1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Remedy explain Alan Wake Xbox exclusivity

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

If it does well on the 360 I don't see a reason why they wouldn't look into the cost of porting it to PC.

3. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

They sound like a politician. Why can't they just come out and say the truth which is probably that MS are paying them too much to bring it out on anything other then the xbox.

4. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Whichever way they try and spin it, it's still a 360 exclusive which adds moisture to M$'s knickers and P's on Sony's fire. With PC owners caught in the middle.

5. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

I spy a very poor PC port on the horizon just like Assassin's Creed.

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I just hope it's worth the wait after all this time.

7. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

We all know the real reason... piracy.

Ironically, piracy is rife on 360, developers just don't realise because microsoft doesn't reveal the numbers.

8. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Bollox, it's pure incompetence. Any developer, "only 50 staff" or not, that takes THAT damn long to make a game goes straight to my ignore list.

I'm still willing to bet my left nut Alan Wake will be a buggy, unfinished, rushed, crap game.

9. Comet

Comet What's a Dremel?

Its coming out on the PC of that I'm sure. This is a marketing stunt, to capitalize sales on the XBOX. Once it makes sense they'll port to the PC. This is Microsoft were talking about and they won't loose the opportunity. IF tthe game sells well on the console and tehre is enough interest for a port (and there is) they'll do it. As simple as that.
    Mass Effect, Star Wars Force Unleashed are other examples of exclusives that "would never come out on the PC because the platform was not suited for the game"

10. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

fable, halo time-scales for pc port

11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

focusing on 1 platform should start at PC......

12. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

It's actually a really smart move by Microsoft if you think about it.

You get the developers of a much loved PC game (Max Payne) to spend years making a PC/360 game only to cancel the PC version very close to release. Yeah you piss off a lot of PC gamers, but if even 10% of them are tempted into getting a 360 because of it, then Microsoft is happy.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

never heard of alan wake before this review. Max payne 2 was crap compared to max payne 1.

microsofts 360 sales really that poor that they would need to shaft pc customers.

Most people who want a 360 now have a 360. Price isnt stopping sales anymore. Just total saturation,

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

The platform with about a million different hardware and software configurations? Yeah makes sense.

15. i7lova

i7lova What's a Dremel?

To add to what Dragunov has already said. Pc is also a much much smaller market as far as gamers go and is rampant with piracy. So yeah everyone should focus on PC first....

16. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

and more piracy issues then you can a nine tale at :p

360 all the way if you wanna make some money i guess, [not complaining i have a 360 and no pc :)]

17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

"but if even 10% of them are tempted into getting a 360 because of it, then Microsoft" gets 20,000 360 sales, and blinks.

sad but true (crysis)

18. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

You have to look at it from a business perspective, piracy is on both 360 and PC yes, but PC is MUCH easier to pirate to be honest.

So you have a company, you sold the rights to max payne to fund this game... which should I choose:

a) 360 release, large base, loads of sales, M$ wont let me do DLC for free (more income), will probably sort the company out for the next few years.
    b) PC release, sales can't be guarenteed depending if people want to pay for it, having to do extra support for all the various types of PC systems etc.

Its a no brainer, you can't complain because a company would prefer to make more money for the "x" years of development, put yourself in their shoes and things become quite clear.

I'm not saying I agree, because releasing both would be better, oh well.

19. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't call it total saturation, but Microsoft don't seem too pleased with their XBOX sales.

It makes one question if console gaming is dying: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/ps3/2009/12/14/is-console-gaming-dying/1

So after Microsoft's Games For Windows initiative (front) they are now turning more and more against their relatively small community of hardcore Windows PC gamers to convert them into XBOX gamers. :naughty:

Last edited: 22 Feb 2010
  20. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Alan who cares!

Tags: Add Tags