1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Do you use Mouse Acceleration in games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rofl_Waffle, 25 Mar 2010.

?

Do you like mouse acceleration?

1. Yes, I love mouse acceleration

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. No, I hate mouse acceleration

58 vote(s)
    85.3%
  1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I've used it since forever and I'm totally used to it now. I don't know why you guys hate it so much, a pointing device isn't a natural gesture anyway, so it takes practice to gain precision.

2. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

It reduces precision by making it harder to translate what your hand is doing to what you expect to happen on screen. I'm sure it's possible to get used to, but it pisses me off no end.

3. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Same here.

As for the argument that it's not constant, and that it accelerates based on how fast you move the mouse, well I find that useful. You can aim slowly/accurately for sniping, for example, then mouse the mouse really quickly (eg. if you get spotted) to do a 90/180 degree turn and run away. And you don't have to mouse your hand that much.

However, I must say that for me it depends on the game. For all Source games I have to have mouse acceleration on because it just feels right. Other games may be different. Take Bad Company 2 for instance, I still can't get use the mouse sensitivity on that. Turning acceleration on/off seems to make no difference. I have heard of others experiencing problems with this game though.

4. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

I have always just presumed that's how mouses work, I quite like being able to do large and small movements without having to move the mouse to much. Not sure how I would get on if I turned it off.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I can't stand it. My theory on it is that there are two types of people when it comes to cursor pointing: the type who move in a manner that should get there, and the type who move until they are. The former prefer mouse acceleration being off, they prefer a standard translation of hand movement to screen movement so they can consistently judge screen distance and move their hands accordingly. Advantages being the ability to aim at any one point on the screen in a similar amount of time as any other point, disadvantage being that if you miss, or your target moves, you have to either recalculate how far to move, or revert to the latter method which you aren't familiar with. The latter is more for those who think in a "say when" fashion. Your mouse is travelling at whatever speed you feel like and it keeps going indefinitely until your brain says "when" and stops on target. This makes for more fluid aiming and can follow moving targets well. Also, over time you can get used to it and learn to behave like the former method and be a master of all trades. Disadvantage being lower accuracy for farther away points on the screen as acceleration kicks in and less ability for twitch aiming.

But hey, it's probably nothing like that.

Krikkit likes this.
  6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think that's a pretty interesting theory there Sloth.

I reckon it's probably just a mental thing - mouse acceleration is still relatively constant, it's just doing an extra differential instinctively.

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I don't think it is set to 'on' by default in Windows 7.

In your start menu, type Mouse, then go to that settings box, then Pointer Options.

Enhance Pointer Precision is the setting for mouse acceleration (I think), and mine was unticked (having never been altered).

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I just flick the DPI settings up/down if need be, but I do hate software-controlled acceleration

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Always had it on, never bothered me. Learned how to play FPSes with it enabled. :eek:

10. steleet

steleet Did he death?

11. magzarelli

magzarelli FanMan

I play fps games so i dont use it.

12. Anarki

Anarki CULV fan

I've been playing FPS games for almost 10 years and I always hated it.
    Using it with an operating system is ok, but in games you can never be as accurate as you are without any acceleration imo.

13. Daytona178

Daytona178 What's a Dremel?

For gaming i prefer using just cheap generic mice...are they not 800dpi?

14. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

To be honest the statistic is strong enough. I can say nobody likes mouse accerleration.

Why does all console ports have it and why do some not have a fix for it?
    If you are a game designer and reading this. Please no mouse acceleration for any games ever!!

15. banshee256

banshee256 What's a Dremel?

I've been away from the 'serious' gaming scene for quite a while now (since UT2004 launched to be exact), but back then, we turned the mouse speed all the way DOWN, not up. Sure, we needed about half a metre of space to move the mouse, but the precision was insane.

When did this flip? Or were we just wrong and it was all in our heads?

On topic: I hate mouse acceleration with a passion. Reasons have already been given by others.

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

no

you were right. Consolified games changed that. Nowadays it's all about slow movements and fast mouse

it sucks tbh

Vive UT

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Okay guys I found a solution for those of you that want to disable it completely in windows 7 :D

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

it works perfectly, as long as you don't change the sensitivity in windows, otherwise it comes back. What I did was just to set the DPI of the mouse to 800 and it's awesome now. I did the ultimate test, aka UT99, and there was no acceleration/mouselag anymore ! It was just like the good old days :D