1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Looking for an mmorpg

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Beaver, 10 Mar 2010.

1. Beaver

Beaver What's a Dremel?

Hello!

Im looking for a mmorpg style game where you control one character and upgrade its skills/equipment. I tryed league of legends but each game your level gets reset. I do not want to play world of warcraft and I want the game to be cheap if not free.

Any recomendations?

~Thanks

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Usually (but not always) the free ones aren't very good (and usually almost require you to get all the good stuff with microtransactions so it doesn't work out free really anyway).

Have you tried WoW before, if not I wouldn't write it off immediately, it's a pretty good MMO. Warhammer Age of Reckoning I thought was pretty good alternative to WoW from the trial I played.

If you're looking for something a bit different then you could try EVE Online (very heavy space sim) or Pirates of the Burning Sea. There's also Star Trek online (I didn't think that much of it from the beta) and Champions Online (a superhero MMO). There are loads more but those are the main ones.

Remember almost every MMO has a free trial so it's worth playing a few of those, they don't always give a great idea of what the game is like but it gives you a good general idea of how it plays (EVE is a good example of this, the trial period really isn't a long enough time to get to grips with everything the game has to offer as it's so vast and open).

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

4. Hg

Hg The game known as life

Give Allods ago, its currently in open beta but is very very good http://en.allods.gpotato.eu/ best of all its a free2play mmo built from the ground up, and takes alot of the good things from wow but adds soo much more :thumb:

I posted about it a few months ago when it was in closed beta so feel free to see that post which contains screenshots and more info on the game http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=180936

5. Beaver

Beaver What's a Dremel?

Ile try runes of magic. I have the trial for eve online but im staying at my mates this weekend and he seems to understand it more so hes going to show me abit more :)

I have legue of legends which I love the graphics but each game your level resets which is anoying :(

6. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Just gonna put in GuildWars, as its free to play and has an immense story.

The towns are populated areas but you live in your own world outside of the gates, meaning if you havent killed that boar yet, its still there for you to slay.

You can however form parties of 4 (i think) and roam the lands together, so not true massively multiplayer, but a lot of fun :)

7. Beaver

Beaver What's a Dremel?

Guild wars is free now? That game looks awsome. Do you have 1 character and have to upgrade its skills/equipment?

8. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Well its not free, but you can pick it up cheap, and there is no monthly subscription!
    You can have 4 characters to one account iirc.

9. Beaver

Beaver What's a Dremel?

Ahh I see bud. Im going to test RunesofMagic for now. 3hours to download the first part and theres 2 parts :/

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Don't forget Runescape!!!!!

Awesome game, and its free.

11. Beaver

Beaver What's a Dremel?

Used to play runescape Cerberus :) Had my fair time on that game, lol.

12. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

I'll put another vote in for Guild Wars, you can get the main game and all the expansions really cheap now.

You control one character at a time and upgrade class/level/equipment etc as you progress. Also has some pretty good PvP.

13. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Runes of Magic is piss poor. Allods is their new MMO and it's shaping up much better.

Age of Conan has unlimited trial atm and it's fooking huge.. you can play to level 22 with every class and after that you can buy it cheap. I had never played it but I was suitably impressed with that office.

14. Vikor243

Vikor243 What's a Dremel?

May I recommend Final Fantasy 11? The game is a subscription-based game and comes with 30 day Free Trial. It is an outdated game but the game is being consistently updated.

15. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I really like Dungeons and Dragons Online, it's free for the most part but if you get into it you will have to buy a story chain then and when. The game is different to most MMOS in the way that you won't have to grind your way through millions of mobs up to max level. Instead you get exp for the completion of dungeons, no matter how you do it.

The great part of Dungeons and Dragons is the huge variety to build your character. There is no "this is the only way it has to be done", instead you can match a build to your preference and play style.

The down side is that you cannot play all races or classes right at the beginning, some you have to unlock and for some (half-orc) you have to pay. They are ugly anyway. ;) Also you will have to reroll your first (few) toons until you get a grip of how the quite complicated skill system works.

The game is aimed at party play, after level 3-4 you'll have trouble finishing any dungeons alone on the easiest difficulty, and for the highest difficulty you need members of every class to succeed without dying all the time. Some think of this as an disadvantage, but if you want to play alone play a single player game, no MMO. Finding a party is usually no problem at all even for people like me who play for only 2-3 hours a week and this have no guild.

16. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Champions Online is completely free to play if you stick to the archetypes. You can upgrade to a gold account if you want a more open character, but you lose basically nothing by playing free to play.

Recommend you torrent the installer, though. It's 3.4GB, and if you have a slower connection like me, the provided downloader is useless. At least with a torrent, you can pause and resume the download easily.

You can solo in the game, but forming a super group is best. They also have weekend Blood Moon events every month, where you basically go around bitchsmacking zombies in groups. A bit like a WoW raid, I suppose. :D

17. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

LOTR online is now free. Gotta be worth a try.

18. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Ah, good old Runescape. It is always good to have a game that will play on almost ANY system and on ANY browser (with Java). I occasionally play it, especially when I'm in my 'MMO mood'. For my RPG mood I have Oblivion, for FPS mood I have CS:S, for AAG (Absolute Awesome Game) mood I have Minecraft etc.

Best of all, membership to Runescape adds so much for so little! For £3.50 a month you get loads more features and areas.

19. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

Does it have to be an MMMORPG? You mention an mmorpg "style" game so I'm wondering if you would be happy playing a single player RPG that works in the same kind of way. If so you should check out Morrowind and Oblivion if you haven't already.

That's a great deal. It's quite a fun game, a bit hack 'n slashy for my taste, but if you like that kind of thing it would be a great game to play. My friends love it.

lp rob1 likes this.
  20. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Another vote for LOTRO (Lord of The Rings Online). It's free to play now and by far the best MMORPG I have played. I am a Tolkien fan though so it helps. The latest version has excellent graphics (DX11 stuff im there too) and looks beautiful.