1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by otherwayup, 22 Mar 2010.

1. otherwayup

otherwayup What's a Dremel?

Hi,

My old PC was a Median from PC World (I think) with XP Home Premium pre-installed. The XP key is on a sticker on the PC case.

Can I use this key if I buy a Windows 7 Upgrade and perform custom install on my brand new PC I'm just putting together?

Thanks,

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

The old key would've been an OEM key.

The licensing terms for OEM keys usually state that the license is transferable as long as you keep a certain number of main components.

Its a very flaky area. Suffice it to say, the Windows 7 Upgrade disk will be satisfied you met the upgrade requirements, but the license terms themselves may not be. Does it matter if you paid money for your new Windows and it activates as genuine? Personally I don't think it does matter. Microsoft still get the dosh.

If you're a student, you can get cheaper Windows licenses, or MSDNAA too.

Hope this helps.

3. otherwayup

I was going to look at the Student Upgrade as it's my son's PC, but hadn't heard of MSDNAA before.

I'll contact the school to see if they are AA registered etc. Are AA prices less than Student then?

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Things from MSDNAA are free. However unless your son is at uni and doing a relevant course, or possibly at a 6th form, the likelihood of them being signed up to MSDNAA is low as it costs.

5. otherwayup

I'm planning to do Custom Install (I.e. Clean Install) with the Windows 7 Upgrade CDs (MS site indicates this is possible) and had assumed I would just be asked to enter my old XP key at some point. However, someone at work has suggested I may have to actually put an XP CD in.

Is that correct?

Hope not, I only have a System Recovery Disc and not standalone XP discs. :eeek:

6. skybarge

skybarge just chilling at work

If it's a retail or OEM Win 7 upgrade, it won't need the XP disc,

not even the family pack needs it, although from a EULA PoV you really should have an XP licence(OEM is fine)

7. October

October Mariachi Style

The upgrade installs over the top, all it needs is a pre-exiting Windows folder on the hard drive. If it finds that you're good to go.

8. skybarge

skybarge just chilling at work

That is only for upgrading from Vista or Win7 basic,

For XP, you need to use the file migration wizard from Microsoft, it doesn't need a Windows folder, you can have a fully formatted HDD :) and it'll still install