1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Fractal Design R2 Case Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 15 Jan 2010.

1. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave What's a Dremel?

ha :) So the cold smell isn't a problem...anyone got any feedback when it's warm?

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well ones on its way to be reviewed by me ^_^ along with a few extra fans to test stock and then with additional fans, so it shall be interesting.

3. CustomPCMAX

CustomPCMAX Computer Geek

Why wasn't there a couple fans installed for the testing phase? Although I firmly believe that if a case needs the fans for it's intended purposes, the mfg should include them, that doesn't mean we want to see the results without the fans. Almost any person getting this case would install fans in the open bays before running their system.

Besides that, good review, I think the case looks pretty nice.

4. HourBeforeDawn

ya they sent me this case to review as well as their brand of 120mm and 140mm fans, once I get to it in my review que, I will let you know. :)

Bit-Tech reasoning is well they have a few excuses, but mainly being the different types of fans out there, but they could have just stuck with Fractals fans which would have been more reasonable or have a set standard of fans they use from here on out for "empty" fan locations and have both stock and full case comparisons.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2010
  5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've been through this before :p There's a blog post result with fans installed. We did listen to what people wanted and did a follow up :)

If Fractal had designed it for more fans - it would have included them. It doesn't because it wants to hit a price point and what we get is the price as reviewed. It's the uniform line, otherwise there are literally dozens of combinations which detracts from a scientific method of testing that's only changing a single thing: the case. By the extension of the fan argument, we'd be testing all graphics cards with aftermarket coolers or heatsinks with different/more fans than they come with too.

Fractal made and sold a low noise, low airflow case with the option of more - at the cost of noise - at the users discretion :)

6. daryy

daryy Banned

Some of them have been commented on in the article, others have not. It's still a great case in the price range.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Absolutely, we love it and recommend it. It's going in our buyers guide again.

8. HourBeforeDawn

wait you there was a blog post? linky? I would like to check that out. :)

9. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Those of you Yanks wondering when we can get this case, I asked Hannes at Fractal Design, here is his reply.

We have at least a reseller that has signed up to purchase the first container, it is Canadian NCIX.com, but as I understand they also sell somewhat to the US . As it looks, they will have on stock in end of April. - Hannes Wallin, Managing Director at Fractal Design

The carton is around 24 pds. I'd estimate NCIX will charge between $30 - $40 Postal Shipping from Canada to United States (4 - 7 business days)

fyi: The chassis construction is identical to the Xigmatek Midgard. I'm convinced these 2 cases are made in same factory.

The 1/8" Bitumen (bye-TOO-men) gives the impression of the steel panels being thick, but they're actually very thin @ 0.7mm, SECC: Steel, Electrogalvanized, Cold-rolled, Commercial quality.

CustomPCMax and I are building a system in the R2...today, actually..heh

10. CustomPCMAX

CustomPCMAX Computer Geek

Alright Bindi, I understand why you did it the way you did. I am coming from a power user stand point, so I just didn't take away from the article what I needed to really understand the performance in the case. The follow up was very appreciated.

My biggest concern after seeing that (without seeing the follow up) was this case might get a bad rap, when really it is a pretty nice case. This is a new company that came in with a strong offering, I'd hate to see them get written off before they even have a chance to break into our US market.

After looking at the case myself (with Bill at MNPCTECH) I do think it is pretty unrealistic that you could keep it at stock fan setup for most system arrangements. The fans provided don't really have enough RPM to keep the airflowing, so some extra fans (or different ones altogether) would be necessary.

No hard feelings? I still think you are da bomb reviewer :)

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Muhaha Harry reviewed ;) I watched.

The problem is, Fractal should have thrown more fans in the box or added something in to tell us "all fans used = great performance". If the manufacturer doesn't get off its hide to market and inform about the product properly, we're not really accountable. ;)

If the fans provided are **** - it's at extra cost to the consumer to provide a complete set of new ones, which goes against its value score. Regardless of subjective aesthetics, the Cooler Master HAF 922 provides much better airflow for the same cost then.

It's not about getting a bad write-up, it's about marketing a product correctly. ;)

12. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

You guys did the 2nd roundup testing with the better results (with 5x 120mm fans). What orientation did you have the fans in? i.e; front 2 = intake, etc

13. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

@Bindibadgi

given the interest in the extra fans it would seem either they or you marketed it well!!

regardless its a nice case with extra fans, you reviewed it as such, you put it in the recomended specs...

shall we move on before you hate this f ing case?

14. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I'm sure Fractal is listening to us and taking notes. The response has been overall positive. It's just a matter of wider distribution now. Nate and I recorded a review of the case a couple of weeks ago.

15. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

mod u vent FD*ck YEAH

you sounded soooo bored....

but having said that good coverage

regarding the ' we review stuff at stock ' glad your affiliated with 'stock pc mag'

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Very nice case, to bad there isn't an aluminum version with 3 or 4 5.25" bays

17. Linus@ncix

Linus@ncix What's a Dremel?

18. skysplitter

skysplitter What's a Dremel?

i think you answered your own question...the air intakes are behind a closed door(which has sound dampening material glued to it.) because its a case which is designed to be as quiet as possible.(at the expense of heat build up.)

simples....

19. fufa

fufa What's a Dremel?

I'd like to post a bit about my experiences with the Define R2 case and Fractal Design. When I received my case, all seemed rosy, though I thought the noise dampening left quite a bit to be desired. No composite noise dampening materials and they used cheapo bitumen. But anyway, my main gripe is this:

The USB front panel connectors came with an incorrectly wired USB motherboard cable. The crossed wires turned out to be the USB power supply. So when I connected my external SSD (an OCZ Throttle) to the eSata port with power from the USB port the disk was pretty much instantly fried - all data lost. This was a known problem for Fractal Design at the time, but they had not informed the distributor I bought the case from, nor issued a product recall - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to buy the case (the distributor I bought it from no longer carries the Define R2 case).

To top it all off, Fractal Design seems to think that a correctly wired USB cable is a good enough replacement for my lost disk. It seems I would have to run a full fledged legal case against them to get a replacement disk. And seeing as I trusted them and sent them my fried disk when they asked for it, I no longer have any physical proof. Consider this when you're thinking about buying any Fractal Design product.

20. leslie

leslie Just me!

So the first thing you plugged into a brand new usb plug is an SSD?

You do realize that many boards have had different USB wiring over the years right?

Tags: Add Tags