1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits CeBIT 2010 - Fermi, spider cases and more

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 5 Mar 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Price and seven months use already, probably.

2. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Better initial results would have been nice and may seem like something of a let down, hence why I can't wait to see bit-tech's benchmarks to see what these cards can really do.

Don't forget that the nvidia cards also come with physx capabilities which has a pretty good following and provides more eye candy and is included in the price, yes I know there is the havok engine, etc, but I prefer some things like physics to be done in hardware.

3. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

I LOL'd till I cried.

Guest-16 likes this.
  4. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Yes but as soon as fermi lands ATi is going to whip out the 5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 and take back the crown.

Fermi? More like Semi

5. TheGovernator

TheGovernator What's a Dremel?

I was sort of looking for a short paragraph on Silverstone's SG07, but you guys might still get there. You should.

6. SimoomiZ

SimoomiZ What's a Dremel?

Can't really understand the point of these ultra leet Asus cards like this new Ati version of the Mars. Not coming with a custom Water block and little likelihood of an aftermarket block being developed means that any buyer would have to be a complete bozo to spend that much on that card. I mean, any buyer would be expected to team it with other equally leet parts, result ; a mind bogglingly expensive, noisy air cooled rig? Silent wc'ed, Sli'ed 5870s, cooled by a quad rad , in nice large case all could be had for the price of one of those, it represents a very odd choice.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

For the price of 6 screens and the ATI-6 card, you'll be left with a semi. :/

Not to mention that 6 doesnt really work.. but you can read about it in our article.

8. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

how the hell did nvidia managed to release the 480 cards
    their yields were in single digits
    can some one tell me how they managed to get enough of them ?????

9. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

All the rumour and doomsday predictions were all bollocks, just more fodder for the ATi troll fangirls. I'd wait for the official Bit-tech word on it.

10. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Lian-Li PC-Q07 looks perfect for a media PC i have in mind.

is it me or Antec cases looks uglier by the day.

12. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Ooooo getting excited. Time to count the pennies in the piggy bank

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Googled it: that is a pretty cool little case!

What's with all the Nvidia hate? It seems all the ATI fanbois are crawling out of the woodwork! The benchmarks for the 470 show it to have performance somewhere in between a 5850 and a 5870, with figures closer to the 5870 in some cases. If this card is priced appropriately (£275 seems to be the figure everyone mentions) then it fits in nicely. If it's sold for £250 (IF) then it immediately makes the 5850 obsolete unless ATI drop the price back to £200 (oh, that's right, you already have the 'amazing' 5830 for that price...).

I'm expecting the 480 to be quite the card though. Can't wait for the review!

14. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I still remember where ATI where with the HD2xxx in the start and look how well its matured.
    Is the same sort of path Nvidia is taking, this is a whole new architecture for them right?
    And if this is their starting point I'm impressed and can only imagine how well it will scale with time.

15. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Bit like me when I read your post " nVidia can't eek a ton more performance "....you think they can make it go faster by giving it a fright? LOL, I suspect you meant eke, but it made me laugh all the same.

I want fermi to happen, but for different reasons than FPS in crysis. Nvidia have the gpgpu lead even now, no doubts about that. Fermi *should* be even faster. More than anything though, I wish these 2 manufacturers could reach some common ground & work together more closely on the future of GPU tech rather than just playing one-upmanship. If they can get their collective acts together, we might see server & services technology able to change quite drastically. Nvidia are making the bigger positive moves in that direction right now, fermi or not. OpenCL is *not* enough.

16. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

It doesn't even excite me that much..

17. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I agree SimoomiZ. If you aren't watercooling, you have no business buying any of these anyway. The problem though is that these are not meant to be actually used, as in, sitting on a desk in some pimply-faced geek's bedroom playing COD4.

These parts are meant to get some press coverage and nothing else. This means that it's impractical to go for watercooling, since they are swapped in and out of test benches too often.

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

more like chubbi.. ati can change their line to stiffy after it's out

the nvidia fans can't wait to mindlessly follow.. funny all the secrecy, I tend to believe it's going to be a big hot fail just watch :D

19. SimoomiZ

SimoomiZ What's a Dremel?

I think you'd be surprised, when OCUK had the air cooled Asus Mars cards in stock, at a similar price to this new Ati based card, a buyer boasted of the framerate he was now attaining in his fav game. Even the lowly figure of 1000 units is enough for quite a few to end up that way, in the rigs of peeps who have money to burn, KLF style.

Of course I understand your point though - about it just being a demonstration of technical prowess by team Asus, kind of like a proof of concept model, much like Sony's fantastic OLED TV everyone drooled over at a previous exhibition. Only for Sony to then announce that they aren't making any more .

20. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Yeh like +1. Just stupid show pieces with a few extra FPS...

Tags: Add Tags