1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Fraps Performance

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Casefan, 15 Feb 2010.

1. Casefan

Casefan One Man Army

Heya Bit-tech,

I'm playing MW2 a lot at the moment, and want to record some video. I'm currently playing at 1920x1080 with all settings max, and I'm getting 60fps+ constantly. However when I record with fraps my framerate drops to 22-30fps and the game becomes pretty much unplayable. I was wondering which component affects fraps performance the most: CPU or RAM, and whether upgrading one of these would greatly improve my fps. You can see my system specs in my sig.

Thanks,
    Casefan :thumb:

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

fraps is a monster to tame as its basically dumping raw AVI data to your hdd, there is no magic fix to getting perfect recordings, drop your resolution down to as low as you can go and set fraps to record at 30fps.

3. Casefan

Casefan One Man Army

Ok thanks, do you know if it is possible to run mw2 in windowed mode?

Edit: ignore this, found out, tyvm for help.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

wouldnt know, I tore mw2 off my hdd quicker then farcry 2

5. Casefan

Casefan One Man Army

Alt-enter in case anyone cares.

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

FRAPS is a bit of a pig when it comes to recording as it tends to destroy your framerate and dump huge files onto your hard drive at the same time. Most people report better performance with WeGame or, what I use, PlayClaw. With the latter I set it to record at half resolution (840*524) at 30FPS, and I still easily manage to get 80+ FPS in game, so I don't even notice I'm recording. Using the high compression mode (set to use 2 of my 4 cores), you're looking at about 1.4GB for a 10 minute video with the above settings, but you can obviously re-encode that later to reduce it much further.

7. Casefan

Casefan One Man Army

Ok thanks, I'll take a look at those.