1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 1,536MB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 27 Mar 2010.

1. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

im pretty sure the DX9 stuff only happened on the demo - the full game did the DX11 stuff properly for nvidia cards. still, nvidia themselves used the demo because they knew it would use the DX9 codepath which gave them much higher performance. unfortunately they would also compare it against the HD5870 framerates which used the DX11 codepath. just another of the reasons hate nvidia

2. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

480 listed at £499 on novatech....

Bah ha ha ha ha ha!!!

You can keep it nvidia!

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Well, we used the full version for sure. Again, I'll double check come monday morning!

4. dec

dec [blank space]

If drivers dont make it ALOT better im afraid there might be a GTX 295 equivalent in fermi.

@Pete J - if you can cook a steak on it, I should get one and toss my stove although the card draws more power

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The time for a large chip per generation is coming to close.

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'm getting 404 errors on the pics on page two of the bare PCB, I was looking for Bindi's dremel work. :eek:

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

There's a few errors in the article.

Like the GTX470 having 53 TUs and not 54.
    The GTX 480 having a GDDR3 memory controller.

That's all I could find.

8. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

hmmmm. . . a little disapointing for me, but then while I've been looking around at some of the benchmarks from various sites it seems more aparent to me that you have to buy your card dependant on the games that you like. seems like each engine prefers one card or the other in most casses that I've seen. I also wonder at the drivers not being mature since the Crysis numbers seem like they're all over the place. Makes me wish I had unlimited funds, I could buy one ATI machine for the games that favor them and an Nvidia machine for the other games and programs that take advantage of their hardware. I think I'll hold off judgement until the product is more mature. although the temperatures, I have to say, are much higher than I think is safe. we'll see what happens, NVidia's costs for this chip are probably too high to have it be a direct competitor with the 5870.

9. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

What do 2 470's perform like?

10. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I'm pretty sure I've read elsewhere that the memory controller in GF100 supports both DDR3 and DDR5, so that may not be an error.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

oh I know, they are certainly turning into Intel with all there BS and lies and manipulations, its getting really annoying. ><

12. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I am both glad and disappointed. I like innovation as much as the next guy so it's always nice to see a card that can blow the socks off of anything it comes up against but I am in no way an Nvidia fan so I am happy they ****ed themselves over.

Oh well, all that hype for nothing. :(

13. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

i would like to see 2 480GTX in sli vs 2 5870 in crossfire ^^

14. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

if this card hits 95C at 100% fan (and stays there), i certainly hope nvidia bug test their drivers in future ;)

15. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Any bugs will be likely to perish from the heat ;)

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Quick! Someone call the RSPCA!

17. Phifty Cal

Phifty Cal What's a Dremel?

It's really quite dissapointing to see this perform so badly. I hoped it could force prices down on the 5870 so I could pick another one up for CF. Oh well. But I bet there will still be able to sell the small amount of cards there are to the nVidia fanboys.

Apart from releasing the 512 core 'full fat' chip I don't see how nVidia can improve this situation much. The cards are definitely far too hot for there to be a dual-GPU version, so it looks like the 5970 will still be the king of cards. Shame I wanted a little competition in the marketplace. Good for all us consumers :)

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately they have lost the plot with this one. Why might be the question.

I think ATi caught them unaware with there 5xxx series. What nVidia should have done is taken there time as we originally heard.

Now if ATi is clever they should take there time with the rumoured 6xxx and hit the road running so to speak from the launch day as with there software, unlike the 5xxx series where they nearly made a huge mistake. Even some of us were unset with the grey stripes on our screens.

19. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

Reviews like this make me all the more glad I bought a pair of 5870's back when they launched.

20. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I'm a bit confused as to why people keep saying the GTX480's performance is complete crap when it's mainly being compared to a dual GPU card (the 5970).

Granted, it's a bit underwhelming, and it's power consumption is through the roof, but, the 5970 still has 2 GPUs last I checked (and also costs 700$).

I'd like to see 2 GTX480s in SLI and then stack em up against the 5970 to get an accurate 1:1 comparison.

Tags: Add Tags