1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amazon plans 'boxing videos'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

This would not solve anything... As a customer, my issue would not be if you packed the item or not, but if I received the item or not.

3. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Really? A patent for taking photographs of things going into a box? *sigh*

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Quite elaborate for an April Fools.

5. DirtyH

DirtyH What's a Dremel?

your one day early :p

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I have never got the point of unboxing videos. Probably because there isn't one? That said, this manages to be even more useless waste of everyones' time.

7. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

All this would prove is that a photo has been taken of your items, not that the item arrived.

8. Doomah

Doomah What's a Dremel?

So you cant accuse Amazon of not posting your items. Now you can profe 2 things:
    1) You didn't get the item
    2) Amazon did send the item

So the blame is now at the post delivery company.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Unfortunately, seems like that patent really exists. One more reason to scrap the whole patent system in US.

10. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

Post deleted: I need to read the article properly before I post.

11. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Yeah, but Amazon still haven't fufilled their obligation to give you the goods you paid for since you've not actually received them...

Just because you can prove somebody shipped something to you in a certain state, it doesn't prove that you received them in that state.

12. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

But if Amazon have shipped it all correctly, then it's the Post Office who are at fault, not Amazon.

I can kind of see this working, if the recording process is fully automated and and the video is delivered to the customer with the "Your Order Has Been Dispatched" email. It also would mean that if your order was damaged due to bad packaging you have proof of that too.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

So what's the "Unboxing Video" part?
    Am I now required to film myself opening packages?

I've had the same thing happen the other way round. I sent Amazon two camera's back, and they claimed to have only received one... So one went missing either in the post or in their unpacking department. (took the worst one as well)
    Luckily, I got my money back anyway...since then I'm an Amazon fan.

14. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

So now I'm not allowed to take photos of the packages I send on ebay? Good idea, stupid patent. Surely it's like patenting the idea of using photos to prove something.

15. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

All this actually proves is that some point the items went into a box. Between the last shot of the goods in the box, and being handed to the courier/post office, any number of people could handle it.

And unless it is a full video of the packaging process, then it won't work. If its still shots: Worker puts goods in box, photo taken, worker sneakily pulls item out of box and into pocket, box sealed, dispatched, delivered.

16. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

Surely this doesn't really prove anything.
    I could take a picture of me putting an item into a box, take the item back out and take a picture of me sealing the box.

Edit:Seems scrumble posted the same thing as I was typing!

Last edited: 31 Mar 2010
  17. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

If people are making false claims then obviously thats a big headache for an etailer, also you have the issue of dodgy employees and the postal service. You can't trust anyone these days !

18. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

ooohhhhh... so this is why America has a record on patents per year!!! its all clear now

19. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Yeah, but just because Amazon rely on the postal service to deliver a package, it doesn't mean they aren't responsible for the package not arriving in your hands.

For example, one of the posters already talked about sending items back, e.g. for RMAs. You're the one responsible for getting the item delivered back to the company... they aren't going to have any of it if you were like "Blame the postal service since i shipped it myself and have this photo of it". And just like that Amazon are still responsible for getting the delivery to you.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

This. It's the sender's responsibility to choose a shipping method that will work and it's the sender's responsibility to handle situations in which their chosen method has failed.

Also, this boxing video isn't just about proving they sent you a box, it's about proving what they put in the box so people can't open the box, take everything out, and lie they only got half of it from Amazon to get free items.

Tags: Add Tags