1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Fractal Design R2 Case Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 15 Jan 2010.

1. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Performance is an amalgamation of both low noise and low temperatures. This IS possible with the right configuration of low noise/larger fans. Most cases just go too far one way or the other and it ends up as a compromise - otherwise we'd be praising jet engine high performance cases that you'd never actually be able to stand to be in the same room as. The same principle, reversed applies here.

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

We can't test for every single setup, or every single system someone might want to install. We have deadlines and simply don't have the time, let alone the comparative results from other cases loaded out with thier max compliment of hard disks. The vibration dampening silicon mounts do a great job, just as they've done in Antec cases for ages.

As for adding more fans, we decided not to do so in reviews and only review what came in the box - it's the only way to be fair across the board. In this case, We'll do some follow up testing after the phenomenal demand from the forums, but the majority of the time we'll stick to only reviewing what comes out of the box - that seems fair doesn't?

3. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Thank you. Here's interesting - I don't think "we" are interested in fair or comparative - we're just very interested in this specific case. I am using a HAF 922 and it's too noisy and dirty. Also I am bored of flashing lights (especially blue!) And perhaps the interest in this case shows that others are thinking the same.

Fantastic to see y'all listen tho...

4. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

And this is why bit-tech is great! :) This was one of the reviews review I was wating for!

I'm in the re-test with more fans camp too. But I think its more because this is an exceptional case that everyone has been waiting a long time for. Were it not for the poor temps it could have been nearly perfect, but there is a easy path to remedy it. The question is assuming the use of decent fans (like GT's), is the cooling much better and just how much louder will it be?

I wonder what Antec is going to do once this swallows there P-Series sales? There latest offerings have been far from fantastic.

5. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

This is definitely my style of PC case: MINIMAL

I would take it without the inconvenient door tho.

Also agree that there should have been a noise test done for this.

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

This strikes me as a P180 clone...which in fairness isn't a bad idea! Similar looks, Similar design, Similar noise deadening, Similar price.....which is better?

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the Antec p180 and P182's elegantness lives on! and im very glad seeing it beating the P183 at its own game.

hopefully they will have more of similar stuff in the future, im really excited.

8. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Baz, you legend! Thank you. I totally agree with the methodology as standard, it's just that this is a special case, if you'll pardon the pun. Very excited to see how this turns out.....

Guest-16 likes this.
  9. leslie

leslie Just me!

This was my first thought as well, a P180 with more conventional internals less weight too I would hope). I think these are cheaper than a p180 here, which is also good.

As for BT not testing with extra fans, I have agreed with them on this before, it's too big of a job to do properly really. I do think in certain cases though, just tossing a few fans for some quick unofficial results would be nice in cases where there is a lot of mounts but no fans, obviously effecting performance.

I like this case and would love to see some rough numbers. This would be a decent replacement for my 300.

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Nope, it's heavier (those sheets of bitumen on the side panels aren't light), but then it also has support for full size ATX motherboards.

11. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

Hmm.

Antec called, they want their P182 design back.

12. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I'm still using a P180, great case, however the only downside is the lack of space around the motherboard, especially motherboards with a second pcie slot right at the bottom of the board. It's makes this slot pretty redundant for a second dual slot graphics card, as it is so close to the base of the motherboard compartment.

I've been looking for a replacement and this might just fit the bill.

13. gurboura

gurboura TopLevel Computers

No offense to bit-tech and it's staff, you guys do a great job, but some of those cases you put this case up against, would've been a no brainer the Fractal would've had worse temperatures. You put the Fractal against an HAF 922, which is night and day between the two in airflow.

The fact the Fractal has a little higher temps than the SilverStone FT01, which is also a 230 dollar case, and has a 120mm fan in front with no front door, should've been mentioned. It also had slighty higher temps than the Akasa Omega which was a recommended bit-tech recommended.

14. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

Nice to see a review of my new case! I cant wait to get mine and performance mod the crap out of it - Gentle typhoons, 140mm fans and wire management up the wazoo!

15. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

I want NEED

16. Reverse

Reverse Reverse/srvR

Good review on the case I'm currently modding, too bad you didn't add more fans...
    Everybody (on this forums) who would buy one of these cases would insert more fans. Am I right?

17. Xir

Xir Modder

The PSU on the bottom and PSU intake from the outside is pretty much a watercooling thing, right?
    If i remember correctly the ATX standard was designed especially with the idea of the PSU sucking hot air away from top of the CPU.

Is it possible to mount the PSU with the fan to the inside?

Ah the hours spent sticking bitumenplates into Antec cases....bloody heavy they were afterwards...and hotter. :D

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

when that standard was created CPU cooling wasnt as to par as it was now nor was the rest of the equipment inside, so it acted as an additional cooling element, but now thats not the case and such henders current PSU, thus taking in cleaner cooler air versus hotter air in more demanding setups.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

and isn't that just what this (and other silent) cases need? To utilise a fan that's running anyway to reduce the temperature? (okay it might have to run a bit faster when the air's hot)

Besides, I know people with problems because of hot CPU's / Memory / GPU's...but problems because of a PSU that run's a bit hotter? Know anyone?

20. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Yeah, plenty... apart from shortening the life of the PSU, you are only going to ramp up the noise.

If you buy a decent, efficient PSU with 'silent' cooling, perhaps you can get away with it, but why bother? These units are designed to cool themselves, and not act as an auxiliary exhaust fan - hence why so many case designs have PSUs in a lower position or even in a separate compartment.

Tags: Add Tags