1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics EVGA 8800GT Code 43

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kingozzy666, 28 Mar 2010.

1. kingozzy666

kingozzy666 BLASHYRKH!

Hi
    Basically I was playing mirrors edge yesterday when the game completely froze and green pixellated artifacts appeared all over the screen. I restarted the computer and it seemed fine. However, a couple of hours later I was playing again and the same thing happened. This time when I restarted there were purple artifacts on the boot screen and in the BIOS and when windows loaded it was running in basic graphics mode (8bit or 16bit colour with no aero effects). I went to device manager and the 8800GT had an exclamation mark and a Code 43 which says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems." I uninstalled all the drivers and installed the latest drivers but the artifacts still appear on boot and the exclamtion mark is still present. Is there anything else I can do or is the card dying?

Also this card had been running happily for nearly 2 years up to now

NB The thread title should read 8800GT

2. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

In my experience coloured artifacts are always heat related, it's cooked itself. :(

3. kingozzy666

kingozzy666 BLASHYRKH!

The artifacts are only at boot though, there aren't any in windows. The card has been going for nearly 2 years without issues in a well ventilated Antec 900. Heat certainly isn't an issue.

4. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

There's artifacts, it happens after a period of time, and Windows thinks it's knackered. What else do you think it could be but a dying card?
    There aren't any artifacts in Windows because it's not [Code 43] being driven. Therefore not getting hot enough to artifact.
    The 8800GT was always a hot running card, it's also prone to heat death after a couple of years as the springs holding the stock cooler on weaken over time and the TIM loses it's grip.
    This is not solely an 8800GT problem, natch, I had an OC 4850 do the same.

Sorry but it's time to take that card out to the barn and put it out of it's misery. :(

Last edited: 28 Mar 2010
  5. kingozzy666

kingozzy666 BLASHYRKH!

Bah. Annoyingly I've just realised that the card is no longer in warranty because I forgot to register it within 30 days of purchase :duh: Lucky I have some money at the moment.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2010
  6. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

same thing happend to my 8800GTX, after instaling the safe 196.21 drivers, which cooked it instantly:waah:
    ive had it since initial release, however being its a BFG, with unriveled warrenty, the replacement is due on wednesday:clap:

7. kingozzy666

kingozzy666 BLASHYRKH!

Alright rub it in :rolleyes:

8. MorpheusUK

MorpheusUK a Noob that knows something

just a thought here, have you tried removing the card, giving it a bit of a clean, re-insert and boot up in VGA mode, re-install or install the latest drivers?

9. kingozzy666

kingozzy666 BLASHYRKH!

Yep tried all that, still same error. GPU-Z registers the core and memory clock both at 0MHz I think the core and memory must have failed.

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Or its more likely that its reporting zero because windows has disabled the device.

Its just died from old age.

I've been lucky with my 8800GT, I got it not long after they were released, and its still going. I fitted a Thermalright HR-03GT to mine though, so idles temps of 40 and load temps of 50. :D

11. Raptorkid

Raptorkid What's a Dremel?

I don't know how much, if any, help this is, but if it's out of warranty anyway, you could always try the oven method?

12. kingozzy666

kingozzy666 BLASHYRKH!

Meh I think it's beyond help. I've bought a 5770 to replace it from scan. Delivered tommorow hopefully :)