1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics wire gauge and fan controllers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Volund, 10 Feb 2010.

1. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Ello again :D back with a couple of questions

1- I'm looking to make some new modular cables for my power supply for an upcoming mod (Corsair 850HX), and I had a question about wire gauge. I did some googling, but wasn't able to find much, other than that several people have used 18AWG for SATA lines, didn't see anything about 24 pin ATX main power, 8 pin, or 6 pin connectors. I'm looking to re- do all those lines to custom length, color, and sleeving.

2- I'm looking to control 6 fans on either one or 6 individual fan controllers. I would like each fan to be on an indipendant channel, but I haven't been able to find any small single channel, single fan controllers, or bigger 6 channel ones that aren't covered in LED's, or use a touch screen with nasty colors that will throw off the build. Any ideas there? Speedfan doesn't work very well for me, it only controls one of the fans (out of 4 currently in the build, plus the CPU fan).

Any help would be great as always :rock:

2. jazzman831

jazzman831 What's a Dremel?

1) I don't know from personal experience, but according to the ATX v2.2 specs, you want 16 gauge wire for all but pin 11 which is 22. (18 gauge is only ok if your PSU is <300W). From that website, aux power (6-pin) is 16 gauge, and I can't seem to find any info on the 8-pin power, even on formfactors.org... A cursory visual inspection of my own PSU makes it seem that they are the same gauge as the 24-pin.

2) Define "small". And how much control do you want? I am currently in love with this guy (I got mine from a different place, but it's the same thing). You don't get minute control, but then again, I've never said "aw gee, I wish I could get 7.5 volts instead of 7.0". It does have LEDs, but I don't find them garish; if you do I'm sure they're pretty easy to change or remove.

I spent a lot of time looking for fan controllers about a year ago and the one I linked above is probably going to be your most modest. I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to either (a) find any 6-port one you like and take out the LEDs (there are butt-tons of them around that mount into easily-demountable bay covers and that only have one LED per switch) or make your own with a couple of variable resistors.