1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware LGA1366 Heatsink Testing Update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Feb 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

That Gelid cooler looks great value for money and a sound investment for those of us that like to keep out PC's cool and quiet.

All I need now is a graphics card that is just as quiet and am growing impatient waiting for see nvidia's offering to AMD/ATI's current line up, as I believe nvidia have a more rounded feature set to offer, plus better marketing, though I can't help but admire the AMD/ATI machine for it's achievements.

3. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Please let us know how high these are...

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

How high what are tony? DO you mean the dimensions of the coolers? If so, a 1 second click through to the original reviews reveals that the GELID is 120 x 99 x 153 (W x D x H) with a fan and the Thermalright is 127 x 63 x 160mm (W x D x H) without a fan.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That GELID heatsink looks a good performer and a very nice bargain :).

I still think the TRUE is the best air cooled heatsink ever though once it's lapped perfectly, bit of a pita to lapp but well worth doing, a true masterpiece of a heatsink, I can't see any company doing significantly better with such a size.

I would love it if thermalright made a special edition high version of the TRUE which could hold 2 x 120mm fans on both sides, I think that would be the only way to make it significantly better, but would only appeal to a small minority I expect so will probably never happen, but then again thinking of the gigantic 480mm radiators some have then why not, I'd love to see enthusiast air cooled heatsinks & would love to design a case around one, I prefer air cooling over water cooling, so much easier & safer for pc hardware maintenance, but I've had awesome results with my TRUE so I'm quite happy :).

Looking at the results of the new venomous it looks clear as day to me they are at the limit of design for the size of the heatsink so the only way to get impressively better results worthy of switching from a lapped TRUE is do a TRUEXL :).

6. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

glad to see these fixed. nice one.

7. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

bit tech guys - you have to get a sample of the Prolimatech Megahalems. They are superb heatsinks.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya the Venomous-X is still not worth it, given the price, its more of a marketing ploy to get fresh blood into the company then anything of any real value. I suppose you can only go so far on the current heatsink tech and they have pretty much hit their (Thermalright) limit.

9. johnvarenda

johnvarenda What's a Dremel?

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

may i suggest fitting that same high-cfm fan to each heatsink that makes it possible in the future, and adding a medium-cfm fan aswell? This would really increase the value of the numbers in the chart.

kudos for catching the flaw and updating!

11. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

I DO like what you've done with the URL

12. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

If it's FUB(eyond)A(ll)R(epair), then where are this numbers coming from? Beyond the grave? ;)

Well, at least those yelling about how the V-X rawks will quieten down...

13. Tanacel

Tanacel What's a Dremel?

See this makes me want a Gelid even more. But can you actually get one in the UK? I've ordered at Scan and got an out of stock email 3 days ago and Overclockers is also out of stock!

When you guys next review good kit, could you let me know in advance so i can order it before everyone else please : )

14. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

how loud was the high CFM fan on the venomous? how does it compare to the fenrir fan on high?

15. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

Go Titan TTC, getting one in a few days. Looks like a complete beast for the money.

16. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

I reckon Thermalright have hit the limit of the efficiency of their tower designs, I put it down them still using a heatspreader/machined base. I'd expect to see an improvement if they embraced direct-touch heatpipe designs.

Of course someone with the money and the skills could try it! :p

17. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

it was very loud, probably louder than the Fenrir's fan on max rpm, but both would be v hard to live with every day.

18. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Good on you Bit Tech/CPC for resolving this and going to the trouble of re-testing and posting the results. Most others would have swept it under the carpet...

Hats off!

Tags: Add Tags