1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs How To Fix Underscan in ATI's Catalyst Control Center

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 Mar 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

This behaviour has been there for a LONG time and it's very confusing unless you know where to look. I was also dumbfounded when I set up a friend's Windows 7 about half a year ago.

I'm surprised that noone with clout has contacted ATi regarding this behaviour. Maybe someone at, say bit-tech, could do it... :)

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, I drive a beamer at 1920x1080 over HDMI and see no overscan issue...then again my driver is quite old I guess.
    Desktop size is pixelprecise, some games give a smaller picture though.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I believe it's only in the Windows Vista/Windows 7 drivers.

5. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

I had the same problem. I have a 24' monitor @1920x1080 which connects through DVI and has no issues. However when I connect my 32' TV via HDMI it never seems to fit. It doesn't matter if I'm trying 1080 or 720(which is what windows 7 recommends in the screen resolution box).

I had to go hunting for ages to find the scaling options in the CCC. But even then it's not a 100% perfect fit as there is still a tiny tiny amount of overscan. It's fine as I only watch movies on the TV. But I know it's there and it annoys me something rotten!

6. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Using windows 7 64bit. Never had the issue on Vista.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I fixed all my HDMI underscan woes with ATi hardware by telling my TV to 'Just Scan' (ie: 1:1 pixel mapping). Turns out it wasn't a problem with ATi at all. Just the TV defaulting to something stupid.

I've never had underscan from ATi hardware via either DVI or VGA, it seems like it's an HDMI thing rather than a specific ATi problem. What was interesting is that my nVidia Ion HTPC had the opposite problem - ridiculous amounts of overscan; that was fixed with the same option on the TV.

Have had this with both Vista and Windows 7.

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Grrr.. Whenever I try to fix this and click "Configure" on my HDTV in the CCC menu it just goes to the start screen. Any suggestions?

9. blohum

blohum What's a Dremel?

"The drop-down of the large screen has different options to that of the smaller screen"... it took me two hours before I realised that, thanks ATI!

10. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

I have noticed that ATI/AMD is tending towards over-complication in the design of its driver interface, far too many levels and layers of options hidden behind tiny unimportant looking pieces of interface.

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

found some tvs need to be set to game mode to get the full screen when its coming from an PC

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah...im still on XP, that explains.
    yeah, the CCC is too complicated, just a plain driver would suffice for most.
    But if you do feed to a TV, using CCC is easier than just the driver.

13. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Got it working. Had to update from 9.8 to 10.2 :-/

14. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

I only ever had this problem with Crysis/Warhead.

15. zpikez

zpikez mod-pirate

had this problem with my 4870 all versions ive had of ccc had the card 8 months or so and ive been using my old monitor because this was soooo annoying, thanks for the help clive

16. zpikez

zpikez mod-pirate

oOo it may be a hdmi thing though, my i3 media center also did it but the interface was much more simple than CCC

17. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

i have this with my 1920*1200 24" when using a dvi-hdmi cable. so its not just with 1080

18. praxis22

praxis22 Geek

Actually I may have this issue on XP with a 4870 & a CRT @16x12 may have to check it out, it's been driving me nuts for a while.

19. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I had to route thru the CCC options too when I first connected my PC up to my plasma as a second monitor.

The CCC is a mess. They need to organise the menus to make everything a lot clearer and not hide important options in submenus of submenus!

20. Fark

Fark What's a Dremel?

Thank you so much for this guide!

I were so frustrated and angry I couldn´t find this option in catalyst.
    Sure it works flawless for some, but for a lot of people catalyst is doing this all the time. I have a 23" monitor with 2048x1152 resolution + a 1080p projector connected to a ATI 5750 and I have this problem every time I´m updating catalyst.

With Nvidia I never had any issues like this, but then again, I don´t want to use an Nvidiacard so I´ll guess I have to live with the fact I must follow this guide every time I´m updating catalyst.

Tags: Add Tags