1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iFail- wait sorry, iPad, is officially out

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 27 Jan 2010.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ditto

And, yes, it is a fantastic application. I've had the demo for ages, but keep forgeting to buy the license. I really must do that at some point.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Definitely! And you only need 1/4 of the whole iPad to make a phone call!

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I actually agree with Pook regarding the photography aspect. The histogram tells you all you need to know, and the camera's LCD screen is fine for that. Any professional photographer is likely to already have a laptop with software tailored to his or her camera needs.

I disagree with this, however. The iPhone's screen dynamically adjusts to compensate for ambient brightness, and I've found that I have no problem reading the New York Times or completing a sudoku puzzle in broad daylight, while waiting for my wife to pick me up for lunch. I imagine the iPad has a similar feature.

Besides, what self-respecting person sits on the beach in full sun for 3 hours? Isn't that how you get skin caner? :p

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Indeed it is.

I would ask what self-respecting person goes on holiday and spends all their time on their ass reading... anywhere... but each to their own :)

Proper e-readers are a joy to read in daylight though compared to backlit LCDs. Having to crank up everything to power sucking max levels to read in sunlight wil hit batteries hard on something like the iPad, and while it may be legible, it won't be in the same league as a proper e-reader.

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Haha, iLOL'd. This is sh**. My 2005 Portege m200 does more than this and it only cost me £150!

7. dryrice

dryrice Zestious Knight

hmmm im no fan boy but this gimick would most likely work

8. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

^^From Kotaku article.

That pretty much sums up what I was getting at about the iphone apps. Except they did it in a way that was less troll-bait.

The thing that I hate so much about Apple is their arrogance as a producer. They believe that their end-users should be forced to do things their way. You don't have a choice with Apple, it's their way or the highway. There's no development that's not micromanaged by them, and no device or OS that's not conceived with 'their way' as the forefront motive.

Just on a petty level: I can only resize a window from one corner, because that's the way they want it, I can only do x y or z because they arbitrarily made it that way and then shut down any and all third-party efforts to do it a better way.

Even when they fix things, they first have to wait a version from when they notice to implement it, lest they fix it in the next revision and seem like they "gave in" to what consumers wanted. They've got to make it seem like it was their idea all along. /rant

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, $800,-- for a 1024x768 touch screen with sapphire glass in a solid aluminium housing with wifi and 3G.
    I hope you'll be able to afford it. An ordinary tablet PC is about £1500,--. :p. When it comes out... Eventually.

10. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

buying brand new tech isn't the only way to go. I can get last year's ASUS Eee Convertible Tablet Netbook (T91) for $400-$450 new in packaging. It's a whole lot more appealing than an iPad, and would be a hands-down no contest winner if it weren't for am 8.9" screen and the 5hr battery life. Then again I can buy a new, higher capacity battery for a netbook, which is something I can't say for the iPad.

if ASUS had a 10.1" model of the tablet, i'd see no niche for the iPad whatsoever. But as it is there is one, however slim it might be.

You can also get older tablets for under $400. That's what's so frustrating about the iPad: it's not a new concept, in fact it's something that was done the better part of a decade ago, and frankly--did more then.

The HP TC1100: http://www.jksalesinc.com/catalog/images/hp_tc1100.jpg & http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Cc8Y5NHwD...AAnA/bdC3CtSKJMc/s320/Tablet_PC-HP-TC1100.jpg
    Wiki Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_TC1100

And it was released in April of 2004. When I saw the iPad, it was the first thing I thought of. The TC1100 might not be made out of animal friendly green materials and aluminim with crystal glass whatever, but it can do flash, full web, full office suite, full OS, you can use a stylus on it (artists rejoice), it supports expansion, custimization, and the keyboard even swivels around and lies flush with the device.

I fail to see an area where the iPad does something that I haven't seen done 6 years ago. Aside from telling me what to do and how I can do it.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Hmmm Ipad ok its alright. Now we need
    a) Jailbreak
    b)Linux install = amazing pad

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Typical Apple mentality: Lets talk about how it looks and the materials it's made of rather than what it can actually do.

LOL. I think you mean.....

$800,-- for a 1024x768 touch screen with sapphire glass in a solid aluminium housing with wifi and 3G that doesn't actually do anything worthwhile.

And since when has a sheet of glass, of ANY quality cost that much? Most high quality camera optics costs less than that and they contain more glass of much higher quality.

Are you sure it's glass? Wouldn't that be a bit of a safety issue?... and be a bit fragile?

Since when has aluminium cost that much? My huge Lian Li server case is aluminium, and it costs me £79.

Those are simply NOT reasons for it to cost so much.

At least it will be useful, and therefore probably worth the money.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2010
  13. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Man this story made me feel so sorry for that guy :(

14. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Last edited: 29 Jan 2010
  15. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

And yet there will still be Apple fanboys out there who will make excuses for Apple for their pricing policies.

Your average PC manufacturer would kill for markups like that, but then when you've got a virtual monopoly with a horde of fanatically loyal cultis... er, customers I guess you can pretty much get away with whatever you want.

16. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I am by no means a fan boy (I only own a couple of iPods) but the prices in that article have to be total BS. $99 for the touchscreen? $25 for the memory and the same for the case? Its a joke, all you apple haters would like to believe thats the case but its not.

17. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Well let's look at the memory. If it's essentially the same memory that you find in a USB key, they yes it would be that cheap.

Remember this is the company that charges up to €1000 for 12gigs of ram that you can buy anywhere else for a lot less. And no, it's not EEC fully buffered ram, this is the regular ram they put in their Intel based boxes.

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Fathers, Cousins, Brothers former Room Mate (think i got it in the right order:thumb:)

To be honest, and i simply don't care what people think, i will actually be happy when i part with my hard earned monies and buy one. Granted, i have actually no practical use for it currently, but it isn't going to stop me from buying one.

Sam

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Ahhhh, you gotta love the haters :D

Seriously guys and gals... if you don't like it, nobody forces you to buy one.

On another note: today I read the news and Asus and MSi aren't quiet happy with the pricing of the iPad, as they thought more of a entry-level at 1000$.
    Now Asus and MSi need to think real hard, as they planned on releasing their similar products at 6-700$ before Apple released the price-list for the iPad.

It's really funny, how flawed and unobjective people become as soon as a product is made by Apple really... you should be pleased by the prices released by Apple, as now you'll get tablets from Asus and MSi for 400$ instead of 6-700$ ;)

Link to the news: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100129PD217.html

It's good that Apple is still going strong, as it actually lowers the prices for Windows-products and result in other manufacturers doing something new.

M7ck likes this.
  20. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I have no practical (or otherwise) use for one. It's not powerful enough to use as a portable PC, doesn't have the battery life to be an eBook, and if I want to watch videos on the go, I'd appreciate youtube and hulu (read as: Flash) capability. It's a very slick piece of hardware, but it doesn't fit my lifestyle.