1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bethesda working on MMO similar to Warcraft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Exciting. They have always made very very good RPG titles and an MMO is a natural extension and a money spinner for a company like theirs with a good pedigree in the field.

2012 release likely though? If they haven't announced anything yet.

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Sounds good.

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

If its 'very similar to World of Warcraft Online' I hope to god it isnt based on fallout!!

More than likely its going to be on the elder scrolls series, will it be able to gain a decent foothold in the market? The fan base is there but WOW seems to have that market almost entirely covered imo

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

There will be a market for the people like me who feel that WoW has gone too "WTFBBQOWNAGE" and is becoming too easy. I stopped playing when even the greatest noob could own in the game. WoW has no learning curve. It's just Login -> Epics.

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Not excited tbh, even though I'm probably the biggest Elderscrolls addict ever - 2000+h of Morrowind gametime.

"...very similar to World of Warcraft Online" most probably mean that there's no first person view and/or there is a leveling system similar to WoW. Both options are unwanted, Bethesda. :(

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

A lot of the ground work is already done from previous games, they already have lots of lore and quite a fleshed out world.

However, I'm not sure if I'd want to play an Elder Scrolls MMO. MMORPGs are completely different from normal RPGs. There's much less immersion into the game world and that's one of the main things that made Morrowind amazing IMO.

However, if they were to break away from the normal MMO systems that the majority of them use and go down a sort of EVE Online route of having a completely different gaming system, then that might be pretty interesting.

8. woodss

woodss Yes Louis Wu

Look forward to seeing if and what comes out of this

9. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Must be a ES type MMO. Interplay still owns the FO MMO rights so no go there.

10. veato

veato I should be working

I hope its a Fallout MMO

11. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Eldar scrolls cheesecake

12. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Been too long since an elder scrolls game was released. Lets hope it isn't like Oblivion world. 10 X 10 square of field with trees and copy and paste a few thousand times. A bit more variation would of been nice.

Lore is already there and if it played like morrowind/oblivion with a leveling system, it might actually work. Few changes like add special moves in combat and online PVP could actually work too. Would be better than the auto lock, get in range and spam of WoW's combat system since you would have to work in each battle.

13. sear

sear Guest

Elder Scrolls Online means I Don't Buy This One. **** MMOs, their monthly fees, their lack of immersion, their pointlessness, their awkward controls, their constant lag and server issues, their lack of story and progression, and most of all, **** all the idiots I am forced to engage with to play them.

14. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Would rather it be like Oblivion instead of Fallout 3, although I liked them both, I prefered Oblivion.

15. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you do not like the genre at all, that is fine. Enjoy the other 40% of the PC Games market, since 60% of it is going to be mmo, semi-mmo or episodic by 2012.

16. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

I hate MMOs, because they cost alot and I'm not really interested in a 3D version of msn messenger that games like WoW have become. This news would probably mean no new single player RPG for the Elder Scrolls, or a long delay, so thumbs down from me, as I'd rather have that.

17. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

They will probably insist in TES engine. I hope they stick to TES MMO rather than Fallout. I still hope that interplay can make the FO MMO. Bethesda, imo, is not capable of making a good MMO. It's just like GURPS and D&D. They have the potential, but they lack the creativity.

They have the mechanics but not the "human side".

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

The humans side in those games is provided by the humans, not everything has to be written down in the rulebooks :p

19. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

@ Veles:
    That's exactly what I am talking about. But looks like you got the opposite way. They make EVERYTHING by the rulebook. They lack sense of humor and maturity. That's why their games are so plastic-like

20. Dragunover

Dragunover What's a Dremel?

I doubt it will be TES style...

I would like to see a true Fallout MMO with rivaling factions and post-apocalyptic united states... would be nice, but then my idea for having 90%+ of interaction in such a game is rather pipe-dream..
    However, as with any MMO, I'd probably end up playing it and calling it crap. Most MMO's baby-sit you and don't have any real risk values involved.

Tags: Add Tags