1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress - Skyscraper - 24 - March - UPDATE - Single Stage Cascade!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 19 Dec 2009.

1. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

UPDATE FINALLY!!

I managed to get some more aluminium work done this weekend. Plus had a few items arrive!
    I also put together a simple logo. I needed something to brand the photos and something nice enough to be laser cut for any panels that may need a logo!

I think it does the job just fine, simple.. gets to the point...

[​IMG]

Onto the new bits!
    First item was some M4 bolts. I ordered this for the project a while back from a motorbike catalogue. I have a number of lengths etc. May change for black.. not decided just yet.

[​IMG]

And some basic camps to help the job along! Not sure why I took a photo of these. Nobody cares about clamps... :duh:

[​IMG]

Next was the lovely package of perfection from MDPC-X.
    Complete with little cartoon -

[​IMG]

I have to say.. the email I was sent when ordering was brilliant, a guide to using the braid to its highest potential. With some useful photography tips too!

Inside this bag of European goodies -
    First was the MDPC SLEEVE-KIT; Should cover the majority of wires for a build this size..
    well I say that.. But I ordered extra as this thing keeps growing!

INCLUDED IN THIS PACKAGE (for anyone who wanted to know)

30 meter SMALL-Sleeve (black)
    3 meter ultra-thin-walled SMALL-Heatshrink 4:1 (black)
    5 meter SATA-Sleeve (black)
    0.7 meter SATA-Heatshrink 3:1 (black)
    2 meter BIG-Sleeve (black)
    0.3 meter BIG-Heatshrink 3:1 (black)
    0.2 meter JUMBO-Heatshrink 2:1 (black)

[​IMG]

And some ultra-tight-weave small red sleeve. I think I got about 30 Meters of this.

[​IMG]

I also received some cable management clips & Countersunk head rivets -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as for the case. Here it is as it currently stands.
    I am forever trying to imporve my photos. They till suck but getting much better.

(I have removed the Motherboard tray and Reservoirs to work on the case).

[​IMG]

The first thing I did this weekend was to cut the 5 Meter long piece of aluminium Tube.
    Ordering such a length and having to store it in the house sucked.
    The only place I could find was from the kitchen all the way up the stairs! This really impressed the parents...
    I was going to cut it in half rite away but I knew for one reason or another I would run out of tube and just wish I hadn't!

The metal was measured and cut by myself. I only had a jigsaw and no miter saw which would have been ideal with the correct blade.
    I have used this before so I knew I had a little leeway for these cuts.

The aluminium & connectors after cutting -

[​IMG]

And the start of the assemble (sorry one of these photos sucks) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the new section complete the case has grown. A LOT MORE.

I know I have no cad or hand done design.. Its because I suck at that, sorry!

The big section in the bottom is for the Phase change cooler. It's being made next week and will be shipped over too me shortly after.
    An amazing guy LittleDevil will be building it. His work is soo nice and I'm sure plenty of you have seen it!

So I managed to get a really nice shot of the case in my front room! Pretty sweet for a average camera and things I found around the home! I ended up being outside the house, with the camera on a pillow on a window ledge :D
    I don't even own a damn tripod!

[​IMG]

Now you will wonder why there are gaps in the metal bellow the top radiator section.
    I have the connectors too fit in the gap but have to cut into the case to secure them. This is coming! I just ran out of daylight today :)

So as you can see the new section is very tall.. this is to allow enough room for lots of vibration absorption mounting AND plenty of sound proofing foam!
    I want to reduce the volume of the monster cooling unit as much as possible as it will be for almost 24/7 use.
    (By 24/7 I mean.. on for the 18 hours a day I'm using my computer :thumb:)

Oh and the case stands and 4 Feet exactly at the moment. I guess its tall.. but maybe I can add a second computer or find a reason to make the skyscraper grow more :D

For this evening job; I have started on actually putting the sleeve to use.
    Here is just one fan covered. Many wires to go!

[​IMG]

For now that is all!

On route we have the phase change cooler & the rest of the water cooling parts to get the loops in place.

Due to design changes it seems the Monsta will now be used just to cool the multiple GPUS!

I'm swaying so much towards painting the whole frame work white. This has been in my head for a long time as with the amount of acrylic/skyscraper window effects I have planned I think it will suit much better!

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks for reading!

See you sooooon! <3

Last edited: 14 Feb 2010
  2. kiwi750

kiwi750 What's a Dremel?

For any of you that wonder, i at a guess said this was 4ft tall, and guess what, i was exactly right 48 inches (or 4ft exactly)

Sick going well btw bud, should of been there to help today, would of got some more done, shame on the gf being round.

>>K

3. Daydream85

Daydream85 What's a Dremel?

Just signed up so first post.
    God dam that's a huge case!
    I can see this going for mod of the month in the future!
    Nice!

4. el2k

el2k Modder

Looking nice mate, hope that bottom section is wide enough for the phase cooler!!

Absolutely love the look of the MONSTAAAAA!

5. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

Looking good so far... Insane Radiator + phase cooler. You are definately not going to have any problems cooling that monster of a case.

6. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thanks man, at least you can see it in person, its really f**king tall and SWEET!
    Yeah.. you helping... I've tried to ask for that before. Drunk.. useless!

Well I'm glad you signed up! Many better builds here to post on though :D
    I hope so too... I think as soon as people see the hardware and waterloops going in it should get some more attention!
    Thanks again.

It just needs to be bigger I guess... WORKING ON IT!

I love it too! Rad is starting to look small in there ;)
    Phase cooler in about a week or two.. have some nice plans for sound reduction so should be a nice update.

Again all, thanks for sticking around.

J

7. youeffsee

youeffsee What's a Dremel?

Looking good man. Crapload of beautiful parts lined up for this beast.

Im a moderator with CoolIT and cant wait to see what you have in store for the TEC.

Sub'd.

8. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

UPDATE!! 24 - March

Hi guys, thought I would drop a quick update just to let you know I'm still building.
    Have a couple of quick photos to drop. Only previews...

I've been working on the connecting sections of the tower and the passing through of the tubing.

Its a layer of Acryan modders mesh at the top and smoked acrylic at the bottom.
    I imagine I will try out different lighting techniques and have left ample space for cathodes/LEDs.

Quick preview of the tubing and pass through -

[​IMG]

And just to give an idea of the height.. here is my very excited friend stood with the build.
    Just started his own Obsidian build here actually - siQalz

Getting pretty tall now!

[​IMG]

The perfect excited modders smile there. You cant beat that! :D:D:D:D

_____________________________________________​

So rite now 70% of the tubing has been done since that photo thanks to mrdbristol selling me some very cheap compression fittings!
    I guess the reason why I've not updated more is because finding cash is hard since I lost the job.
    And when I did make some cash it went. FAST!
    Said cash went on.....

The single stage cascade!
    The thing is so fracking (amazing Battlestar Galactica word drop) coool, it took a while to learn how to properly insulate the motherboard but has been running 24/7 with no issue what so ever for the last month or more.
    Currently testing the unit on my Q6600 2.6ghz...
    Clocked up to 3.8 and having no issue at the moment... temps are stupidly low.

Heres a little preview of the messy set up I am dealing with -

[​IMG]

It rules. Highly recommended if you have the balls to play around insulating the board.
    I say balls.. but with the guides available these days... its not that difficult.

Plans are to remove the cascade from its box and get it fitted into that large hole at the bottom of the case.

At the weekend there will be daylight and time. I will drop some nice high quality photos for you guys.

Hope you enjoyed what I could make of this preview....

Cheers then,

J

Last edited: 24 Mar 2010
  9. kiwi750

kiwi750 What's a Dremel?

Siq J, and lol so much at liam in that photo, I cant wait to carry this thing to lan ....

//K

10. eddieno1else

eddieno1else What's a Dremel?

Major lolz @ Liam, also loving the build, gonna have to pop over and see this for myself :)

11. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

This is one of the coolest build i have ever seen :)

12. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Yeah by all means do so! Worth waiting till I actually get some more done tho!

Ahhh its not that amazing, if I hadn't lost my job it would be looking much better rite now :D

Thanks for the comments though. Has nothing on your build :D

13. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Lol mines just a TJ 07!! This is as Awesome and is is Huge :)

14. el2k

el2k Modder

I look like such a bell end here!

Good work though man, Just need the funds and you're away again!

15. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

16. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Just one part for sale now, the PSU has been paid for. Good luck selling it.

Loving the build mate... bigger is *always* better! Dwarfs my STC-T01, something I thougt only Racks could do until now. I'll watch this with considerable interest, and should it get a MOTM nomination, it gets my vote, regardless.

17. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Still liking the build there mate, but i'm kinda thinking you didn't have to murder that beautiful lili to do this one... makes me a sad panda!

Anyways, continue!

18. el2k

el2k Modder

Any news on this? Pretty looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

19. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

THE WHOLE WORLD IS AGAINST ME.

SYSTEM IS DELAYS!!!!1

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just stumbled across this. Looking good. Rough cost so far?