1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Which Is Better?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rmagro, 25 Feb 2010.

1. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

Hi, i'm pretty much a noob when it comes to PC stuff so was wondering what you guys thought...

Which of these would be the best buy for normal computer use plus the added gaming on MW2 etc...

intel Q8200 (Quad Core) 2.5GHz

intel E7500 (Dual Core) 2.93GHz

I have found both of these for about £95 - £105

Or if you have any other recommendations, I will gladly listen, all I need is Socket 775 and around the £100 mark if possible.

Thanks in advance :D

2. littlexanth

littlexanth Saving for a Dremel

As a straight choice between a dual core or quad core, I would recommend the dual core with a higher clock speed for gaming performance. Quad core can be a hindrance for gaming. However, if you are making heavy use of multi-threaded applications or doing a lot of multi tasking, you would feel a benefit of the quad core.

Hope that helps whether to pick dual or quad core. Are you going to be overclocking it?

3. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply littlexanth, I was definitely planning on overclocking it, but I have never overclocked a quadcore. Is it harder than single or dual cores? or does it make no difference?

4. littlexanth

littlexanth Saving for a Dremel

It's not that one is harder to overclock than the other, I was thinking that some chips overclock better than some. So a cheaper one might give a bigger overclock than the E7500 can give. More bang for your buck.

Have a hunt around for any group tests that included overclocking. I'll see if I can find anything.

5. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the great advice :D + rep

I will definitely look into this more thoroughly. I am going to use the Titan Fenrir to cool it so I'm not sure how much it will overclock. I will investigate.