1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Big Block CPU Cooler question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BentAnat, 16 Feb 2010.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

So, I am hoping to get some things right and then slowly start modding one of my 2 X360s.
    I have a concept in mind that I think would work well and look good, but have a question:

I am currently looking at 3 different coolers for the X360's CPU.
    These coolers are:
    1) The Cooler Master Hyper Z600
    2) The Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    3) The ZeroTherm Nirvana NV120

Of those three, I like the looks of the Zerotherm the most, and the thermalright the least.

The question I have (and my searches so far have yielded no results save for a few images that seem to indicate things) is:
    I know that none of these will fit the X360 CPU (50mm*60mm in size. That means that a new base plate would need to be manufactured. I have someone that could possibly do that for me, out of Copper.
    Which of these coolers have detachable bases?

This picture:
    [​IMG]
    Seems to indicate that the Cooler Master might just.

Anyone have any experience with something like this and can guide me?

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

why make a new base, just sandwich the copper shim between the CPU and heatsink as it wont be much different that if you were to sod around with a heatsink.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

That is of course an option... bout would look substantially worse, especially since (from what i've read), the base on the Z600 is 55mm*55mm.
    That would mean a copper shim that's 5mm shorter along the one side and 5mm longer on the other...

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

and? you plan on looking at it all day?

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The idea behind the mod is a complete piece of work...
    The heatsink will stick out of the XBox by about 10cm (estimated), so yes, this would be a complete casemod.
    I'll keep the shim as an option, but would prefer a new base that fits properly.
    so anyone have any ideas about these heatsinks/coolers?

6. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

shove a coolermaster V10 on there and have it as a hotrod / hothatch Xbox ... (think of it as a Nova with big wheels and a shiney tailpipe)

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Blarte - that's part of the idea... minus the V10. The V10 would have the same issue, BTW - the sockets don't fit - means custom base, custom brackets.
    I am not all that worried about the brackets. It's a base that I am more concerned about.
    So yeah... I'll stick with the options above, simply because the V10 costs a fortune around here - about twice of what a Z600 costs.

http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=350 <-- that could work as well... and that one looks like it has a detachable base as well

Last edited: 16 Feb 2010
  8. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Have you considered a DIY waterblock? :D

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I have, in fact. would not play as well with my idea, though. Should still be air cooled. Cooling efficiency should go up a bit from stock, but there's also no need to overkill the cooling.

10. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

^ Bah. There's no such thing as overkill :D. But anyways, good luck with the mod.

11. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I've got a 120 Black, can't see how it would be clean a job to remove the baseplate, probably not worth the hassle.

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

true as well... but ya... Water cooling not for this one.

forgive me being n00b - is that one of the ones listed above by another name?

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

sure is, the 120 black is just a black nickel coated version of the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

AH... Cool. thanks for clearing that up... i reckon that provisionally drops the Ultra 120 off the list, then...

15. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Thanks, Silver... that helped to an extent...
    Guess i will eventually have to fork out and actually buy one of these coolers to find out...

17. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Most of the bases are soldered on in order to improve transfer of heat, so I imagine no sane company will create a heatsink with a detachable base, waterblocks otherwise.

18. wawa

wawa Addicted to Cube2

i have both the coolermaster and the thermalright, i can only advise you to be aware of weight and size, the coolermaster weighs a kilo and is a behemoth, thermalrights a bit more civilised, but be sure to check they dont collide with something else or make the case topple over/ break the board -.-

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Solder's not an issue... that's nothing a minute or two of heatgun action can't sort out.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

it will be, the heat-pipes and fins will pull all the heat energy away from the target area, and by the time you get enough heat into the area to melt the solder then risk of damage to the rest of the assembly would have occurred.

During manufacturing the bond is created via flash soldering, high energy in a very short time, but to break the bond heat is input over a long period.

So I wouldn't be so cocky.