1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards A big mystery Crosshair III Formula

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Xini, 9 Mar 2010.

1. Xini

Xini Habitual Tinkerer

Okay so I gave up on my last PC after it developed hardware personality issues which didn't seem to want to be fixed.

I've got a shiny new Crosshair III, a 965BE, 4Gb of Corsair BEMP 1600 DDRIII and a seasonic power supply, all new, all fresh, all compatible as far as I am aware.

I plug it all in (I've installed dozens of systems and I've only hit this problem once before and that's unsolved too!!!) powered it up watching the little LCD post reporting thingy aaaaand nothing. The fans spin up, and fluctuate actually, the LCD reports nothing except system up time and yet nothing posts. It doesn't even complain when I unplug the memory or the Vapor-x 5770. Still the same, no posting, no error codes... nothing.

I've tried reconfiguring the memory, checked the CPU was in the gate properly, check the power supply and disconnected unneeded components, still nothing.

Someone give me a clue please I'm belting my head off the desk here!!!

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

DOA mobo ?

if you have tested every other component in the system it is the only one that remains.

what does the post code read ? does it have a post readout ?

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yeah I would reckon a dead mobo, where did you buy it?

4. Xini

Xini Habitual Tinkerer

Scan.

I've got no post errors or messages. It doesn't seem to even get that far though.

According to the guys at XtremeSystems I've got to try and flash the BIOS blind. Sounds a bit hit and hope but I'm willing to give it a shot at this point.

5. Teelzebub

I'm not sure you can update the bios is you cant even get into the bios? I might be wrong,
    Try taking the battery out and resetting cmos if no good I would speak to scan .

6. Xini

Xini Habitual Tinkerer

Apparently if you change the bios file to either AMIBOOT or AMIBIOS (neither has worked so can't be sure) then it'll auto update.

Of course I haven't actually managed to do this... either that or it had no effect.

I may just have to talk to Scan. However they haven't responded to my support request thus far today so I'm thinking this may take some time... :(

7. Teelzebub

I would phone them I always do that way they have to talk to you there and then.

8. Xini

Xini Habitual Tinkerer

Lol. I like your thinking.

Strange though... I always have problems with motherboards...

9. Teelzebub

Well that way they can give you a rma number over the phone beat's all that f**king about ,
    Be aware that if they find nothing wrong they will charge you £20 for testing and return post.

10. Xini

Xini Habitual Tinkerer

Problem solved, ish.

Plugged in my old power supply on the off chance. Fired right up.

A bit galling as I bought a Seasonic based on their rep for reliability and being pretty much bulletproof. Ho well another legend shattered in my career as the new Syruss!

11. Teelzebub

Good news , I always use corsair psu's never had a bad one yet.