1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Can't boot up new build (GA-P55M-UD2, i5 750) (Shorting) FIXED

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by cotter, 19 Feb 2010.

1. cotter

cotter What's a Dremel?

Hi Folks

I posted in the Hardware section a week ago about a new build

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=183174

Since then my parts have came in, and have been assembled with the help of a friend. At the same time he bought the exact same set up minus the case and psu as he had some kicking about.

My set up is as follows:

Black/Silver Mid Tower Case
    Antec Truepower 650
    GA-P55M-UD2
    i5 750
    Sapphire HD 5770
    Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
    500gb Caviar Blue
    Corsair 4gb XMS3
    Samsung DVD rom
    Windows 7 premium 64 bit

When the build was finished we powered up but the problems then started, the machine started to power up for approx 3 seconds then stopped for approx 5 seconds, then this cycle just looped over and over until we pulled the power. My friends build worked so we thought it should be easy enough to work out the problem, how wrong. We tried switching memoy in case I got dodgy stuff, still the same, we reseated the cpu, no change, we tried his psu as it had a 4 pin 12v connector where as mine was an 8 pin, we have tried it without memory, without gpu, still no change, we then switched the power up to the reset button but it made no difference. Making me think it is the mobo, do any of you have any ideas, as I have read a load on this, without one significant answer, some folk have had incompatible memory, whereas mine is used by loads of folk without a problem, checked the pins and none bent, reseated cpu etc..

Help please..............

Last edited: 21 Feb 2010
  2. brianthebrian

brianthebrian Bunmeister

Hi,
    this sounds like similar problem to mine, see http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=183520 - and mine's a not-so-new-build. Had something similar a while ago where it turned out a spare power plug was shorting against the case somewhere, according to the bloke in the PC shop. Maybe worth a visual check just in case ? I'll let you know if I come up with anything else. Thanks

Guest-16 likes this.
  3. cotter

cotter What's a Dremel?

Cheers for this Brian, planning on trying again tonight so will keep an eye out

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

sounds like a dead mobo to me, you pretty much tried everything.

What you could do is test the other way around: validating each of your components in your friend's (working) build, instead of trying to get your build to work with his validated components. That will allow you to isolate the motherboard as the only non-working part of your PC pretty easily, albeit a bit time-consuming.

Good luck!

5. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

Didn't you post this in Hardware, Cotter?

6. cotter

cotter What's a Dremel?

Yep, I presumed the Hardware section was morew about what parts etc.. to buy and compatability and that the Tech Support is for any problems such as this.

Apologies if I got it wrong.

7. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

cause/solution found?

8. cotter

cotter What's a Dremel?

Not yet, having another try tonight with a few more suggestions given

9. cotter

cotter What's a Dremel?

So, had another bash the night, got it working fine out the case. So we have narrowed it down to a short of the case somewhere. If we wire it all up it works fine. As soon as we screw the mobo onto the legs for the case it does the whole reboot, take out the screws and give it a wiggle its fine again. So any ideas? Can you get plastic legs to put the mobo on, plastic screws?

help please

10. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

I take it the case has the brass/copper stand off's already installed (not mounting the mobo directly onto the case). If not there should be some that come with the case, install them and them screw the motherboard into the stand off's.

If you still have no luck then the mobo must be shorting on another area, make sure the I/O plate is installed properly, the little metal tabs act as earths for each of the connections, if one of these is slightly off it could cause a problem.

11. cotter

cotter What's a Dremel?

Yeah the standoffs come already on the case, I have looked for other areas for the short and the only thing that stops it booting up is when the mobo is screwed onto the standoffs. The metal tabs are all on the the connections.

I am going to buy plastic standoffs that I have just found and try these as this is the only thing I could see it being.

fingers crossed

12. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Ok, thats sounds a little weird that it wont work when screwed onto the stand off's. Generally I would advise not to use plastic stand off's opposed to brass/copper ones (mainly due to all the warnings components come with these days to do with static build up).

Suppose if it won't work as it is then its worth a go, if it doesn't work then maybe think about returning the case and mobo, just to be sure and put your mind at rest, and keep your money in your wallet lol.

Let us know how you get one :thumb:

13. Raptorkid

Raptorkid What's a Dremel?

Are you sure there isn't an additional standoff shorting the underside of the case, if they're pre-installed ones?

Sorry if I misread something, I've been doing mock Physics A-levels all day, and I'm tired

14. cotter

cotter What's a Dremel?

So the only stand offs that can be there are ones that you put the screws in? So if any preinstalle dones are not screwed to the mobo they may short it? Have I got that right?

Will check tomorrow, I presume every whole in the mobo does not need a screw through, as there is more wholes in the mobo than the case.

If it comes to it I will try the plastics, couldnt see any problems as the mobo will still be earthed by the GPU and the I/O slots surely?

15. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

That is coorect, most cases come pre-installed with enough stand offs for m-ATX motherboards, and have the seperate stand offs in a seperate bag (some you have to buy separetly).

Unscrew any stand offs that arn't going to be going into the motherboard, this could be your problem but I dout it, worth a try though.

cotter likes this.
  16. cotter

cotter What's a Dremel?

All working, after all the great advice on here.

Turns out it was a couple of stray standoffs shorting the mobo, removed them leaving only the ones for securing the mobo and working fine.

Cheers for all the help folks:thumb:

17. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

nice one

18. brianthebrian

brianthebrian Bunmeister

Glad you got it sorted !

19. Raptorkid

Raptorkid What's a Dremel?

Glad to hear you're up and running.

20. Southern

Southern Lovable Internet Nutcase