1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Which HD5770?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by otherwayup, 7 Mar 2010.

1. otherwayup

otherwayup What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm about to build my first PC and I'm a bit worried about buying the wrong thing.

As it's my first build, I was planning to follow the "What Hardware Guides", however now I've started looking at sites to actually buy the hardware I've discovered "HD5770" covers a whole host of cards, even from the same manufacturer.

Eg. ASUS do one with two DVI and another with only one, but they are virtually the same price
    Eg. Sapphire do two, one with VapourX cooling (is that good, bad etc)

Can anyone advise on relative merits of some HD5770s or point me towards an article comparing HD5770s.

Many thanks.

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The difference between most 5770s is minimal. The Vapor-X cooler is extremely well reviewed however, as it dramatically affects cooling and overclocking performance. If your not interested in overclocking, just go for one with a decent warranty and competitive price. I tend to think that its a bit of a false economy when it comes to graphics cards bundles.

3. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

there is not really a difference.if noise or heat is an issue,take the vaporX. Otherwise,take the one with the nicest graphic on the box

5. bagman

bagman Minimodder

when i buy a graphics card the one thing i do make sure is that it is a decent manufacture as i don't want to buy something which breaks and then find out that i can't send it back which is why i usually spend about 20-30 more on a graphics card compared to the cheapest one you also get other benifits like game included, higher clock speeds, and better cooler, which are all better aditions and worth the extra cost but you don't to spend like £50 more than the cheapest one unless it is a special edition card as then you are being ripped off

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Lovin' my vaporX version, been running it for a month or two, nice and quite never gets above 50 degrees

8. nsymons

nsymons What's a Dremel?

I have the original version with the bat car covering cooler (Phoenix) similar to 5850. When it spins up in 3D games it is definitely noticeable though not really loud.

There is a newer cooler (not Vapour X) that has an egg shaped shield, which is now standard for most manufacturers I believe. Anandtech did a comparison between the 2 and found this cooler was slightly better and quite alot quieter though it does not vent air out of the case.

If you are happy to pay a little more you can easily get a factory overclock and advanced cooler such as the MSI Hawk edition.

I would make sure you check you have the outputs you need and then compare price with features such as bundle, warranty, cooler and overclock.

Have fun.

Nick

9. oczzz

oczzz What's a Dremel?

Sapphire HD5770 1GB is nice card.