1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop for Sister

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cerberus90, 1 Apr 2010.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

My sister is wanting a laptop for her birthday for university.

Pretty much just going to be used for web browsing/msn/word etc.

Usual sort of basic stuff.

I've taken a look on the dell website.

Clicky

The first one at £459 seems pretty good, with a core i5.

Or, would the second one at £479 be better as its got 4GiB Ram and a larger HDD, but it only has a core i3.

So, question is basically, core i5 or core i3? Is the difference going to be enough to warrant dropping RAM to 3GiB?

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Obviously don't have the kind of grasp on her tastes and needs as you do, but going by the tasks mentioned it would seem that taking more of a netbook approach could be better. Cheap, light, trendy, what's not to like? Found a pretty beefy Asus from Scan. £401.83 inc VAT. And that one might even be a little overkill. I know the loving brother and PC enthusiast inside would love to get a pretty powerful machine, but be careful of getting overzealous :)

This all assuming that screen size has nothing to do with it, if she really enjoys something larger than 12" then netbooks are a moot point. Sorry for not answering your actual question by the way!

3. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

For what she will be using it for any Core2 system with more than 2Gb of RAM will be plenty

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Oh yes, should have mentioned.

screen size should be around 15". :wallbash:

loving brother, :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Just want to make sure she gets a decent system that'll last. I built her the PC she's using atm, with an E5200, 2GiB RAM (I think) and Vista 64bit, and its always seemed to struggle a bit. Especially after its been used for ages, and been filled up the the sort of junk teenage girls fill their computers with, :D.

She also doesn't want a netbook as the keyboards are too small.

Also, I sort of put the idea of a netbook aside too, as I've got a Samsung NC10, which I know isn't the same as that one you linked to at scan, but it can't be that much worse. And I know I wouldn't want the NC10 to be my main computer for 3 years +.

Thanks for the help guys. I suppose any 'i' based laptop is going to be more than capable for general use.

5. Anarki

Anarki CULV fan

If I were your sister, I would like to have seen the laptop I'm gonna get before actually getting it. You know girls, they can be very picky about design :D
    Other than that, just go for the cheapest offer since anything relatively new on the market will do great for web browsing/msn/word etc (Core i3 included).

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

yeh, I think we're going to go down to PC World or something to take a look at the dell one.

I'm not actually buying it, its my grandma and aunty who are clubbing togethor to buy it, so as I'm the only one who knows anything about computers, I've got to reccomend one.

Dell one seems pretty good value, and its easy too. :D

7. Anarki

Anarki CULV fan

Dell laptops are know to be pretty reliable too, they're always one of my choices when someone asks for laptop advice.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

id go dell for a uni laptop just dont let them sell you a 20 year warranty or whatever junk they try to add

9. kovacs

kovacs What's a Dremel?

size has nothing to do with it, if she really enjoys something larger than 12". quoted by sloth.Context is everything