1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WoW Hacked Account Advice

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MErchunter, 7 Mar 2010.

1. MErchunter

MErchunter What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

Just today my WoW account was hacked via a trojan in my system, and the password was changed. What i really want to know is has anybody ever gone through the process of account recovery before, and could they give any advice?

Thanks a lot guys,

MErchunter

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

1.Contact Blizzard, tell them you've been hacked. Give them the necessary security details to prove you are indeed you, and they'll reset your password.

2. Stop browsing warez and pr0n, and clicking on e-mail links at random :)

3. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Happened to my girlfriends account just the other day :(

First off get rid of the virus!! Then you need to do is reset your password from the WoW website. Then log into your account and ticket a gm to get it resolved. It may take a few days but you should get everything back in the end.

I'm afraid there's nothing else to do so just try and be patient while they fix it.

Oh and it might be worth investing in authenticator or there's and iphone and android app thats free.

4. Pookeyhead

Darv makes a good point. If you get your account back and you still have the virus, then it will be hacked again in short order.

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

pretty sure older need for speed games did. hot pursuit comes to mind.

6. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

Have you recently started browsing WoW fansites? If you've registered for a forum, I am betting that you reused the same password/username.

7. MErchunter

MErchunter What's a Dremel?

@Pookeyhead: I sent them a photocopy of my provisional driving license, im concerned because my dad is the credit car owner not myself, any idea what will happen?

@Darv: No worries, the first thing i did was get rid of that pesky virus :) How long did it take to get the account back?

@Feedayeen: No forums here :D

Thanks for the advice guys. I've just gotta wait it out now, sent off the form for the Account password reset or whatever its called.

8. mrcizzo

mrcizzo What's a Dremel?

What's kind of funny is, when my account was keylogged, I didn't have to send them anything.

I just put in a GM ticket after I changed my password and I figured, he's got nothing to take from me now. After I put it in I reformatted my computer and changed the password from my friend's computer while I was doing that.

I got my gear back in about a week.

9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Get the blizzard authenticator token. Its not possible to hack those accounts as the fob uses a crytographic cypher to produce the digits on the screen.

10. Darv

Darv Bling!!

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

As far as the actual account recovery goes, good luck. Had some real horror stories from guild members about terrible experiences with GMs. Your worst case scenario is getting hacked, then being used for gold trafficking and being banned. Guildy of mine had that happen and ended up with no characters (used to have 3 80s). Blizzard offered him two of his 80s with 2500 gold each and some emblems (though none of his old gear), OR he would get nothing and they'd try to find his third character. Key word being try, if you so much as reply to the email offering this they revoke the deal granting two characters and attempt a full recovery with no guarantee that you will get anything more. Luckily he did get his third character, though none of them had gear. Just struck me as awful that they'd offer you money and items to just shut up and not make them work.

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

It is, its just harder.

But yeah, get an authenticator. Blizzard is going to maker them mandatory with cataclysm anyway I will bet, they cant deal with the amount of hacking going on so they will need to do something.

13. Pookeyhead

When this happened to my wife she had to send nothing. She just complained about it, answered a couple of security questions, and they reset it within the hour.

I'm fairly certain there's nothing they can do to your dad's card, as the account and payment details pages on WoW Europe don't display your credit card details... obviously. The worst he can do is transfer payment over to another card... and let's be honest... if you're gonna do that, you'd just start your own account :)

Plus.. if it's a credit card, and not a debit card, you'll be covered by fraud insurance anyway.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

id guess the authentacator will be made mandataroy might even ship with the disk for cata.

contact blizzard tell them you have been hacked they ask for hte following

name on account
    name on credit card ( if payment is like this ) last 4 digits of card also
    secret question answer
    cd key for wow tbc wrath

then they reset it for you

if your missing gold or items thats a gm ticket and another 3 weeks

takes little over 10mins to get account back though

15. laxaria

laxaria What's a Dremel?

Happened to my best friend just a few weeks ago ... he contacted the support and got his account back. His items were gone, but he got shitloads of gold to compensate for that.
    He's using some additional security stuff now, where he gets a unique code/password sent to his phone or email (I'm not sure any more) and he has to enter that before being able to log in - and it's only valid a minute or so.
    If you're interested in that stuff I can ask him for the details and post them for you.

16. Dave P

Dave P What's a Dremel?

Should point out that it may not be a keylogger, I found a scarily well reconstructed armoury site on a vvw instead of www that came up in ppc links.

the little pendrives you get from blizz would be the best solution though, even if they are a pain to use with a new code needed every login. Faster than getting you're account back every other month though lol.