1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming VVVVVV Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 17 Jan 2010.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

pls tell me you are being sarcastic :eyebrow:

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's not a bad little game once you get to the bounce puzzles.. and yeah joe I dunno how I made it past that up and down thing in the room next to that.. it just happened XD

3. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

I mean it. I played Prince and I know the feeling.
    But I must say that that feeling was too ... old.
    My second life is important and it should not be ... black.:D

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

You are joking, right? The thing that makes indie games special is they can showcase new and interesting gameplay, or even old and polished gameplay, because they don't have to focus on graphics like "sell to the masses" studios have to. One of the things that forces indie developers to make interesting games is that they do not have the billions necessary to develop a modern graphics engine. And even if they did, have you ever played Far Cry 2? Stunning looking game, modern engine, absolutely horrible to play. The pretty graphics did bugger all to compensate for the horrible storyline and terrible detailing and mechanics; they're nothing more than gloss on what could have been.

Would Tetris or Pacman benefit from AA and particle shader effects? Or would FC2 benefit from a total revision of gameplay? Gameplay > Graphics.

5. bridgesentry

Very good said friend. I just said about indies who have graphic engine but lack of art design teams. You said about indies who have nothing to start with. Well then we all should come back to price "problem". And I think any indie can have "coloured" graphic engine. They can download some source from Microsoft to make it. I just think so:D

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

:rolleyes: IMHO

7. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

Agreed, It is ridiculously expensive. Garry's mod is still cheaper, along with many other recent-ish games for <£5

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Just looking at the screenshots reminded me of the speccy and JSW et al, fun games (even without the graphics), saddens me to see the above trashing it just on the graphics. kids today (grumble grumble gruble)

9. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I like the graphics on this game! It fits with the style of retro gameplay and soundtrack.

There is room in my games collection for graphics masterpieces and retro indie games.

Check out Jesper's Journeys too if you like VVVVVV: http://www.lexaloffle.com/jasper.php

10. Florian

Florian Minimodder

I enjoyed the flash demo, though I found its controls a bit laggy.

The demo was good enough to make me curious about the full game, but its price is definitely what's keeping me from buying it. I'm sure we've all invested $15 in worse stuff, but it's "steep" enough to make me consider what other games you can get for the same amount. We're all spoiled by Steam sales and even indie developers need to take that into account. At $5 it probably would have been an impulse buy, even $10 seems somewhat more reasonable compared to minigames on XBLA or PSN.

11. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

I myself would probably give this game a score of 2 max XD The idea maybe good but the graphics are simply... ugly! (IMO) If you guys really like a simple yet addictive games, have you tried Plants vs. Zombies from PopCap? That's one hell of a game! Very addictive gameplay + very nice graphics!

12. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Quick message to anyone who looks at the graphics and can only think "urgh!" - this game is not for you, you are too young.

I loved the demo, even the loading screen border had me thinking back to those good ol' days. It's a nostalgia trip with the benefit of a couple of decades worth of design lessons thrown into the mix. I also think the stripped out graphics actually help the game play. If you had to watch some hi detail death sequence every time you died, the frustration level would be intolerable and the game would take twice as long to finish.

13. bridgesentry

I guess Resident Evil 4 Hurted you right?:naughty:

Last edited: 19 Jan 2010
  14. woodss

woodss Yes Louis Wu

Damn strait it is

15. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

I can see the addictive quality given the overall simplicity of the game, but £9 to be able to play a full version is just asking too much, as a free flash game it may keep me interested for a while, but only a while...

The game tries to give the illusion of gravity, when in reality it's just a top down game that requires you to be stuck to either the top or bottom of the screen whilst moving along. It just takes me back to a time of text adventures where the premise was simply to have you playing the game for hours mindlessly without having to really think about why.

Tags: Add Tags