1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Writers Guild of America game nominees announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

The Saboteur was an amazing game, suprised that's not in there as a wildcard.

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Wovlerine was actually, quite an enjoyable game (not sure the story was award worthy, but still...).
    I really enjoyed the story in AC2, glad it's getting a nomination.

Typo? should that be 'and' and nominations'?

4. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the 'dubious decisions' are WET and Wolverine?

I actually totally agree with WET being including, as arguably the best part of that game was it's lead character (well voiced by Eliza Dusku). They followed in the Half-life 2 tradition of having a heroine that isn't overly sexualised.

As to the quality of the rest of the game, I cannot comment other than to say that while playing the demo, my girlfriend 'liked' it which is probably the best praise anyone has given WET (she actively dislikes video games).

If anything, the most dubious nomination is Modern Warfare 2. While I enjoyed the game, the writing and dialogue sounded like a retarded Michael Bay rewriting an episode of Generation Kill.

The post is Oscar Mike.

5. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

PvZ had a better storyline than all those games.

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

WET was worse than dubious, it was awful.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Writers Guild of America are not gamers then

8. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

nominees is correct but the are sure is a typo.

I must say that I don't know about WET and never played X-men but today's movie adapted games aren't so good since the movie wasn't quite that nice

9. SubtleOne

SubtleOne What's a Dremel?

Guess Batman and Dragon Age weren't worth mentioning...

10. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Uncharted is just brilliant, love the game and can wait for the next :) Assassins Creed 2 is still waiting for me to gather the funds. MW2 is still aiting to be played along with Wolverine so cant comment. Wet is one I was thinking of getting but wonder it it is pants because it dropped in price so quick after launch. Can be boughtt for £13 at xmas and it was only out a short while.

11. theineffablebob

theineffablebob What's a Dremel?

Wow, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's story was horrible.

12. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Batman is Batman, and Dragon Age's story was practically a Xerox of Mass Effect awesome game nonetheless.

13. WGA Writer

WGA Writer What's a Dremel?

Firstly, the WGA's rules DO NOT discriminate in favor of members -- we invite all nominees to become members of the WGA's Videogame Writers Caucus (our working group for game writers) upon nomination, but ANYONE can nominate their own games.

Secondly, we don't nominate the games ourselves, we depend upon the game writers to do so. If a game you loved isn't here, it's probably because it wasn't nominated. Sometimes this can take the form of the writer being too lazy to send in the application form, other times, it's because a company is terrified of unions (Electronic Arts) and won't allow their employees to nominate themselves for an award given out by a dirty, dirty union (cough cough Microsoft cough).

Thirdly, we are a Guild of Writers... we will not allow the nomination of a game where the company doesn't credit the Writer. EVERY game has actor credits... our stance is that we're at least as important as the actors (if not moreso, as usually they wouldn't have a job without a writer first putting words in their mouths). So, sadly, some games fall by the wayside because the company has an archaic and random manner of crediting their employees, such as alphabetically and without job titles attached (to make it harder for competitors to steal their employees, I suspect). If those companies make a good faith effort to credit their writers in the Press or online, we have been known to change our minds, but that's sadly the reason that games like Bioshock or Resistance haven't been nominated in the past... because the Developer likes to pretend that they don't have writers.

Because we're judging the WRITING in the game, we need a script to read. That's why we don't just pick a game from amongst the games we've enjoyed that year and say "oh, Death Kill 6 was the best written game of the year" -- because we're judging the writing, not the gameplay. These games are read and judged by professional game writers who are members of the WGA. Teams of five writers score each game, and the five highest-scoring games are the nominees, and are then read again by a separate panel of game writers (some of the biggest in the business). Our winner genuinely reflects the best writing in games from amongst the games submitted to us, which is all we can accurately judge.

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

@WGA Writer: Cheers for the info :)

Tags: Add Tags