1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Executioner, 22 Feb 2010.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

A "solid state one" like the OP suggested? orly? Where can I get one of these 2TB SSDs for $100? :)

2. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I got media, music and patches on an external drive at the moment ( you don't need an ssd for storage unless you're barking mad and rich ).

If i reinstall windows then i just need to reinstall games which i do as i play them, not all in one go.

You could even put windows in a partition so if you want to reinstall you just reformat the partition leaving all your personal stuff on the drive.

When i can afford it i would like an ssd for the operating system and games, i will still put all the other stuff on the external drive.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

If you hate windows so much, why did you reinstall it? Why not go for Linux instead?

Yes. Estimated.. They could still fail after 2,5 milliseconds. That's you you have backups. You never know when stuff fail.

You have no idea how many times I have tried to explain to customers that their new computer still failed regardless of the fact that they think it was bloody expensive.

I'm sorry, but you can't get much solid state storage for 100$. You really don't need for it to be solid state either. A backup should be taken offline when you are done copying the files. (Virus safety)

The best backup will be a combination of online and offline backup. It will cost more and be more effort to set up, though.

4. Executioner

Executioner What's a Dremel? A quick razor

New egg got an SSD 32gig for $120 I don't need a whole lot of storage, 32g is more than enough for music,pics and saved games, I'm not goin for a complete backup just stuff I want to keep.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

It would probably be easier and maybe cheaper to go for a USB based drive than a traditional SATA based SSD.

6. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Why would you even consider an SSD for a backup drive, it's one big advantage over a HDD is access speed, something you have no need for what so ever in a backup drive which should only be accessed in the case of a colossal screw-up.

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Heh, I love these threads! People who find windows difficult to install are awesome!

(Avid windows user here! :p)

8. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Step 1: Switch P.C off

Step 2: Unplug from the wall

Step 3: Give YOUR P.C to charity

Step 4: Never go near a P.C again ;)

Step 5: Their is no step 5, job done :D

9. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

You obviously don't have much to save if you can put it on a sub $100 SSD! Can't see you getting much more than a 32Gb? My Steam directory alone is over 130Gb. Also, unless you are running Win7, your SSD will become almost unusable very quickly, as you wont be able to use TRIM.

10. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

A 32GB SSD would probably be okay for pics, videos and SAVED GAMES as in the type where you get to a certain part and you only want to save your profile/savegame location, but NOT full games.

I think that's what Executioner is wanting to do DK63, not save his games but save his saved game files, also in Executioners defence he said the 32GB SSD was $120 not Sub $100.

Personally 32GB still isn't enough! If I were you Executioner, why not just buy a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 as a backup drive and then buy another as a backup for the backup.

2 of those would set you back $199 and you'd get exactly 1862 Gigabytes of Diskspace for less than $200 which is pretty damn good! As opposed to $100 for a 32Gb SSD!

Do the math lol.

11. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I found just backing up pics/music/saves etc... a little pointless. Imo it makes sense to have 1 or 2 backup drives and create full disk backups. That way if everything goes wrong in no time at all i can have my system back exactly as it was before.