1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL O2 you fail!

Discussion in 'General' started by Ryu_ookami, 19 Mar 2010.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I've just been sent this email from o2

I will be quite impressed if they manage to disconnect me, especially as I've been with Talk Talk as my ISP for the past five weeks.

2. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Lol wtf? Phishing email perhaps?

3. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Doubt it, there asking him to ring up o2, not send info over email.

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Haha, quality, lets wait and see what happens, and if you suddenly stop posting on the boards in about 30 days, then we know it's true.

Sam

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

6. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Rude? Well he is German....

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

That's some pretty remarkable fail if you been with another company for 5 weeks. xD

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Can i ask why you left? Im leaving o2 myself due to crappy speeds. Do you have to send everything back that they give you or just the router?

9. Ryu_ookami

The reason I left 02 was because I was on home broadband access package and the speed capping on torrents was diabolical I was lucky if my torrents downloaded at 12kbps (thats in total btw not each).

Ok I just rang Talk Talk and confirmed that the switch over did take place (I know it had as I've just paid them but just to confirm it) then I rang o2 and got a guy on the line who attempted to access the phoneline to check via BT's systems even though I told him its no longer a BT Account. He then admitted, he couldn't access it.

At this point he started claiming that BT were still sending the traffic usage reports to o2 and that it would be stopped today.

His reason that o2 were still getting the reports is that Talk Talk didn't use a Mac code during the change over?

Not sure that I believe It. I'm just glad to be shot of o2. When I first joined up they were a decent provider but for some reason shortly before Christmas they went rapidly down hill both in terms of service and customer support.

10. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Strange, I'm with O2 and my torrents are not capped.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think it depends on which service you get from O2 - is it 24Mb or 8Mb? The 8Mb is pretty much just BT by another name, whereas the 24 is LLU'd and lovely. :D

12. Ryu_ookami

yeah, its the access package it was the only one available for o2 at the local exchange and its capped horrendously

13. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

My daughter signed up with TalkTalk had a new line installed to her new flat phone was live after a couple of weeks but no broadband , After around 2 months of phone calls to them on the line they installed thet told her the order had been canceled and the phone line had been returned the original provider ?? She's now signed up with plusnet.
    Also I was with tiscali and talktalk took them over I had non stop calls from them trying to get me to change phone and broadband to them and told me something different every time speeds that I knew I cant get so I went with plusnet, Yesterday I got a letter from talktalk saying that my broadband would finish on the 29th of march and I could go with another provider then, Strange since I've been with plusnet for 2 weeks now.
    They dont know their ass's from their elbows hope you have better luck with them

14. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Yup, there's your problem - no LLU.
    The internet sucks in the UK without it. :(

O2 is great as long as you're on a LLU exchange.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm glad you posted this, because I have been having problems with o2 broadband myself recently. Perhaps some of you can help. I signed up for their standard 8Mb package and was receiving about 4 for the first year or so. That's great, because here you're lucky to get over 3. So all is fine in my world and I run my torrentbox for a few months (yes, I do... get over it) then about 3 weeks ago, I notice that my speed has dropped dramatically. When I have even one download open (server based or P2P) or even if I'm streaming something on youtube, pages load noticeably slower and the connection only tests as 1.2-1.5Mb with no activity on the network. Is this the capping you're talking about? I was under the impression that o2 did not cap connection speeds, but now I've heard here that it's only on LLU exchanges that no capping will occur.

Now, I've had no correspondance from o2 to say that my connection is being capped because of excess download activity, but apparently the OP has. Could anyone shed some light on what I might do in this situation? Surely o2 can't consider (from the OP) that using the internet more is grounds for accusing someone of reducing the quality of other people's connection?

If I do have to change ISP's, I'll be fairly pissed tbh. I've got o2 broadband connections at both houses and they are both on my o2 mobile account, along with my mobile broadband account. That's handy because I can keep track of everything on the one account but I'll not be pleased if I find that they cap my speed just because I use the internet more than some other people.

16. Ryu_ookami

It works like this, since December o2 have started capping almost everybody who is on the home access package.

The easiest way to find out if you're being capped is to go here and check to see if your exchange is LLU enabled for o2 if its not then its a pretty sure bet you're being capped.

The reason being that It means that your connection will run through BT's equipment. so Be/o2 have to pay BT for the bandwidth if they're using their equipment so they in their inifinite wisdom decieded it was easier to cap everybody on the access package rather than pay for the necessary bandwidth.

Though if you do ring o2 don't mention speed capping as they apparently don't like the term. Everytime I've used the term when talking to them before signing up to Talk talk they shortly thereafter had problems with they systems and asked me to ring back later. It would appear that they prefer the term traffic management.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2010
  17. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

O2 are systematically denying that they cap downloads. There is a huge thread on their support forums about it!

18. Unicorn

That is some incredibly useful information in just two posts guys, thanks a lot! From the SamKnows search, I've found out that my exchange is capable of LLU services for o2 & be, so it must be that o2 are capping. I know o2 are denying it, that's what I would do in their position too, but after all, Clinton Denied the Lewinsky thing for months as well :rolleyes:

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

The info that link give's isn't acurate it say's my exchange is LLU enabled with three ISP's , I've spoke to all three and they say it isn't and BT agree's with them.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Mar 2010
  20. Unicorn

It says mine is as well but I'm not sure tbh. I'll have to investigate, because knowing BT Northern Ireland, I'd have to assume that it's probably not enabled.

Well I've pretty much decided to call o2 tomorrow and cancel both my broadband accounts. I'm hearing good things about TalkTalk since they got taken over, so unless o2 want to give me the "uncapped" (or as they'd like to call it, "non traffic managed") premium package for a bit less at both addresses I'm going to switch to TT. Just over a month ago, I was getting 4Mb, now I'm struggling to get 1.5. That is simply unacceptable.

By the way, I'm not sure throwing it in the discussion here is a good idea or not, but it seems ryu has already been a victim of it - Does anyone know any confirmed details of the "three strike system" as in if it's being introduced (which I believe it is), when and which ISPs are going to enforce it? I would imagine the ISPs who do will see sales drop quite dramatically if and when it becomes the law.