1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Odd windows 7 networking issue - solution included

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zoon, 17 Dec 2009.

1. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Not sure if anyone will have seen this before, so thought I should share it.

Windows 7 - possibly due to immature drivers for my NIC, or some other incompatibility issue - occasionally becomes unable to transmit traffic out of the NIC.

Further testing when downloading files, found this only happend when the interface stats hit approx 9.8mb of incoming traffic.

At this point, any attempt to ping out would meet with "General Failure" and only disable/enable interface, or reboot, would fix it.

Some googling later, and I found that disabling "TCP Checksum Offload" in the driver properties for the Attansic PCI-E onboard NIC Asus P5K-series motherboards resolves the issue.

Lo and behold it does - and not only that, but my ping in World of Warcraft has halved.

It apparently also works for nForce based motherboards experiencing the same problem in Windows 7.

Hope this helps someone else.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah probably a hardware issue with your nic.. the offload should actually help check the checksum values on the hardware itself- frees up some cpu

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Aye, I've had to configured this setting on servers previously, so what it does isn't foreign to me, I'd just never seen it cause networking to stall at exactly 9.75mb of incoming traffic.

Really weird.

4. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

I had the same problem, but this did'nt help... found another solution though... rolling back the driver to windows network driver for the nvidia networking card seemes to work...

5. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Hmmm, I should try these. I have to disable/enable my network adapter every time I startup 7.