1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft introduces new online DRM system

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Jan 2010.

1. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

This is bad for people who have a download limit and just another expense the consumer has to pay in order to play a game. There should be a law against this sort of thing. At least with steam you can play offline if you want.

2. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

You don't need DRM like this in order to play PC games without the disc in your drive. Not only do we currently have Steam and Digital Download games, but also Slysoft and other solutions to fool your game into thinking you have your disc in when you don't.

I think this is a very ignorant thing to say.

I don't like this idea at all - yet I have NEVER installed a pirated game on my PC.

Even with a 100 percent perfect internet connection, I would not want this draconian system out of principle, but there are also practical issues that some people have already highlighted.

To give another example, what if I want to play on a laptop in a car with no internet access or poor internet access? Result = I either can't play at all, or the level of playability is impractical.

What if I am playing at home on a wireless connection and get reception drop? Result = Annoying. I currently don't have a single PC game that requires internet connection. If I were to get reception issues during online multiplayer mode in my current games, then at least I can start the game and play offline.

What if I have a perfect internet connection, but Ubisoft's own servers are down for a weekend? Result = I can't play the game for the weekend. Not even for single player mode. The game won't even start.

It's like you don't even own your game. You might be totally fine with all this. You may never experience problems yourself. But for sure there are going to be large numbers of pi$$ed gamers.

I also want full control over my save files on my local machine, or USB stick for transporting and giving my save files to someone else if I want.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

drm is always broken and often before the game is released, i dont pirate games, i buy them, wether they be on steam, ea downloader ,which i find mostly works well, or on disc from r/etailers.

4. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

I'll take some convincing before I buy into this idea. I do not want any of my information, this includes save games, forcibly moved into anyone's random cloud, neither do I wish to be shackled to an internet connection or a third party server - no matter who it belongs to.

I have saves for some games going back over 10 years, games I still play on occasion and looking back can be great fun. Will the Ubi servers be running in 10 years time?

My internet connection is solid but like everything else, including Ubi servers, one day it will fail for some reason or other. Damn, the 'net is down. I know I'll just play... ****, no net no play.

Train journeys, hotel rooms, the occasional baby sitting stint in some random office, a connection may or may not be available. Even discounting the cost and reliability of some dodgy hotel WiFi, what about the firewalls they may have in place.

I'm sorry. This industry has come out with some **** ideas in the past backed by some equally shitty justification but this one truly does take the **** biscuit.

5. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Classic

We the ones who buy legally copies of the games get punished, while the pirates get all the crack-piracy work-around.

Loyal gamer with nice collection of legal copies:

Getting problems with your ISP means you wont be able ot even play single player games.

The Unisoft server is down? = no single player games.

"Oh man, my modem just broked, thank God i got this nice Ubi games so i can play while i wait till end of the month so i can buy another modem" = Ooooppssss, crap, i cant play.

Damn pirate with hacked-burned and downloaded copies all around:

Ubi.com server emulator is released and is hosted in localhost, the crack.exe makes the games code think it has found the server.

The saved games are hosted in the emulated "localhost\ubisoft\savedgames" Url.

Pirate gamer gets out with it nd play the game happily:waah:

This just sucks:(

6. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

And i thought it was only Microsoft trying to kill PC gaming with the amazingly crap games for windows live :(

JUST USE STEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Thedarkrage

I'm not going to get any more Ubisoft games or any game that has games for windows live so no bioshock 2 no ac2 for me

8. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

there is still no conclusive link that people who pirate would by it if they could not. i am sure that there are a few, but i am willing to bet that the number is actually quite small. most of the people who pirate either do not want the game enough to pay fo a legit version, or have no money to spend on it but still want to play. that is just my experience however. \

and the bit about always needing an internet connection?! that is just BS. what if i want to play on a laptop in the airport? or in the car? or my internet goes out? or any one of the million other reasons i don't have internet connections all the time? and last time i checked the settlers was primarily a single player game. why the hell would i even need constant internet connection unless i was playing multilayer online of downloading additional content?

and to all those who love steam, they have their own problems. their eula is draconian and they take a "i don't care" attitude when their is a problem. i currently have a BBB case open with them, as that is apparently what it took to get their attention. the actual software seems to work fine, however.

9. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

i forgot to mentoin: thanks for the article, i will be avoiding games with ubi on the box.

10. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

This, especially the cloud concept. Why are so many companies pushing for storing your data on their servers. It almost seems like a power trip/control issue or an inititive to find another way to nickel and dime us in the future. Windows 7 doesn't offer Outlook Express. Instead your supposed to use Windows Live Mail. You mail is stored on Microsofts "secure" :rolleyes: servers. What was wrong with storing my emails on my PC? Its worked perfectly fine all these years but now MS feels I need to store them in a "CLOUD". I don't think so. Hello Mozilla Thunderbird. :thumb:

11. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

So not only do I need a constant internet connection I also only save my games on their remote site. Logically this would make saving the game a lot longer along with loading saved game files...

So now I will be boycotting all Ubisoft games too...

Also I am not a big steam fan either becuase of how they do not really care about who their updates break however I will say that compared to the alternatives it is like heaven.

12. Benneb-

Benneb- What's a Dremel?

Urgh, another DRM 'solution' that makes it harder to play the game if you bought it than if you pirated it.

Just had a look at that piracy article with stats from torrentfreak: http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6352

Although console piracy numbers are far lower than PC by camparison, it is only a matter of time before it overtakes PC piracy what with more developers making games only for the consoles.
    It will be interesting to see what developers do when that happens. Wonder if they will make DRM for consoles...

You can get a chipped XBOX and if you never take it online you can play all the pirated games you want without any troubles.

13. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Selling new games for £10 or under will do more to combat piracy than any DRM method that gets cracked within hours of a game being available.

I'd definitely buy settlers 7 for under £10, otherwise most will pirate now and maybe buy when it hits a Steam sale if they still like the game by then...

14. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Well that sucks!
    I play quite a few games on my laptop while I'm out and about. But I hardly ever have an internet connection when I'm away from my house/desk. These games would be useless for me.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Let them do this! I really want them to do this. Why? I want them to see, with their own eyes, the game being uploaded to a warez site the very same day it's released, if not sooner, and it plays better than the original!

16. Thedarkrage

But you always have to remember that most of the people who download console games sell multiple copies of them so you will never know the true number and i think its way higher them Microsoft or Nintendo will admit i think its higher then pc !!!!!

17. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

you can download "Windows Live Mail" it's the replacement for Outlook express, it's just not included in the standard install.
    No cloud just a new name.

As for any DRM, it will be cracked in most cases before the game even hits the selves.
    Never going to be the solution to pirated games.

18. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

It seems that there are too many negative votes around here. But I think Ubisoft just does what must be done. Peoples are imperfect but bussiness must be perfect. I vote positive.:D
    If you dont have a Interweb connection then U R NOT a serious gamer and hence your votes have no value. Tens of you here said that you are honest gamers but how about milions of peoples who say nothing out there?!:D
    I see many potentials of this method, not just "a game of cat and mouse". Gaming must become serious before some serious good games come to life.:D
    And yes! Victory will not come without sacrifices!

Last edited: 28 Jan 2010
  19. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I've read plenty of articles on piracy numbers and not one of them has been able to shock me or make me the least bit surprised apart from that!
    That is truely shocking, to think that it's on a console aswell, why do publishers always make out that it's terrible on PC and nothing else, it's obviously a lot worse on consoles than they let on :jawdrop:

20. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

AI think they are totally ignorant and frankly, idiotic in their efforts to "fight piracy" by including yet another "new" DRM system. When will they realise, that it does absolutely nothing?
    The pirates will pirate the games anyway, that s a FACT. No matter what DRM systems they think of, they will be pirated, and to just the same extent - if not even more, 'cause in this cases... The pirated product is a better product; No annoying disc check's, no forced internet connection...

They should stop throwing money in the wind, and instead should focus on making their product have more value for those who buy it: effectively increasing their sales much more than some stupid DRM will.

Game is "protected" with DRM = I will not buy it.

Tags: Add Tags