1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling ? on noise control methods

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blackeagle, 19 Dec 2002.

1. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

I just read a post of Haddy's on a thread that mentions noise mats/sheets. I have a couple questions for anyone who has used it.

1) How large a % change in noise will this sort of thing offer?

2) Will it help in a case with large windows modded into it?

3) Who are some of the better makers/products? Links?

4) Costs?

I'd love to hear from as many as possible as to differant approches and results gained.

Thanks guys

2. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Well I've used the akasa paxmate and I can tell you this...It sure does make things hotter inside. Also did almost nothing for noise control. It is also a PAIN to take off if you ever change your mind. If you ask me...its not worth it :(

3. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

here is one cheap way to get a quiet system,

if your room is next to the garage, get a kvm
    drill a hole in the wall, and past the kvm cables through to the garge
    put comptuers in garage, now i dont hear the fans, and i can leave the system up 24/7 :)

have monitor and keyboard and speakers in my room, this rocks :)

4. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

I think that was on one of my threads.

Ive never used sound mating before. I havent water cooled before although this is on the cards within the next 2 weeks.

Air cooling though Ive found most sound can be removed by looking at fan mounting.

fans touch the case, case vibarates yadda yadda

or case not on proper stand vibrates against floor yadda yadda

Some people use wheels which is a good way of dispersing the vibrations from a case. Having the whole case on the floor in my experience can increase noise as if you have a thin carpet then it some how uses the floor to resonate the noise.

Im currently custom making some spikes which will screw into the bottom of my addtronics case which will pin it to the flooring same as you do for decent floor standing speakers (such as aegis).

Also placing a weight at bottom of case can help. All acoustic mating tries to do is distorte sound and put it on a lower resonance. Ie doesnt remove sound instead tries to lower it so it sounds deeper and therefore not so whinny.

5. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

You also have to remeber that any holes in ur case = more places for noise to escape....also put some gromets inbetween ur screws and ur cases to help cut donw on vibration.....

The only sound proofing material ive used is made just for that....buddy of mine had some left over from sound proofing a room for his band....stuff was awesome...in a case without many holes....2x80mms, 1x120mm, few minor vent holes it fan practily silent....case temp went through the roof but thats cause it asks like insulation....i havent used any of the stuff that they sell now a days for sound proofing computers cause i havent messed with it in a good 3 years....wish i had takin some pics off that case.....sold that one many many moons ago...

6. Blackeagle

Haddy a interesting idea. Perhaps the stuff used in large stereo speakers would be a possible option as well. And the foam stuff would be at least easy(er) to get out if it didn't help.

Keep the thoughts & ideas coming guys.

7. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

8. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Window insulation tape

Grommits on screw holes helps but what I have recently tried is using the thin white insulation tape you get for running round the edges of doors/windows. tape is sticky on one side and has condensed foam on the other.

Basically tape this round the edge of the fan which comes into contact with the case.

Once screwed in tight this stuff seems to remove a lot of vibration noise. Above whats removed through just using grommits.

I also have a current thought about psu placement and noise.

Most cases have the psu at the middle or top of case depending on case type. Whats on the bottom of the case? usually nothing.

There's at least 1 fan in your psu probably two which hopefully are spinning round. Which obviously cause vibration, and due to their placement this will vibrate, especially considering they are only secured by screws on one side.

Id like to try to bring the psu down onto the bottom of the case and try my insulation tape of a layer of sound proofing between them to see if psu vibrations can be dispersed to the floor.

Shame you cant buy watercooled psu's to plug into your rig.

9. Blackeagle

I've made a few "gaskets"for fans from a old pair of neoprene fishing wadders (5mm), worked well. But I'd guess that window striping would be a good bit easier.

Mat-ster

A interesting link, thanks.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2002
  10. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

egg crate + epoxy...stick it to ure case...same thing as that pax mate shiz but better...dont even need to epoxy it if u just wanna try it out...ive just got some shoved in my rig below my hdd to dissapate the sound

http://hydrogen18.0catch.com/rig.html

11. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

I am thinking about putting 100% pure sheep wool into my case to decrease the noise level. It is supposed to work really well. Anyone used it before?

12. Kevin

Kevin What's a Dremel?

sounds insane
    i think it'll work the same as putting cotton wool inside

13. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

This link may help Quietepc and this link is a good "built system" attempt by Chillblast

Matty :)

Tags: