1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Why Scan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkBanana, 13 Jul 2009.

1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I always use scan myself hardly ever buy cpu's from them though,
    I have a source that when they got them I can get them around £100- £150 cheaper than scan you just cant say no to that can you!.
    Apart from that pretty much every thing else from scan and you can get free post through Av forum 20 post and £75 min spend.
    Also I had some real issue's with overcockers their after sale's is appalling

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Minimum spend £75?

According to the AV forums its £20 +vat minimum, bought a £25 headset 4 days ago and got free delivery.

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I've said it before, ebuyer > scan.

4. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

i just build a PC and used http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ they offered much lower prices, and althought i payed £10 for overnight postage (which is their lowest) the people on the help line were extremely helpful and went WAY beyond.

people who shop at scan are simply fan boys, the prices are not "pennys" more expencive i think i saved around 60-70 pounds by going to overclockers and that includes the shipping.

its called people are stuck in their ways.........................................no offence or anything :)

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

It did used to be £20 but I read on the forum it had been changed to £75 not used it so I could be wrong or you was just lucky just thought might have something to do with when you joined the forum ?? must check that out I'm sure I did read that.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

The page I found on the AV forums was still saying £20+vat but of course that could be an old link, if it has gone upto £75 maybe they are honouring the older free delivery members with the old £20+ deal.

Edit.....just looked through the forums and seems we were both correct it had gone up to £75 but looks like they dropped it back down again which is nice.

Still don't like their customer service policies as I have a couple of issues with them.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2010
  7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Yeah i still get free del with them and order all my gear through them.

9/10 i get next day.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I use them because I've used them for 10 years+, and they know what they're talking about. Delivery times irrelevant for me, I live 40 minutes from them.

The showroom rocks as well... loads of beautifully modified cases on display :)

9. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

This is not generally indicative of Overclockers' service, which is highly mercurial. I bought almost all of my current rig from them (got the GPU from Scan), and aside from being delayed by a week it was all OK. However, I also bought a 160GB IDE HDD from them a few months later, and that turned up three months late and broken. The RMA was a bit of a nightmare too, I dislike paying for shipping to return something that was shipped to me broken.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I use a mixture of Scan.co.uk and Overclockers.co.uk. Scan have a wider choice of parts and is usually cheaper. Overclockers fill in any gaps and tend to have cheaper CPUs and memory. I've never had a problem with their service.

I once used Novatech to buy a limited edition part (my PSU) but otherwise find them much more expensive.

11. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The thing I like about Scan is the consistency. No ones denying that most OcUK orders go smoothly, but it can wrong alarmingly often. Also, getting free shipping with overclockers is a hell of a lot more hassle than scan.

12. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i find scan excerlent there customer service is brilliant i emailed them something about a rma on a sunday and i got a reply on the very same sunday i was so supprised when i got the reply as i thought they wouldn't be working then. excerlent service

and they also have a really good section of hardware the only place i can find is the lack of water cooling they don't have much choice to choose from there but there is always aquatuning and watercooling uk

13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

They once randomly sent me a free keyboard with my delivery and marked it as "gift".

That is all :)

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ive never used scan Tbh. I dont get the Scansure is added to my basket rant though, Yes it shows as being in your basket, but you cant proceed without passing the option to remove it clearly marked as STEP 1

I still use ebuyer dispite the well documented issues i had with them last year, I find their free delivery is usually next day, For instance i ordered a 1Tb F3 from them last week at 8:10PM and it still turned up next day in a UPS van.

From experience ive nearly always found scan to be more expensive than either Ebuyer or Novatech (My two of choice).

15. rizla4

rizla4 What's a Dremel?

lol M7ck, now I've got that off my chest I feel much better! :D

In the past I've always used ebuyer & scan.

I've never had any issues with ebuyer. In the past I've had to return faulty memory & RMA process was smooth.

I agree Scan is more expensive but still used them for peace of mind. Now I really don't see the point.

As for not removing the Scansure I was multitasking (never a good idea for blokes).

Last edited: 24 Jan 2010
  16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I don't use scan any more, i just find it easier to jump on the train and go down to Novatech.

Sam

17. craig3000

craig3000 What's a Dremel?

The only thing I can agree on is that scan have a large selection, personally I like OCUK and ebuyer are ok for some things, I think the interface could have some improving, OCUK is nice an quick to navigate around

EDIT: novatech are way overpriced :S

18. Vap0K177@r-22.C

Vap0K177@r-22.C What's a Dremel?

I stopped using scan after reading some of there responses in the hexus after care forum, especially regarding their partial refund bull, ebuyer i believe very briefly did this but quickly realised it was not a good idea scan on the other have seem to have stuck their heads in the sand and 2 fingers up at anyone who doesn't agree with what they decide is a reasonable amount of use from something and a fair refund amount :grr:

oh that and they would not refund/replace for me some blank dvd's that became unburnable/unreadable after a few months due to degradation, apparently according to scan dvd's are not covered by the Soga and consumer direct were wrong :wallbash:

Will be interesting to see what happens when I try to rma this dead abit motherboard I have :sigh:

dabs, ebuyer and novatech (though a little bit expensive) are who I rate now. Actually I think I spent more with Ocuk last year then I did with scan which is a scary thing:jawdrop:

19. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Id just like to add Tekheads, Specialtech, and Kustompcs to the list of companies worth a look, Sometimes they're a little expensive but they also carry products that you might not find anywhere else. Ive used them all in the past and only had good experiences.

20. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I've used Scan for years. My presence on these forums is relatively recent by comparison. I don't care who BT recommend. Scan's service is 100% in my experience. If a component is a £1 or so more expensive, so be it. I've had bad experiences from OcUK in the past and also eBuyer. Admittedly a long time ago, but since I moved to Scan........ well if it ain't broke......

The only other people I've used before more than once were KustomPCs because they stock some cool stuff.

I don't doubt there are other companies out there, but like most, for me Scan just works.