1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft compensating for DRM with free games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Too little, too late.

3. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

The thing is I brought Assassins Creed 2 to play Assassins Creed 2, not Shawn White or Prince of Persia. So its not really making the whole situation any better.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

At least they are bothering to try to make amends. Even if it's not enough..it is something. And that's better than nothing in my book.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

How about making amends by getting rid of this dreadful implementation of DRM? There are other more user friendly DRM systems out there.

6. human_error

human_error What's a Dremel?

Unless additional content = DRM free version of AC2 then it isn't enough.

I won't be buying settlers 7 until all this rubbish is removed by ubisoft...

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I think it unlikely they will remove the DRM on those titles. But I imagine that they either: won't use it again or that they will refine it. EA messed up with the DRM on Spore and Mass Effect by only letting people have a certain number of installs. Gamers went bonkers over it and EA no longer use it. Using DRM that loses you revenue is self defeating, hence my opinion that Ubisoft won't use that particular kind again. (if they have any sense)

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

EA is going to use it - I heard that CnC4 uses something similar.

All DRM does, is to slow release of DRM stripped editions from being torrented/etc. It only hurts the honest consumer, but does nothing to the pirate. Companies apparently have dumb dumb dumb anti-piracy teams.

9. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Stop being Douche bags and cut the DRM out.......theres your answer Ubisoft.

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

"We have to put DRM on games because everyone on the internet thinks everything should be free."

"Here, have a free game."

Er.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Two words, Crack it.

Crack it, indulge yourself in your evilness and crack it. You've bought it anyway, so what the heck?

Same cure :D

GTAIV though, with darn GFWL and Rockstar social club...even the stupid steam variant won't run offline. :miffed:

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

So..

To fix the issue of users being shafted, they're going to shaft the users that paid for the limited editions?

Smooth move!

13. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

What a load of bull! If you have problems with DRM, then they should offer a DRM free option. I know that's kinda pointless since most people with this issue have probably downloaded some crack of sorts. Either way, I'm not buying this game purely because of the DRM. If I have to be on line to play a single player game, and can't save my game if I'm not on line, get disconnected, then what's the point?

14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

lol, more like;

'we have to use DRM, god forbid people who actually paid for the game should be able to play it with less hassle than someone who's downloaded the game and cracked it'.

15. Matticus

Matticus ...

Would be fun for the people who paid extra for the limited editions, do they get even extra free stuff. Doubt it.

I really do not understand (rubbish) DRM, if we remove the people who refuse to buy the games due to the DRM from the equation and just assume we have buyers and pirates. Surely the cost to implement a DRM into the game, the extra development time to add in the DRM, the cost to keep all their servers running, the damage to their reputation and time and effort spent making silly gestures like this costs a lot more than losing a few paying customers because its easier to illegally download? Then we can add back in the customers who are now willing to buy because its not full of DRM... *sigh*

16. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

The issues I have had with GFWL and GTA4... makes me wish I had pirated the game in the first place.

17. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

I use no DVD cracks where I can, I hate having to put the disc in the drive just for a disc-check, it's like being penalised for buying it....

18. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

FAIL. AGAIN.
    I vote with my wallet.

19. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

I wanted to get AC2, unfortunately I have mobile broadband and line disconnections can be quite common (along with data allowance). I don't mind going online to register a game in order to play (just the once though!), but to be online for a single player is just carp.

I am playing ME2 at the moment and only need to go online to activate any new DLC that I have - not to play through the game!.

20. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

That's not fixing the problem. Seems like another "screw you gamers, our bottom line is more important" way of thinking. almost feels like "we know what the problem is but we're not willing to compromise to fix it." too. contrary to popular belivef not everyone has an internet connection on every port in their house. what if you don't have one "you're not good enough to play our game"?

Tags: Add Tags