1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Looking for feedback on custom case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dncwalk99, 2 Feb 2010.

1. dncwalk99

dncwalk99 We don't need no stinkin' Dremels..

Any suggestion on improvements?

Click the thumbnails for larger version.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one follows the possible color scheme i'll be using.

[​IMG]

2. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

It looks like it will have some heavy cooling power.
    What do you plan to do with the space above the optical drive?
    I really like how it looks like two cases put together.
    White one Cheesecake

Go for it!

3. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Very nice, very clean. My only suggestion is to turn the space above the PSU into the reservoir, so it could have a little window much like the screen you've got to the left currently does.

Alternatively, put the PSU there instead, have a 120.4 radiator along the bottom instead of a 120.3, and put all of your electronics 'above the waterline', so to speak (I'm a bit nervous about what would happen if the rads leaked, otherwise). That would also allow you to shrink the depth of the case a bit to decrease that big, blank space to the left of the motherboard (looking in through the window) but you'd still have the 120.4 along the bottom.

Where do the pumps go? Under the current reservoirs? How are you planning on making the side window both rimless and removable?

4. jazzman831

jazzman831 What's a Dremel?

Looks pretty cool. And probably huge! What are the dimensions? What is it going to be made of?

I'd love to get a look "under the hood" so-to-speak. What's under the big cover?

5. dncwalk99

@bigkingfun: Thanks. The space above the optical will be reserved for a possible fan controller and front panel jacks. unsure right now. Might move the drives from under the mid compartment to above the optical as well and install a second LCD. The LCD will be a white on black 320x240 gLCD. I found some for a decent price. Looking into other options besides LPT for those.

@PureSilver: Thanks. The PSU will be raised an inch from the bottom of the rear chamber. That chamber is also open on both sides, so any leaks would run oout onto my desk before getting to the PSU. The pumps are on the res. For the panels being rimless, i'll be using some small angle and some 1/4-1/2 inch spacers.

@jazzman831: Thankss. Current dimensions are 26 inches tall, 10 inches wide, and 24 inches deep. I started out at 30x10x30... thankfully I shrank it. The mid compartment just holds the LCD and it's electronics, possibly a temp sensor board, some tubing will be routed through there, and there are also 2 Corsair 32X's and a 500gb WD with a 90mm fan blowing out the back. The entire case and some of the brackets will be made from .063 5052 Alu.

Any one know if it's possible to power piezo switches with the PC turned off?? I've seen some USB mice still get power after the PC has been shutdown and would like to take advantage of that to power some piezo switches.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2010
  6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the compartment where the motherboard is in looks the same size as my lian li V1000b! lol!

BIG CASE!

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Where are the HDD? I don't see them

8. dncwalk99

@Burnout21: Yea.. I can see that.

@The_Beast: They are in the middle compartment next to the gLCD.

I've moved some things around. I think this is really as tight as I can get it all. Here's a couple more pics. I also put in the proper res.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Feb 2010
  9. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

i love it
    so much cooling power
    so clean
    it looks fantastic !!!!!!!!!

10. dncwalk99

@disturbed13: Thanks.

I'm going to be contacting the fab shop with some current drawings and get a quote on the materials and work to get them bent/cut for me. If the price is right, i'll move forward with this and start on the project log.

11. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Make sure to reply back as to how much the quote for the metal work is. I'm curious to know.

Looks good so far. I like the way you have 2 separate compartments to isolate the rads.

12. dncwalk99

So far every shop that i've given the drawings to has told me that it will be a month before they can get back to me. One off jobs aren't a priority for them. I'm currently exploring other options.

13. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

This is a very clean and simple design, yet well thought out and unique. I really like it!

14. dncwalk99

Thanks craigbru. After making a few more calls to other shops upto 2 hours away, they are pretty much saying the same thing as far as time frames. I've now sent a message to CyberDruid of Mountain Storm to see about getting this done sooner. Hopefully he has some free time:D

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I think he has mainly retired from providing modding services, but maybe he will get back with you.

I recently bought a metal brake from Harbor Freight Tools with coupon for about $30 that will do up to 16 gauge metal 18" wide. Obviously however a brake is for sharp bends, not curved bends like you are wanting to do. A local metal shop nearby simply wants too much to do anything as they have a $20 minimum, and like you are seeing, they don't want to mess with small stuff. I would imagine this is why they are all giving you the brush off. The only thing I find them handy for is buying cheap small pieces of sheet metal/alu from as they are usually glad to sell what for them is scrap anyway.

16. dncwalk99

Well, I don't really think I was blown off. There was some legislation passed a few years back where I live that made a lot of businesses leave the state. So the few left take what they can get from outside contracts and put those first. That is completely understandable to put what pays the bills first. One guy did tell me to get with him in 3 weeks if I haven't gotten it done by then. I just hope I can get this case done. The design has been in my head for a few years now and I'd like to finally see it made.

17. dncwalk99

Ok. So I've changed the corners to flat 90's. Tell me what you guys think...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally I think it has lost something... Doing this though, I may be able to get get the case made by myself go to the local highschool.

18. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

Looks nowhere near as good with 90 degree corners :(

Yeah CyberDruid doesn't do custom cases anymore. Only very small bits and bobs. Shame :( His final mod was spectacular. I also don't think he has the facilities to bend alumunium in that way.

What you need is a metal roller: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-305mm-Sheet-Metal-Worker-23311.htm . We have that exact one at my school. If you were really keen on doing the rounded edges, you could buy one :p

I really like the design! Seems such a great idea, separating the rads from the rest of the components, whilst keeping them enclosed. Am i right in saying it can take 4 120.3's then?

19. dncwalk99

@oliverw92: Thanks, and yes.. it can take 4 120.3 or 2 120.4 and 2 120.3 if you were willing to give up optical and move drives to a hidden area behind the mobo tray. As far as the combo roll/bend/shear machine.. i was looking at getting one, but the price for one twice as big as that just wasn't an option. It sucks really.. I can either get the tools to build that case and not be able to get materials, or i can buy materials and take it somewhere to get made.

20. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there