1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Thermalright Venomous-X CPU Cooler Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Jan 2010.

1. IXON

IXON What's a Dremel?

LOL I love reading the commical reviews & comments on Bit Tech

First up you get the people that know a thing or two about PC's that laugh & question some of the methods used by both Bit Tech and that rather silly mag Custom PC.

AND then you get the "Bit Tech disciples" as i like to call them, basically a bunch of skullcap wearing idiots that really haven't a clue what they doing and just follow whatever Bit Tech says..... ie if Bit Tech says it's crap it crap!!!!, without going of more creditable reviews from proper hardware sites, you know who you are!!.

I can tell you know some of these people moreso from Custom PC, never had any PC background before joining that mag hence why you get so laughable reviews, proberly some of these have filter over to Bit Tech aswell.

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

.......then you get trolls who have nothing better to do than make an account on said site, offer nothing constructive other than some flame bait remarks like some prepubescent kid. fcuk up or fcuk off, your choice.

Bit-tech post their methods and have numerous times defended them. Their tests are consistant so at least their results are comparable with each other. They use a case since thats the environment the product was "supposedly" designed to be used in. I can't see why anyone has a problem with that? Fair enough, they usually test in an antec twelve hundred which has fantastic air flow (Did you read the cases round up article in customPC where they actually tested airflow? Maybe you complaints about that would be nice since you clearly are more elite than anyone here) but maybe testing in a more restricted case would be better since not everyone has a case as good as that. Thats just nit picking however.

Out of interest IXON what did you find wrong with the review apart from the fact it was done by bit-tech?

3. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Wow, alot of worms wriggling out the woodwork.

I'm as supprised as anyone about these results but maybe calmly suggesting reasoning behind your utter disdain (or rock hard defence) would be to the benefit of everyone? For the record I'm for testing in a case as thats what most people keep thier PC's in (even 'Enthusiasts'). Although I note that the case used was not mentioned in the review?

Fans? I dont know. GT's probably would be a sutable mid-point for a HS but they have ribs that get in the way of most fan mounts. NF-P12's I find are overrated. Slipstream maybe? The SE1000's cant be that bad?

Probably the fastest quick parity check would be to use the same fans on a Megahelms and see what happens. Its well known to be slightly better then the TRUE in most cases.

TBH there is only one way that I can see this getting settled amicably; a re-run shootout of the top HS's with the same fans in the same case (just on 1366 for now as thats whats important). So Titan, V-X, TRUE, D14, H50 and Megahelms. Would be good to see a TRUE.revC thrown in too. That is a lota lota of work, but how much is reputation worth?

4. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

yeh with the same fan and thermal paste used on each cooler as well...

its ironic how it seems that people keep bringing up the case issue but the more important point like fan consistency and thermal paste get ignored.

Cause if i use the same heatsink but use the standard crappy white goo that comes with low end heatsink and then do another run using tuniq tx-3 or mx-3 i wonder what the temp difference will be. In most tests there is a huge gap between low end TIM and high end TIM often close to 5 degrees.

Also if i take a 20cfm standard quiet CM case fan and stick it on a TRUE then take a CM Hyper 212 and crank it on high then I can also say that the hyper is a better heatsink than the TRUE when in fact its simply not true (pun intended).

Also there hasn't been a single comment from bit-tech or the readers, on the matter of the fan's air pressure, various fans have different fan blade designs not just for CFM. Hence why some fans are better suited for radiators and other not, seeing as how densely packed the venomous is and how the fins are angled to cause turbulence, its only natural that you should use a fan with a higher air pressure. yes, I know you used the sunon, but how many people would do that, anyways you can get close to 80cfm at a reasonably low level if you used a scythe s-flex (~75cfm at ~35db) or yate loon (~77cfm at around ~35db).

I really want BT staff to respond to these queries, and perhaps do a controlled test of the TRUE, the venomous and the fenrir, using the same thermal paste and the same fan, same heatsink orientation. While testing in a case is valid since most of us use cases, the review is about the heatsink and not the heatsink and the case. What they are testing is how the heatsink performs in that specific case with that specific case fan setup, which may or may not affect different heatsinks in different ways.

EDIT: removed pointless ranting.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2010
  5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

If this site sucks so badly, then bugger off.

Create your own site when you can pander to your own disillusions, and instead of consistently typing wall of texts whining about how things don't go the way you want them to.

READ : THE WORLD IS NOT YOURS.

6. nepenthes

nepenthes What's a Dremel?

to be honest, I'm a bit averse to the idea of mounting such a large lump of metal onto my motherboard and then suspending it sideways.

Plus, I think it looks ugly as hell. But then again, if performance is what you want, that's hardly an issue.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Right, so we should all run our tests on a test bench because, well, EVERYONE runs their system on an open test bench. Yeah, OK. :duh:

8. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

how are you not getting this?

Guest-16 likes this.
  9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Regardless of the arguments and counter arguments, I've read enough reviews that have teh VX coming out far ahead of the current crop of coolers, and had the pleasure of seeing one pitted against a TRUE and a Cooler Master V10 the other day.

Something is definitely wrong with this review. Tough luck, I guess BT got a bum review sample or something like that.

10. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

a cooler that works great on an open bench might not work so well in a case. and as very very few people run their systems in an open bench those results would be meaningless.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

The team can only report what is in front of us, unfortunately, and it was given more than a fair shake of the dice. It had several shakes, in fact, and we still couldn't come out with a Yahtzee. For what it's worth, we also tested the product on our terms, like we always do - and those terms have been laid out in public. We've always been up front if testing hasn't been completed on our terms and such an article has always been (and always will be) labelled as a 'preview' or 'first look' because we're saving our final opinion until we've tested on our own terms.

12. Rocket_Knight64

And you absolutely can’t say fairer then that!

But you must admit that something seems a little amiss here (and unfortunately your name is needlessly being dragged through the mud because of it)? Maybe it’s just a borked sample? Either that or TR did not get you your bribe in time. :p

Would it be worthwhile getting a second sample? If that comes up trumps then you can still mention potential build quality issues (and TR is quite well known on that front). :blush:

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I'd take the old sample off your hands =]

14. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

After reading quite some reviews either TR had an oversight on the bribe cheque, or you guys got a bummed sample.

Most likely the second...

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

It's actually convex and it does improve performance, with waterblocks at least.

16. Rocket_Knight64

17. pipistrelle

pipistrelle What's a Dremel?

Well at least bit-tech didn't completely give in to the pressure that Thermalright is putting on review sites over thie Ven-X cooler- The fact is that it's not a good cooler for the price relative to competitors like the megahalems and when reviews started coming out showing that, TH started to put the squeeze on the reviewers- notice how many other sites show it squarely one degree ahead in the tests in their reviews. Shame on Thermalright for playing dirty and shame on the sites that fudged their results for fear of losing their relationship with Thermalright!

Tags: Add Tags