1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Nvidia says Fermi is great, but who knows?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cutter McJ1b, 18 Jan 2010.

1. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Well, If it does outperform the 5800, they have to get the pricing right considering it runs hot and treats the psu like an all you can eat buffet. ATi is going to resort to the obvious dick move by dropping the price on the 5800 cards but it depends on Nvidia whether they lower the prices a little or through the floor boards. I'd like a 5870 for $299-250, but one for $250-199 I'd like even more.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

DICK MOVE?

They are entitled to charge whatever they want to remain competitive. It's a free market economy. If they took the initiative to control the market early, well, good for them. How will it play out in the long term? We will see. ATI is well within its right to get a little money now - just how Intel does in its performance lead. Do you think it really costs them $300 more to make an i7 960 versus i7 930?

The fact you can get a 1TFlop product of multi-billion transistors from whoever, at that price is astonishing to the point of inconceivable 5 years ago. Without profit, these companies won't be competitive and make future products to keep PC gaming alive.

3. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

You're right, that was uncalled for.

Guest-16 likes this.
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:) +rep for being cool

5. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Spoken like a true fanboy. Big Yawn!

6. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

Why thank you for that thoughtful and intelligent post.

Exactly how are you meant to create a revolutionary new product when you have no money? Try following your own advice and actually say something worthwhile instead of mouthbreathing like normal.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Any more flames, troll or baiting gets people thrown out. Clear?

/polishes banhammer ready.

8. barndoor101

Sorry boss. I just dont like being called a fanboy whilst trying to make points.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Not to worry bindi, he's nowhere as bad as the warrior guy on the Console gaming dying thread..

10. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the compliment.

So are you saying now that it's ok to put a new product on the shelves that is pretty much the same as the last but with a few tweeks and gimmicks? You must concede that the difference between the ATi 4xxx series and 5xxx is very small.

I'm not just picking on AMD here, Nvidia failed completely with their 9xxx series but did ok with their gtx2xx series but again it wasn't fantastic.

They both have money and had money to develope these products and that was before this industry hit recession.

11. barndoor101

it was meant in sarcasm but nevermind, lets keep this civil.

the differences between the HD48xx and 58xx are fairly small, but graphics isnt the only industry which use evolutionary changes between generations.

Intel for example uses a tick-tock system, where they first introduce a revolutionary new tech (eg nehalem) on the tock, then refine this on the tick (32nm clarkdale). Same went for Conroe->Wolfdale. (no idea why its the wrong way round)

one could argue that the HD58xx is a refinement of the HD48xx, using a smaller process tech (40nm instead of 55nm), less heat, more power efficient, a few new features (DX11, eyefinity).

1 thing i just thought of is this: it is slightly unfair to directly compare a fully matured product (ie the HD4890) with a new product (HD5870), as the drivers havent properly matured yet (the same will happen for Fermi). This part pisses me off, why cant we have completed drivers for a product launch? But then I come from a programming background and remember it is an iterative process.

12. chumbucket843

chumbucket843 What's a Dremel?

since when have we had a refresh for a new API? usually chips have to be redesigned to support them. sure evergreen was designed for time to market but the performance just isnt that great and nvidia cant even get their dx11 part launched. to top it off larrabee was cancelled. it looks like 2010 is going to be a boring year.

Tags: Add Tags