1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BitDefender update wipes Windows

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Matt BD

Matt BD What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

We are very sorry for the problems people may have had in regards to this issue.

We have been providing information to our users via support articles that are updated regularly as we implement solutions:

Home users will find solutions here: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#638

BitDefender Business Client users will find solutions here: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#643

BitDefender Security for File Servers users will find solutions here: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#642

If anyone has further problems please let me know here and I will help you to deal with them.

Best,

Matt Hicks
    BitDefender UK

3. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

WTH did they do any testing whatsoever before releasing it?

4. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I could understand if it affected a small userbase, but how the hell can they miss Win 7 x64?!

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I find it quite ironic that anti-virus software, when it goes wrong, can do much more damage than your average virus. I recently used some reputable anti-virus software on a PC at work and it deleted some system files, meaning a fresh install is now needed. It's my fault I guess, I should have checked the files it was about to delete but I've grown used to simply clicking 'remove all'!

6. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Whis is why i dont keep my anti-virus on..

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I did an update before I switched my pc off last night. Man I hope it wasn't the dodgy update...

Edit: I'm not on my home computer at the moment

Last edited: 22 Mar 2010
  8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Wow epic.

9. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

I also don't use Antivirus, even the most efficient one out there, MSSE causes times out and 'not repsonding' errors when accessing other drives and partitions. I use a free firewall enhancement (Win 7 Firewall control by Sphinx) and Spybot, Spybot can be used to scan downloads and suspicious files and runs live by the 'Tea Timer'. Most of the other AV progs I've used, the worst being Kaspersky, are worse than having a Virus themselves.

10. MitchBomcanhao

MitchBomcanhao What's a Dremel?

FAIL. yet another reason not to use antivirus software... not only I do not get any viruses anyway, but i would risk the antivirus doing more harm than most viruses around XD

11. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

this is why i regually backup my system files

copy and paste only taeks 5minsto fix this

12. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

I've had a bunch of these come into the shop over the years, with AV software killing system files through false-positive ID. It is a testing issue. It's essential to get new definitions out there fast, but smaller companies don't seem to have time to test, or to test thoroughly. It's madness. Bullguard used to do it regularly - horrible software [they gave me 30 copies free last year, at least the disk cases were useful], Kaspersky is nearly as bad. AVG has done it once too. MSSE has never done this [yet], but as Mr Cybergenics says it can bog down when new volumes are added, especially flash based ones.
    Providing you have access to another machine this is simple to fix, but it should never happen in the first place.

My own personal setup is currently MSSE and Spybot for browser security and to cover the holes missed by MSSE. WHS backup makes a full disk restore take 10 mins or so.

Remember kids always look at what the AV has identified before you click remove/quarantine. Stay safe out there.

13. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

RFL!
    Nuff said.
    Avast Cheesecake :)

14. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I have to say, respect to BitDefender getting out there and spreading the word on how to fix the issue as per Matt's post.
    I'm more used to the larger companies trying to hide the issues.

Having said that, it does highlight the issue that there is no safety out there other than education and a little luck.
    zero-day exploits are increasingly common and no matter how good your AV prog is, if its relying up signature updates to catch things, its still a reactionary process.
    This means there's always a window for the user's PC to contract the virus before a signature can be written for it.
    Or, the other extreme is that they rush out poorly tested sigs due to time pressures and mistakes can be made.

I see AV going the way of firewalls.
    Originally, firewalls were set to allow all and block specific threats.
    Now they're generally block all and allow specific ports.

Anyway, I'm AV free for now and happy.
    I use Linux when I can, can't wait til all AAA games are released for Linux and Windows simultaneously then I'll be Linux exclusively. :D

15. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

1 post and join date today? Does that not ring any alarm bells for anyone else here that it may be 1 of 2 things, 1) He's a spammer and 2) He wants people to think that he is a bitdefender employee and while he's "help[ing] you deal with them" he might be trying to scam you into doing something you shouldn't?

Maybe I'm just more wary of these things than other people but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.....

16. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Well it is understandable. Any software that slows your machine down and empties your bank account has to be malware. I can see how Bitdefender got confused. ;)

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

will only be a matter of time before avast has a similar problem

to the person spouting linux, will only be a matter of time before, like any other operating system, you will need antivirus.

even mac users are not totally protected, ok at the moment there are a small number of viruses that attack mac, but as it becomes more popular, so the virus writers will target more and more.

18. Matt BD

Matt BD What's a Dremel?

Hi,

You make a good point - we have had some problems with scammers trying to direct people to false url's over this isssue.

If anyone is in doubt about my previous post, please just find BitDefender through a search engine and visit one of our official sites - you should get the information you need from the news section on there.

Thanks,

Matt Hicks
    BitDefender

19. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Being that he's not trying to direct us to websites like bitdefender.net or biitdefender.com, I'd hazard a guess that he's legit.

20. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Whilst it is true that more people will try to compromise a mac or 'nix system as it grows in popularity, the amount of damage a virus can do to a typical unix system is minimal thanks to everyone using a user account. Its the people who use XP or turn off UAC in Vista or Service Pack 3 that give any executable free reign over their system.

There will always be browser exploits letting the side down, but any damage a virus can do to nix is limited to the user's home folder, unless they are silly enough to put the admin password in when prompted.

Willing to be proved wrong, but that's the way I see it.

Tags: Add Tags