1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Jaffe: "Sony should sue Microsoft"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Mar 2010.

1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

@Sloth: while I understand your point, we would run out of titles very quickly if si ilarities like that were not allowed, just like we would very quickly run out of games if similar themes could not be tackled by different developers without fear of being sued.

2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

There was also War Gods (a bad Mortal Kombat clone from Activision) back in the early 90's.

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

but Scrap Metal is pretty much exactly the same as Twisted Metal AND the name is almost exact. It is quite ridiculous how close the names are. If the gameplay was not even close then fine but when gameplay AND titles are are the exact same then there is a problem.

Whats next? Tiny Huge Planet....

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

should they have called it twisted plastic or scrap plastic? metal is what it is twisted or scrap

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Twisted Metal was great fun..

With that said, this is getting a bit petty no?

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Or the new shooter, Call of Honor. Copy two games at once! :D

7. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

Exactly!! Devil May Cry (2001), God of War (2005) VERY well put!

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Except that you've completely missed Jaffe's point. This was an article about disturbingly similar subjects and titles, not gameplay mechanics.

9. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

also remember this Jaffe's you'r the Creator of Twisted Metal : And there Being many off-spin around you'r game style : including The popular Vigilante 8 & Vigilante 8 2nd offense : it was very alike and better then First Twisted Metal For The Gameplay Balance in overall multiplayer experiance :

Oh yeah don't forget Road Kill By Midway It was Average most of my Friend hated it Also what About Death Rally in 1996 ? Iv Remember played that game like if it was Yesterday on DOS it was very good iv liked duke nukem inside it :

and the thing about Scrap Metal / Twisted metal : Iv knew many game that Wear Metal inside : Full auto ect.

but let not all forget the pioneer of the style : Rock N roll Racing by Blizzard : IT bring just so much good memory on my Sega Genesis & Friend Snes & GBA : you could Literally Destroy ur opponent to win the race

(Wikipedia)
    It has been unofficially announced that Jaffe and his new company, Eat Sleep Play, will be developing a new title in the Twisted Metal franchise[2], for the PlayStation 3

But Id hope of a Twisted Metal For Ps3 By next Year with Over 12 people Crashing in each other on a huge circuit where there lot of Demolition : and Effect where could hint some building get destroyed or at least some very awesome graphic : But I guess none of what i'd like would appear in a rated Teen Game -.-

also I hope he is aware that the movie is actually called Dawn of war but got renamed to war of the god somehow for the Trailler a movie who may happen to release next year :

10. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

No, I didn't. Copying is copying. He copied Devil May Cry to the letter almost! So now he's crying (pun intended) about a name AND play mechanics?!! GoW was not original creativity, he took a "similar" look and play mechanic and used it for his game. He is a hypocrite.

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

It's not even remotely close to Scrap Metal vs Twisted Metal.

Scrap Metal is EXACTLY the same as Twisted Metal. GOW is the same genre as DMC but completely different.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Thank you for being a reasonable human being.

Devil May Cry = killing demon's because they killed Dante's mom.

God of War = Killing Ares because he made Kratos kill his family.

There are two common themes here: Hack and Slash genre, and revenge. Hack and slash, as a genre, can't be strictly called copying. By that logic every game with a crosshair and guns is copying Doom (maybe not the first, but you get the idea) and every RPG is just copying old game books from the 70's and 80s. Soundgarden is just copying Boston because they have guitars and drums and play rock music. Being part of the same genre inherently leads to similarities. On the subject of revenge, you can't possibly say that Devil May Cry is the creator of, and holds the rights to, the very conecpt of revenge. It simply follows no logic.

Unlike Twisted Metal and Scrap Metal, though, there is almost nothing in common between their names. They're both three words long, they both have the letter "A" in them, they both have nouns in them... Hmm, nothing important here. Story? Other than revenge, almost nothing in common. The settings are completely different with radically different characters, unlike the two "Metal" games which are both set in staged car battles and the characters (cars) are both combat-ready road vehicles.

Tags: Add Tags