1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony considering PSN subscriptions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Feb 2010.

1. infi

infi What's a Dremel?

sony never said they will charge for multiplayer, just for specific PSN services.

people keep reading PSN and subscirption in the same sentence and thinnk they'll have to pay for multiplayer.

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

How many of you would actually download PS3 games? Aren't the bandwidth caps in England really low?

3. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Not so much a problem with bandwidth caps, but speed. As mentioned in the article going out and buying a physical copy in store is a lot quicker than downloading 20+gigs of data. From Sony's POV the cost of bandwidth pushed out to users is also a worry. However on the flip side a digital copy tied to a PSN user solves the issue of second hand games killing a portion of the market.

Edit: My 2c on the pay for PSN? Personally I'd hate it and seriously consider getting rid of my PS3 in favour of... nothing. Yeah I'd stop gaming and maybe only play a few games a month on my PC.

4. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

They already confirmed that the features that are free now will remain free, including online play. Seems strange that bittech "forgot" to mention this.

5. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

What? Only MMO games have a subscription model but you get continuous updates for free, all the other multiplayer games are free to play online.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

haha.... great timing, just when I was considering getting a ps3.
    But then with the money saved on not having to replace my dead blueray player I could easily pay for whatever psn charges.

7. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

They will have to keep basic (current level access) free as it isn't worth anything, but if they introduced a subscription model that gave me access to their back catalogue and perhaps a couple of other things I wouldn't have a problem with that. But it has to be value add, not just charging for something everyone already has.

8. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

If they start charging for online play they will lose a hell of a lot of customers to microsoft.

I doubt they will

9. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

if they dont charge for online gaming, and just random features, they still have a massive one-up.

10. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

11. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

No way should Sony start to charge to play games online. That is totally stupid and if they do then there is no reason to buy a PS3 and have to pay for a third rate online network.

The more the console business rapes it's players for cash the more those same victims may start to realize that the PC is the best way to go.

With six core CPU's and GPGPU technology knocking at the door it's only a matter of time before a Xbox360 and PS3 emulator are up and running. The 360 is nothing but a low end PC anyway but the PS3 will be a great challenge because of the Cell and it's PPE - SPE set up. Every emulated system has online gameplay.

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I did wonder about this when Sony started emailing questionnaires asking about price ranges/packages a few months back.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

As I understood the article they are considering to put paid extra content on it and no where does it say that they will charge for plain regular online gaming.

As for the GPGPU argument, ehmm.... ever considered the Electricity cost outside of a select few countries? unless both Ati and Nvidia find a way to slash power consumption by atlest 75% there is no way GPGPU can ever take off as running a GPU with any kind of load on it is horribly expensive.

Tags: Add Tags