1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Good Job Sony. PSN Error Prevents me from Playing some games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by themax, 1 Mar 2010.

1. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/28/p...s-experiencing-game-crashing-errors/#comments

Noticed this on Kotaku and Joystiq after trying and find out I can't play Star Ocean 4: International. Some folks are floating that the cause is the date and leap year related (though it is not a leap year). My PS3 has set it's internal time and date to 12/31/1999 6:00PM

Nice.

Apparently the PS3 Slims aren't affected by this but the phat consoles, wether plugged online, or not are definately being affected.

2. ernestBurney

ernestBurney Who What Where?

epic fail @ sony

3. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Lol the millenium bug is making a comeback!

4. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

hrmm ... after reading this on engadget last night, i fired mine up to check - sure enuff, 12/31/99 ...

didn't stop me from playing Rachet & Clank though ...

5. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

It doesn't affect all games. Just ones that sync trophies when they start up. Star Ocean, Heavy Rain, ect.. Star Ocean fails to install trophy data and then kicks me back to the XMB.

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

well i logged onto PSN from the pc and checked my trophies - there a couple missing from yesterday afternoon. most notably "regifter" - something about Clank whacking X amount of fireballs back at the nasty green mosquito looking things ...

7. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Just out of interest, has anyone tried changing their internal clock to the correct time?

8. Hovisloaf

Hovisloaf What's a Dremel?

yes i changed my clock back to the original time it does nothing

9. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

According to a BBC radio 1 news report (5.45pm) Sony are recommending users don't use their PS3 until the problem is fixed, as there could be a risk to the game save data

10. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

For anyone willing to try it resetting the internal battery solves the problem. Voids warranty though

11. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

12. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Just powered mine on. Connected to the PSN and I was able to play Star Ocean 4 now. Oddly enough a few people pitched the idea late last night that around 3:00GMT time the issue will go away since the internal clock will be passed the non existant 2/29/2010 this year.

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

happened to me to. so i decided that while it was not working i would take the time to take my ps3 apart and replace the original thermal paste with arctic silver. once i was done i turned on my ps3 and everything was fine. i guess that was from the battery or something.

but anyways sony has said everything is now fixed. it was annoying but atleast it didnt ruin the consoles and stuff. and it only lasted 24hours.

better than RROD :)

14. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

It fixed itself but I guess in one of the future firmware updates ome sort of fix/workaround will be implemented to prevent the RTC clock bug from appearing again.

15. Hg

Hg The game known as life

I do not think Sony fixed it at all I believe they were just waiting for the date to change (ie get to midnight) and hope that it fixed its self as the bug was caused by the fact that some PS3s thought 2010 was a leap year, like you said it only lasted 24 hours which leads me to believe i am correct in my statement, and it was caused by the fact there was no ‘feb 29’ causing the PS3 calendar to crash temporary as it could not find the date therefore reverting it back to ‘jan 1 2000’ for the 24 hour duration

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Last night, about 10pm-ish, I manually changed the date as I noticed it said 31/12/99, then went in for a game of HAWX - it stopped when trying to load the saved game saying something about it couldn't sync the trophy info. Erk. So I played the Darkstalkers demo for a bit, then just after midnight, it picked up the correct date and time via the internet, so I had a quick go of HAWX and it loaded fine.

I didn't touch the trophy icon on the xmb but I guess if I sync it, it should be fine now?

17. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Seems odd that a simple wrong date could prevent you from playing games though. Surely something else possibly related stopped the games working

18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Do I need to connect to the internet to fix the problem? I've just moved house and I don't have internet here

19. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

trophies store the date and time they were beaten, as the date reverted back to 2000 that was 10 years in the future and caused an error when the game tried to read them. re setting the date and time didnt sort it.

no you should be fine, there is nothing to fix as such, it just needed to click over to 00:01 02/03/2010 GMT as the clock is GMT+x for each time zone

sotu1 likes this.
  20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Well balls, because I tried to play Hawx and it errored, it effed up the trophy info. I created a new profile tonight and it registered the trophy from the first mission fine. At least I hadn't got far, I suppose.