1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Cooking equipment

Discussion in 'General' started by img, 5 Feb 2010.

1. img

img Minimodder

Hi,

can anyone recommend a frying pan to cook things like steaks that will go in the oven. Most seem to only go up to 180c or costs over £100

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

cast iron. 'nuff said.

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Yep, look for an oven safe skillet. If you're near Cardiff, Bristol or Bath, Kitchens on the high street will have them.

4. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

When I saw the thread title only 2 things went through my mind:

_microwave
    -fork

But I have been eating alot of super noodles lately.

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Le Creuset.

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

7. Fod

i personally don't like le creuset that much - it's fashion before function. le chasseur are pretty awesome, however.

now if anyone can tell me where i can find a decent sized marmitout, at a reasonable price, i will be eternally grateful.

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

charity shops.

No im serious heavy cast pans aren't really user friendly even though imo you cant beat a decent cast pan. Ive picked up a few very good pans from charity shops, simply because people dont seem to like heavy pans, I even managed to get a very old pan (must have been somebodies grannies) and its better than anything you buy now.

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I think that's a vastly incorrect statement.

The differences between Le Crueset and Le Chasser must be absoloutely tiny - they use a virtually identical design and construction method? The only real difference is perhaps the handles for the pans, Chasseur are wooden correct?

Creuset is all about function though - they are superb for stewing and if you have a range style oven/cooker; they are as close as it gets to decent heat transfer without buying Aga cookware or going down the line of copper.

Fairly cheap marmitout: http://www.cucinadirect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_18551_-1_46647_11053

10. Fod

shrug, le creuset enamel their pans with the shiny stuff. i find it a bit too girly :p
    le chasseur don't have wooden handles. at least the pot and griddle i have don't. they're just plain black, and completely utilitarian.

11. img

img Minimodder

I did see some circulon ones. Are they any good?

12. Fod

circulon are OK, my mum has some anolon pans (essentially the same but a bit less rugged), and they last pretty well. However, tbh non-stick coatings are waaaay overrated. You only really need one non-stick frying pan for cooking eggs - the rest you can cook much better without the coating to get a nice fond going that you deglaze with a little liquid, which makes food waaay tastier.

13. img

img Minimodder

Sounds good. Can you link to anything that would be good?