1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First Fermi cards to be named GTX 480, GTX 470

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 Feb 2010.

1. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

The naming is only a minor confusion, like a few others have said its the performance that matters the most.

2. dec

dec [blank space]

+480 (fail-eighty)

How over priced are these gonna be?

Last edited: 3 Feb 2010
  3. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

sorry for double, but just noticed Digi's post. If i'm an honest people should be researching what they buy first anyways, not just jumping in and going with a certain brand or a big number for the hell of it. I always check multiple reviews before i buy (though I trust bittech/CPC reviews most)

dec likes this.
  4. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

You are right of course and I agree 100% but bit-techs reader base represents only a fraction of people buying computer hardware and it's safe to say half of them won't/don't do their research or won't know what they are researching anyway. That's where the shrewd marketing comes in to pull in these users and squeeze out the maximum amount of money. I don't like it. I mean there is no point to it either when you could have easily understandable systems of names that don't detract from the performance of your quality product.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

There are a range of mobile gpu's in the 300 range. Namely:

GTS360M, GTS350M, GT335M, GT330M, GT325M, GT320M, 310M and 305M.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

when do the review boards get around.. middle of the year lol

7. trig

trig god's little mistake

i get on vent with some guys that are anti amd/ati to a point they will kick you if you say positive things about ati/amd/negative things about rebrandia...i love getting on there and busting their balls...february and still no fermi.

8. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

Yeah, i was thinking exactly as kenco. Source please?

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They are probably just leaving room so they can rename G92 some more and still have room for 505234534 variants of cutdown 4xx cards.

10. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I only have to say is: I agree with everyone

About the performance..... Can it play Crysis max out?
    or
    Can it play Crysis 2?

11. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I reckon close to their name ^_^ Maybe that's behind the generation skip, it's so they can market them at their price :p

12. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Who cares what they call it, as long as it performs well it really doesn't matter. What's the point in price speculation now when nobody knows. Keep it shut until the Bit-Tech full review is out and the price announced, then feel free to point fingers if it warrants it.

13. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or is that case in the image all upside your head? It looks like it's up against the wall with the skirting at the bottom but the mobo backplate is facing upwards?

The card looks like it's proving the theory of "everythings getting smaller" is wrong again!

14. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I think that the GT300 products will be shrunk GTX275/285... 40nm, maybe a tweak in the core to enable DX10.1 (just for laughs)... So they have the GTX400 series for DX11 and the GTX300 series for DX10/10.1 just to fill the hole while waiting on mainstream DX11 GTX400 chips...

15. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

i wouldnt since OEMs already have the 300 series which support DX10.1. I think the 300 series is a scaled down version of the 400 series.

16. kenco_uk

If they are, they're a bit crap. I recently had a laptop with a 310m card in and it was about 2% faster than an 8600M GT. The i3-330 it had was nice though :)

17. kenco_uk

18. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

Very true, but in would only happen in an ideal world. It is daft, but like I said, it's more of an iritation then a real problem. Maybe its like an inside joke.

meanwhile at the nvidia-cave
    "ha ha, next we shall call our cards 8008135 , lal lal lal!!!!!bbq1"

19. r0z|3o0n

r0z|3o0n What's a Dremel?

Sure, we bag them now for all the naming shenanigans. But chances are that when it launches and is twice as fast as everything else we'll be falling over ourselves to go and buy one.

20. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

8008135 thats my lucky number! Is that the model number or the price?
    On a serious note ill never be a fanboy of either Nvidia or AMD. None of us should be tbh. That way companies have to compete for our hard earned cash. So if Fermi releases and the price/performance is pants then AMD will be my next card. On the other hand, if the price isnt ridiculous but the performance increase in the games i play is significant Nvidia can gladly have my cash.
    On a side note i do like AMDs stratergy atm. Going for decent performance and lower power consumption (and also cheaper chips to produce).
    I really hope Nvidia dont back themselves into a corner with a hot running expensive chip. We all benefit from the duopoly.

Tags: Add Tags