1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Suggestions for a First Time Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cuddles, 22 Jan 2010.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles Need Hugs?

I've been hanging out here for a long time and I have decided to do my first Scratch Build.
    I've been building my own computers for a while now and it's time I did something different and build my own case (plus I'm bored).

The Build:
    Motherboard: DFI Lan Party Mini-ITX
    Graphics: 5770 or 5750
    Slimline Blu-Ray
    1.8" SSD

PSU: Need to be able to Power the above but want to go as small as I can get away with.

Going to use Transistor Oil to keep it submerged.

The plan: Use clear Lego's and Acryllic to create the case. Copper heat sinks to help keep the oil cool but to keep people from being burned I'll create a barrier.
    I want to create a computer that looks like the inner parts are wrapped in Glacial Ice. The Oil will look like water running under it. The Copper will be flamed so it will have a glistening rainbow sheen to it.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
    Thank You.

2. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

You don't really need such a smmall ssd. With a 5000 series gpu a 2.5 would be better.

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Lots of plans!

going to take alot of sealing! to make sure it does'nt leak don't want all that nice stuff leaking out on your desk

draw up some sketchup plans of what you want to do and i can give you some more advice on where to start :)

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

think you mean transformer oil, you can get it for about £60 for a big drum.

I had this idea a while back, however the cooling potential isn't that great considering how well water cooling can deal with heat. Plus its a nightmare cleaning anything removed.

5. Cuddles

Cuddles Need Hugs?

I was just a little tired but yeah I plan to use Transformer Oil. Plan is to use the Oil to destribute the heat to Copper Plates that are connected to the sides. I'll try and get a sketch up drawn but still learning the program, Have it drawn out though.
    Just got an antique typewriter and plan to use the key design to fab a keyboard to go with the Computer. Any ideas on how to do that because I know where I want to go with this but not how to get there.