1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: ThermalTake Level 10

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

+1!

That Corsair case looks incredible, definitely a better built case than this one- and cheaper!

2. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Nice idea, but it seems to be a bit like some concept cars: the ones that look GOOD but you can tell will be stupidly expensive to make and even then will be made cheaply so the manufacturer doesn't make a loss and which are essentially one big rust trap.
    As moment=force x distance, I wonder what effect an enormous air cooler would have on the already visible lean...

3. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I agree, when a review of the Corsair 800D Obsidian?

The leaning of the case does deserve a thumbs down. It's aluminium but for god's sake, it has to be sturdy, imagine a Thermalright TRUE Copper in there and I bet the case thumbles down or even with a Noctua or Scythe Orochi (the last I think it doesn't fit). I think they want us to use the Titan Fenrir xD

4. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

:( Such a great concept and the manufacturer is Thermaltake, known for their big case...

wait for it...

wait for it...

...fails.

5. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

it's designed by BMW, everyone knows what top gear says about BMW drivers...say no more

6. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

I love the look and really different cases are few and far between... but as always with Thermaltake, very poor execution. And £500!

I'd like to see what comes out of the factory were the plans given to Lian-Li, Silverstone or Cooler Master. THAT might be someting worth the price.

7. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

for £500 I'd build one myself and it wouldn't have a cheap looking frontbay and it'd be a nicer color too... I can probably make it from cardboard without leaning effect

8. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

You are 100 percent correct, it does tilt.

I have recently done a build with this case and it leans like the one in the photo.

There are a few other problems I encountered, including the lack of room for most high end liquid heat pipe coolers. I used a Corsair H50 to get around the problem.

The aluminium finish is quality on this case.

It isn't the most beautiful case IMHO. From some angles, such as directly looking at the front, it can look a bit ugly. But the case is definitely different - but then, "different" doesn't necessarily automatically = good.

9. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

That was before all cocks moved to Audis, M3 drivers were cocks and now they all moved to Audi making the M3 a cool car and the RS4 and alikes the cocks' cars.

Z4 is a beautiful car and it's from BMW and I don't own one xD

10. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 What's a Dremel?

Wait, so, if it's made by BMW, does that mean that random electrical bits will stop working after a while? That's the standard German practice from my experience (BMW E30 M3, E46 330, 1.8t Passat wagon).

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It looks beautiful.... but otherwise it has too many issues.

...and that price tag! Like all BMWs then huh? Elevated prices on the back of a brand name that aspirational types feel pressured into buying.... but ultimately, an underwhelming product.

12. Crazyglue

Crazyglue What's a Dremel?

typical thermaltake product; looks good (or atleast stands out) but is poorly built and generally over priced for what you get.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It looks good, I wouldn't buy it though, not even at half the price.

For that kind of money, there should be no negatives in the review. Nice idea, poorly executed.

14. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

I take this like a "concept car" idea. Rarely do concept cars make it into production as they're presented. (Sure, like the Dodge Tomahawk, maybe 10 or so are made for the ridiculously rich...) I say what ALL case designers should do is take a look at the case and see what is GOOD and what is BAD.

Now I don't follow cases, so if all the ideas below are in a case for a reasonable price, LINK ME TO IT.
    - Hinged side door. No thumb screws, no panel, just push a latch and get to the guts.
    - Hinged or sliding drive bays. Have the PSU/Sata connectors connect to a port on the tray itself, have the drive snap into the tray like it was an enclosure. Thumb screws to hold it in place if needed.

Well... actually.... that's it. But the ideas come from the accessibility of this tower. Its a great concept, and even better on paper. But... I don't think it should have been produced. $500 (well actually more then $500 since that was in pounds) can get you an entire PC from a "What Hardware Should I Buy?" article. For a case to cost that much and be taken seriously, someone would have to reinvent the wheel and build one epic case.

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

cool design but too much $$$ for something you can't mod

16. bagman

bagman Minimodder

don't forget mercedes, lots of little things brake or don't work properly i can give you a numberr a reasons. and any way only the old BMW's brake a lot

17. livesabitch

livesabitch life is what you make it!

i would love one of those casses but i have to say im never going to spend £500 on the bloody thing! might as well make one of my own for a quater of the price!

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Thank you bit-tech for putting the finger on the problem with this case. It's certainly not the idea (love it or hate it, but it is pretty innovative and neat), and it's certainly not the aesthetics (we don't ALL have to like it), but it's the finishing touches.

I was on the verge of wanting one, you properly put me off :D

By the way, for a case like this, with one of the main design problems should be the preventing of the hideous tilt, how on earth did they not move the PSU (heaviest component) to the bottom? This lets you show off the mobo better, gets rid of the ugliest external cable when it's all hooked up, and in the process distributes the weight a lot better, at no drawback at all!
    Thermaltake, if you are reading this, give me a ring! ;)

19. Eurofix

Eurofix What's a Dremel?

Imagine how much better this case would be if made by lian li!

20. Toka

Toka Minimodder

MDPC - edelweiss

much more pleasing implementation of this compartmentalised design.

Tags: Add Tags