics of the res and pump placement but could never find them. Here they are.

1st I carved out a hole to place the bottom fitting in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top fitting will fit into a slot on the bottom of the HD cage.
    [​IMG]

Next a place for the pump.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both in place.
    [​IMG]

Alright so if any1 has been wondering what those holes were for you now know. ;)

Everything is finished painting and is curing in a hot room. (walkin closet with a heat lamp cycling) Ill post an update of the finished paint real soon. I plan to start installing the FZEs this weekend. And than onto the components and wiring. Should finally have everything done by the end of Nov. :clap:

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Looking good!

It's nice to see Coolit Systems staff building their own rigs too and posting logs ;)

I'm curious to see how those FZE's handle the system.

5. youeffsee

Thx Jasio. I wouldnt say Im CoolIT staff... Im all about supporting local companies... They have been very very good to me so I offer to moderate there forum and help with things, there a great group of guys but I am not on any CoolIT payroll so not officially staff. ;)

About the dual FZEs.. They should perform similar to a Boreas if not slightly better. Ill make sure to post temps once its running. :thumb:

Heres the pics of the final paint. Still just all individual pieces, Im gonna make you all wait a couple more days before I slide it all together. (I want to let it cure for 2-3 more days, everything slides together very tight)

Top cover for MB compartment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motherboard tray.
    [​IMG]

I like this pic.
    [​IMG]

Taping the HD cage. (This seriously took 4hrs... I hate taping)
    [​IMG]

But its like xmas taking the tape off!!
    [​IMG]

Front panel.
    [​IMG]

Front of PSU bay.
    [​IMG]

Back of PSU bay.
    [​IMG]

The FZEs exhaust.
    [​IMG]

The main body all taped for accents. This took so long I fell asleep halfway.
    [​IMG]

Phew, that was alotta tape.
    [​IMG]

Top of the inside. Oh yaaa... looking good.
    [​IMG]

Bottom.
    [​IMG]

Left side.
    [​IMG]

Right side.
    [​IMG]

Full view of inside.
    [​IMG]

The back.
    [​IMG]

PSUs home.
    [​IMG]

Alright theres the final paint. I think it turned out pretty good.... Its taking all my will power to not put parts in it yet.

Gotta cure...... :wallbash:

Last edited: 18 Nov 2009
  6. bagman

bagman Minimodder

wow that looks really good are you sure you have never done this before

7. youeffsee

Thx bagman. Nope 1st build, 1st mod of any kind really. 3 yrs ago I couldnt even turn on a computer. lol

8. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

This is awesome! But should've been all white in my opinion :p Thats just the apple fanboy in me... :D

9. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

...crashed with my head onto the case, ripping it apart. Now I have to start from scratch and I have a blot of paint on my forehead. :duh:

10. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

lookin good. I like you color choice.

11. youeffsee

Thx n0va. I had a few sketchups of different colors (cant find em now) and plain white just looked to plain. Although black shows every little imperfection and white hid it, could have saved a ton of time.

I didnt know there was any apple fanboys. :eeek::p

@ Loom - As long as the blot of paint is blue, I already have a blot of black on my head. Ironically from doing this... :duh:

I could bang my head off the case all day before it would break... I plan to stand on it when its done. :naughty:

Thx sk8roy - I was going for an icy cool look on the interior.

12. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

very nice, looks kind of greek. i like it :)

13. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Damn.. that doesnt even look like wood, it looks like plexi! good job! I shall watch this one :)

14. youeffsee

Thanks alecamused. :thumb:

Haha thank you null_x86, In the beginning I had basically no tools so a plexi/fiberglass build wasnt an option... But making it look like 1 was a major goal of the build.

Next rnd of pics.

Pics pretty much speak for themselves.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Air intake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sooo close. :jawdrop:
    [​IMG]

The grills mounted flush when flipped backwards. :thumb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted the front display.
    [​IMG]

Mounting the MTEC controller.
    [​IMG]

Installing some LEDs inside the FZEs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing big today. Ill be installing the FZEs and the rest of the loop tomorrow. Time to see if this turns out like the pictures Ive been seeing in my head for the last 6 months. :clap:

15. youeffsee

Next rnd.

Today I started with some dampeners for the hard drives. I used some insulated tape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished the DVD drive.
    [​IMG]

Finished all my wiring. I had no choice but to use used wire and sleeving... It doesnt look the best but it works. I ordered new sleeving but it will not make it to me before the deadline. Im going to remake a new wiring harness once stuff arrives.
    [​IMG]

The motherboard mounted.... Now we know its getting close to the end!
    [​IMG]

Mounted a few cathodes. I wanted a dim even light throughout so I used cathodes instead of LED. (Im outta LED anyhow lol)
    Mounted 1 under the HD cage.
    [​IMG]
    Mounted the other ontop of the mobo compartment with some mirror backing it.
    [​IMG]

And finally the FZEs mounted and ready to go!!
    [​IMG]

Sidewindow.
    [​IMG]

MTEC controller wired up. Once I get more wire and sleeving this will get redone 2. It will be hidden though so no big rush. ;)
    [​IMG]

HD cage installed.
    [​IMG]

It holds the res inplace.
    [​IMG]

Heres a full view as it sits now.
    [​IMG]

Just have to slide it all together. The next update should be the final one!!!

Enjoy.

16. youeffsee

Finished

Well since video is more dramatic than pics... I give you the unveiling of Massively dysfunctional... In video! :thumb:

The Unveiling.

Up And Running.

In Its New Home.

The monitor on the left is 22". Monitor on the right is 42". Black box beside it is a logitech z-5500 subwoofer. Should give ya an idea of its size.

Well there it is.... DONE!!!

Thanks for stickin it out guys. I hope the final product was worth the wait. Its been a ton of fun to build this thing and enter competitions... Theres that part of me thats always gonna have to compete at something. So with that in mind Im already thinking about another build. I promise it to be even bigger and better. Plus all my new tools will save me months of time.

Speaking of bigger and better... Look what showed up at my door yesterday. Thanks Jon!:thumb:
    [​IMG]
    Ohh, I have plans for you.

Hope to see every1 back for my next build. Keep your eyes on the threads...its coming. :thumb:

Last edited: 29 Nov 2009
  17. youeffsee

Alright now time for my final pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is 1 of my favorite pics. ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark_Hardware and dark_avenger like this.
  18. youeffsee

Wow, not a single reply since I completed this build almost 2 months ago.:eyebrow:

Well heres a quick update.

Massively Dysfunctional took home 2nd place in NewModCitys Ultimate Showdown. It was a great time. I cant believe it. I look forward to many more competitions. :clap:

When designing the air flow I made sure to incorporate a way to flip the flow direction. Since I planned to push all the system air out through the FZEs at the bottom I wasnt sure if this would suffocate the FZEs in too much warm air from the system.

After a few months of running its clear that that is exactly what is happening. Everything is fine while just doing normal tasks and at idle but when gaming its another story.

The added heat from the vid card is too much and it starts a heating cycle were the FZEs actually work against me.

The warm air from the card hits the fins on the FZE and doesnt allow it to cool, inturn forcing the FZEs to run at 100% in order to cool the coolant, that causes more heat on the FZEs fins, they get warmer and warmer. Suffocation. Its nasty. :miffed:

So in order to fix this I flipped the top set of fans to exhaust. The airflow now goes the opposite direction of this picture.
    [​IMG]

A few pics of it open while working on it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also decided to give the FZEs a little xmas present. There each got a 92mm fan . :D

So I pulled out the bottom side windows and cut a quick fan grill out of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted the fans up and mounted them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has completely fixed the problem and is working even better now with the addition of the 2 new fans.

The vid card idles around 35c and hasnt passed 50c yet. I have 1 of them messed up e8400s that doesnt read temps correct. The FZEs have no problem keeping the coolant below 25c at 40% no matter what. :clap:

Alright now Massively Dysfunctional is finished..... For now. :lol:

Keep an eye out for my next build, called Ultimate Serenity. Its already in the works and is sponsored by EVGA and of course the boys at CoolIT so far. It will be something truly unique as well as a huge challenge for me.

Thanks for stickin it out with me. :thumb:

19. Mark_Hardware

Mark_Hardware What's a Dremel?

Looks totally sweet man! Job well done, and congrats on finishing the project and competition. Plus rep from me, you earned it! I'm jealous of your mad woodworking and paint skills.

Hey out of curiousity how tall is this bad boy?

20. youeffsee

Thx Mark.

Its 28 1/2" from floor to top of the DVD drive. Heres a pic of it beside my Mozart Tx and a mid size case.
    [​IMG]

Aterius Gmork likes this.