1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD finally makes a profit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Jan 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

My next CPU will be an AMD. These guys have been honest and have constantly tried to compete. Someone has to and that's why they deserve some support.

Eventually I hope they will be competing again with Intel on a very real level.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

While AMD/ATI have stolen a march on DX11 hardware, I'm afraid I'd stick with Intel as far as CPU's go.

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Always happy with that. If AMD were to fold there's be no competition to make Intel competitive on price or performance in future products.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i'm going to build an AMD based HTPC for my parents i could go either way but performance is not important so thought i would swing towards AMD

6. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I'm still running an AMD CPU from 5yrs ago and I've just bought my first ATi GPU. Feels good to support them. Although in reality, they're a big business just like any other.

7. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

This is pretty bad news, AMD has to earn money by suing people? What does that say about the company and the product? AMD lost its focus on producing CPU's because it wanted to go off and do other things. That's all there is to it. AMD will have to stop making CPU's if they can't manage to produce one that is more competitive.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

AMD didn't have to make money by suing people, they had to claw back what they lost due to Intels unfair anti competitive doings.

All they have done is taken back what should have been theirs.

If AMD had been able to trade as normal during that period then they may well have been more competitive performance wise now because they would have had the money to poor into research and development.

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would only buy the best which atm is intel if I want to be charitable I give my money to cancer research

pimonserry likes this.
  10. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

Yes but AMD had a competitive product, that was better in almost every way. But Intel stiffed their chance at a fair race when they decided in Mob style tactics to maintain an edge. Then Intel was afforded the capital to put into R&D to develop the Core architecture. I feel positive about AMD though considering what they have been able to achieve with their ATi line.

Now this Lawsuit has not only extended their contract for use of the X86 architecture indefinitely(I believe), but has allowed them to go fabless as they wanted. This was something that would not have been possible if Intel didn't fess up to their practices and come to an internal agreement with AMD. This will now allow them to completely devote their time and efforts to chip design.

Yes you can argue the point that Intel didn't actually admit to anything. But they did seem to hand AMD a very nice package to settle. Intel probably could have buried AMD in legal costs if it continued.

11. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

AMD still made a profit as reported in the news, get everything read and understand before saying such thing.

Have an AMD Atlhon XP 2500+ Barthon still running, my rig is an AMD 9950 BE and my brother a 955 BE, so pretty much AMD here, not fanboys but supporters. I would only buy Intel for two reasons, the first is that some kind of cpu that AMD launches and turns out to be pretty rubbish, then I wouldn't waste my money like that and two, is two equally performant cpu but Intel is cheaper since that isn't going to ever happen, I have only one xD

12. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Excellent, competition is always good :thumb:

I'd have to say though, there's always a reason they were losing money hand over fist. I have an ATI GPU (and it's great), but I wouldn't buy an AMD CPU unless they come out with a killer product at a low price. Performance-wise, Intel just beats them IMO.

I'd use AMD if I needed a budget system though, but I don't suspect they make much profit out of that.

13. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

And that's a good thing?

14. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's an excellent thing, when the two half's of the company were tied together neither were making a profit, since the split both are very healthy companies, yes AMD still need to play safe burning off the crippling debt it gained while trying to fight with Intel when that company wouldn't allow it's partners to work with AMD but it has definitely turned a corner. Global Foundry's has signed some massive contracts of late with the likes of Qualcomm.

15. banks1990

banks1990 What's a Dremel?

they don't have to constantly upgrade the fab to catch up with intel, which costs a lot of greens.

now they can put more effort and $$ into R&D to create a better cpu/gpu.

16. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Hope the monkey didn't get a wage freeze to obtain these results :(

17. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lol

19. dec

dec [blank space]

great AMD is making a profit. now make a competitor to nehalem (or better yet sandy bridge) that sells for less.

20. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

I'm an Intel/nVidia guy and will likely always be, but its good to keep AMD/ATI around, as their competition keeps prices down a bit.

Tags: Add Tags