1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows A price increase?! I am OUTRAGED! You should be too!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by tareq, 23 Feb 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

To the OP:

What price increase, exactly, are you referring to? I can't see any change in the increase of Blizzard games. On Amazon.co.uk, Starcraft 2 is £29.99 and D3 £24.99, which are normal and reasonable prices for brand new PC releases. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is £17.73 which is actually cheaper than the £24.99 the last two WoW expansions were retailing for.

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I thought the same of UT3. 10 minutes after starting the game I wanted to blow up the Epic building

You can never know how disappointed a game can be ...

3. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Console games prices seem to have been increasing steadily over the last few years, I'm not surprised that one company has finally started the increasing of PC games prices to the same level.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

True. Enemy Territory fills that slot for me. But this is Diablo 3....DIABLO! Even if it's just Diablo 2 with better graphics I'd still be addicted to it!

and £25 on pre-order for D3 is a bargain. I'm ordering!

5. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

Umm, im not sure about the UK. but in the US, both games are for 59.99. Amazon has a pre-order discount on Starcraft though for $49.99.

6. fev

fev Industry Fallout

You'll find a substantial amount of retailers won't be interested in the thoughts and opinions of news sites and their readers as they only equate to an extremely small number of consumers.

Sorry mate.... no revolution anytime soon. Only when digital comes out.

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The fact is, you have a choice whether to buy these games or not. Your thread title is so frothy mouthed and hysterical you'd think that someone had priced the air you breathe at £10 a second. If you don't think those prices represent good value, then don't buy them. Its called capitalism, not "outrage" when a company prices its products how it feels likes.

julianmartin likes this.
  8. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

god, how many times to i have to repeat this. this is not about the $10. read the pervious posts and no, there are standards for pc game prices.

9. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

But, it's the informed minority that influance the an uninformed majority. Plus, I hope for digital dist. to under cut retailers but at the end the price is controlled by the publisher.

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

everybody loves to bitch about games prices but the thing is they seem to have forgotten that it has always been this way ! It was actually much worse in the SNES/N64 days when we also had to pay for the cartridge. I remember Sonic and Knuckles on the Genesis (Megadrive for you friends on the other side of the Atlantic) being 125$ ! .... 125 ! On the SNES games with the FX chip were also more expensive (StarFox, Stunt Racer FX [I believe that was the name]). On the N64 some games were more expensive than the others too like (obviously) the Gold version of Ocarina of Time or Perfect Dark (not 100% sure on that one)

Then came the golden days of the PSX and its crapload of Greatest Hits titles that were cheap as hell.

As for the PC all the games have always been around 50$ from what I can remember (from way back to 97). In 2007 I paid CoD4 55$, which is reasonable because back in the 90s there wasn't much online play, which means no master servers to host, no gameservers, no game updates and no anti cheat updates (okay this is relative)

So now you're saying that in 2010 you wouldn't be willing to pay 10$ more for one of the most anticipated game of all time ? A game which you can be 100% certain will be quality. A game which will come with a brand new free battle.net support and which you damn well know will work online for years and years

don't be a cheap ass

11. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

Surely if you take inflation into consideration, relative costs of all games have been dropping. I'd chalk this increase to the last 10/15 years inflation.

I can't wait for the fuel in the US to hit the same levels as the UK/Europe :)

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

why would you wish that ? To get even ? Even how ? That wouldn't bring you anything and it would suck for us.

We're not laughing at you guys, we do agree that you are getting ripped off when it comes to games prices

13. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

I was thinking more for the amount of complaints that will be going on at those prices. Plus it will produce more efficient cars and therefore reduce the pollution from cars.

BTW, I do not believe that cars are to blame for 'global warming'.

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

well let's not shift the subject too much but trust me, it's happening here too. We don't need the gas prices to be any higher because things are already changing here as well

/back on topic

15. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

im still waiting for left for dead 2 to go down in price maybe in January i might be lucky. When you mentioned D3 a part of me died in side i would pay alot for that game, so nobody mention that game again untill a release date please (18months or somthing)

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Bless you for not having the commercial accumen needed to understand your own goal.

Digital distribution will lead to all pricing being set at current RRP levels, even though you don't get a physical manual or a disk for your hard earned cash.

This can be currently seen with the Sony PSN, where you pay full price for PSP title with no resale value.

17. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Care police. Blizz make consistently good games -> deserve more money.

18. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

OO really!? then according to your logic by the end of the year we should have $100 priced games. Bravo.

Many independent devs and smaller studios make excellent games as well such as stardock and valve but we don't see them charging a premium on top off cutting features and using draconian DRM.

19. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Again mate, you ignore all logic. Firstly, Blizzard games do not have draconian DRM in the slightest. Secondly, as I stated in my previous post, Blizzard have not got more expensive in the UK. I honestly don't care how expensive games are in the US as most items are cheaper in the US by comparison of purchasing power of the two currencies. Of course, with your degree in economics and finance, I'm sure you understand that.

20. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Tareq, RRP is set by the publisher, actual store pricing is set by stores.

Modern Warfare:2 had an RRP of £54.99, very few places actually sold it for that price

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.