1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows File browser for 300k files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fredrics, 30 Jan 2010.

1. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

Currently running windows server 2008. We have about 300,000+ files that we need to access some times. Is there an alternative explorer to windows explorer, as the default windows one takes about 1hour to load all the files and freezes regularly.

Thank you in advance.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Ever tried xplorer²? I'm not sure if it'll solve your problems, but might want to give it a shot.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

5. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

dir > listing.txt
    then just enter the filename.

Of course, I'm not sure how well dir will cope with that many files, but if it's only occasional access, and the filenames don't change it shouldn't be much of a problem

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

first question is how come you have so many files? is this in one folder?

7. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

Don't really want to turn on indexing, as I believe that this also try's to extract all the data from the files. Considering this data is changing always, it is going to have a hard time, and use up extra resources.

Doesn't work, freezes and then shows it is not responding.

Freezes as well :(

Problem is that we dont just want to know the names, we need to be able to sort them by the different options, be able to access them easily etc.

We run a game that saves each character file as a .txt file. All these 300k files are in one folder. We have different folders with even more data :) And no, we arent moving to a different format (Database etc)

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Wondering if the issue here is less about what tool you need to view the files, but more about the way the data is being stored.
    300k files is a LOT to have in a single folder even before you want to start viewing/sorting them!

Data management must be a right arse for you guys! Can't imagine it's hugely nice having to maintain that many text files!

Anyway, to attempt to answer the question - you might have to custom-write an app/script or whatever to pull out the information you require. At the very least find some way to limit the total number of files returned.
    May have to be careful with anything you do do tho (even trying windows explorer etc) may put significant load on the underlying disc given the amount of work it's got to do :p

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

have to say i think your screwed then

although one idea would be to look at filestream on SQL server you may be able to do something using that (without changing your existing setup)