1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ launches budget SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Mar 2010.

1. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

SSDs are not at the point I want yet. One day we will see 512GB and 1TB SSDs for the Price of 500GB and 1TB HDDs. I will adopt SSDs when I can get a 256GB for the price of my 1TB HDD...
    I give 2-5 years for that to be trew so I will wait for that day...

2. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

Yeah I agree. And also, why we even have to do restart the computer? I myself always put my computer on standby or hibernate whenever I'm finished with it, because it'll save a lot of time, eg. you don't have to wait it to boot, don't have to reopen all of your most used programs, etc. I only do a warm/cold boot maybe once in a week to make it fresh again. It's so simple right? After all, that's what standy/hibernate used for, to save time doing reboot!

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I was thinking the same thing.

4. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Has anyone even looked at the specs? All this talk about boot drives - its got a Read of 125MB/s and a write of 75MB/s - and that's the quoted speed which from experience I can tell you will be +/- 10% of what you get, in the end you can get a 1TB Spinpoint F3 for half the price which has roughly the same read speed, I mean ofc the SSD will be faster but for twice the price and 1/30th the storage its a nay from me

TBH, I won't even look at an SSD unless its 200+MB/s read

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But you are missing the point of the zero access time there, but I accept you might want just one large drive. As soon as you hit the OS all the taskbar apps and gadgets load at once rather than sequentially. Plus, there are advantages to a small drive for just OS, then storage for other means: if you partition a hard drive you have to wait for the heads to fire back and forth should you want to access to partition at once.

75MB write is admittedly not huge, but people with Intel G1 SSDs had similar and people lived with it. The difference is Kingstons 40GB Intel drive had a dire 40MB/s write though and you could really feel it. It's about what you really want from a storage medium: Tbh I resigning myself to maybe get a 2TB green for mass storage as all it has to do is be quiet and SSD for boot/program drive: although I couldn't do with less than a 60GB OS drive, personally. Even 7200RPM drives are "noisy" for me now - my Samsung F1s piss me off.

It will never happen. Mainstream hard drive sizes will always outweigh SSDs by sheer platter capacity alone.

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

For an ssd I think I would need a minimum of 120gb, i've already filled 110gb on my c drive.

I've got about 10 games installed a few divx videos, that's all.

I just bought an external 500gb hard drive for £45, I would like the speed of an ssd but their too small and expensive at the moment.

7. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

You have a good point about the instant access but I still don't believe its worth wasting twice the money on when you could just save up and buy a true SSD (one that provides much more noticeable results [not that any SSD will not provide noticeable results])

My hard drive is the third loudest thing in my PC after my Optical Drive (Sony Optiarc silence my butt :grrr: and my Side Panel fan) - so when I think when I upgrade I might just go for an SSD Boot drive and 5400 rpm drive too

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Your PC must be pretty silent then. I can't ever hear my hard drives and my tower is up on the desk next to the monitor. Think my side fan and heatsink fan drown them out. Processor runs hot in this old mobo though..so gotta have heatsink fan on full crack. Thankfully it's a Freezer 7 Pro not an Intel one..or I'd be deaf.

9. LT.BEECH

LT.BEECH Minimodder

could you not use the silverstonehddboost (if it works)

10. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

budget? To me a budget SSD is about £60-70 for 200gb. untill then its not budget.

11. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

What HSF do you have, I have NEVER heard my CPU fan, literally, I don't know what it sounds like, unless your ear is up against it it's inaudible

Tags: Add Tags