1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 4800 ATI Crashes in Win7 32 and 64 bit mode

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by sethnmalice, 10 Feb 2010.

1. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

I have a slight problem with my video card, I have a Gecube 4870 ATI Raedon Card 512MB, this card works fine under Windows XP Pro 32bit, but recently I got Windows 7 Ultimate and ran 64 bit mode, I'm a gamer so most of my games now don't work, not even under Win XP mode, but the ones that do work, W.o.W. and MW2, keep suffering from Video Card Driver Crashes, so I downgraded to Win 7 32 bit mode, but the same crashes keep occurring, Win 7 says the Raedon Driver has suffered a critical error, but has recovered, but the game itself crashes.

Is my video card out of date?

Even doing a driver update dosn't help, in either 32 or 64 bit versions of Windows 7, I'm pretty sure the video card heats up. Normally when the card gets hot in Windows XP the fan thermal kicks in and cools it down, it no longer does this, but I can hear the fan continuously spinning but not at the force it used to.

Do I need a Windows 7 compliant Video Card?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

card should be fine

wierd issue.

tried manually controlling the fan in ccc?

3. sethnmalice

Went into ccc, the GPU on idle is 55 degrees, and i just ran the WoW main title screen with the dragon on it and the temp increased to 80 degrees and it bounces between that and 79 degrees.

Fan speed is being controlled by the application its on 50% and fan speed is 22% - 26%
    Clock speeds are Default.

Current Values:
    500MHz GPU Clock 900MHz Memory Clock

Under Enable ATI Overdrive settings are:
    750MHz GPU CLock
    900MHz Memory Clock.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2010
  4. sethnmalice

Temperature hasn't changed 20 mins after closing the game down, its hanging on at 80% I'm guessing that's the problem, the card is overheating, then crashing.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

[​IMG]

Mine isn't overheating, though - I just updated my HD4870's drivers to the latest Win7 x64 version, and it started doing this during game launches. ****ing f*****ry.

6. Southern

Southern Lovable Internet Nutcase

This is a common problem with Windows 7 and ATI's catalyst drivers. I myself have had some trouble with a 5700 series card and the new drivers seem to fix some of the crashing bugs. I note that a lot of common software (flash for example) doesn't seem to want to work in 64bit applications, so there's a lot of developers who have some catching up to do!

Try the new version of ATI's Catalyst drivers 10.2:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

7. boiled_elephant

Hah, you'll love this though - mine only started when I installed 10.2! :wallbash:

It seems mostly ok now, I uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, changed some clock settings and upped my RAM timings and it's - touchwood - stable again.

It was crysis that was fuxxing it, incidentally. Something about Crysis-64 that it really didn't like. I left my disc at home and am using the 1.21 fixes, though, so that might have been part of the problem. Anyway, I can only get 32-bit to run, and then only in Vista-SP2 compatibility mode.

What a mess.

8. Southern

Oh dear, I can see why you're bashing your head against a wall.

Until developers write 64 bit versions of their apps, there's not much hope for compatibility in 64bit Win7.

9. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

It sounds like a driver issue, as previously mentioned. If it is overheating, and you fan is not kicking in as well, download rivatuner and increase the fan speed manually. There are other apps available to like ATI tray tools.

Also, tell AMD about your issues. User feedback they can look at and work with!

I have had no issues with their drivers and my 4850 (except Vista 64 a few years ago!), nor do I have issues with the drivers and the 5850 I now have.

You could also try a driver scrubber program to clean out the drivers and re-install them

on a side note, windows XP mode won't do anything for you.

Compatibility mode may, but not the full blown XP mode (as it does not support 3D API's inc Dirext X and OpenGL).

10. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

my 260 drivers ALWAYS crash when I'm working with photoshop, but photoshop only. Temps are fine, tried a few different drivers with no luck. Figured I'd just live with it.

11. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

Diriver issue certainly.
    Uninstall all ATI software.
    Reboot.
    In Device manager uninstall video adapter driver, and keep uninstalling it until device manager calls it a standard VGA adapter. This prevents old Windows Update drivers from re-installing themselves.
    Download and install Catalyst 10.2.

12. boiled_elephant

^ Sage advice, if I get another device crash I'll be doing that. I have to switch over to retail Win7 now anyway though (arrived in the post, eeee! :clap:) so maybe it won't be a problem after the format.

13. Southern

I believe there's actually an ATI tool that goes through an uninstalls all ATI-related drivers and software, although I don't know what it is called now and whether it has been updated. Something like ATI Remover or similar.

14. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

I can remember I had a 4850 that was similar. I stripped it down and removed the old TIM and replaced it with some old arctic silver, sorted.

That's the only other thing that may be crapping your card out.

15. ecviper

ecviper What's a Dremel?

hi i'm having same driver crash problems with my 9800 GX2. dunno what the problem is really as i have the latest 196.7xx driver installed but still same issue. gonna be doing a clean install of vista 64.

Arrrrggghhhhh